Internet on Palm Pilot Pro??

January 9, 2005 5:28:49 PM

I was given a Palm Pilot Professional for Christmas this year. I was using
it, and I like the features it has, but it seems to not be complete without
internet access. If someone would inform me as to what progs I must
download, and what requirements I must have to be able to access the
internet from the palm, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Durden
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:50 PM

A Palm Pilot Professional was one of the first Palm models, and I don't
think that it has the capability to get on the internet. I know it
doesn't have Bluetooth or WiFi, and I'm not even sure if it has IrDa.
If it does have an infrared port, then theoretically it's possible, but
I'm not sure it's still realistically able to.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:36:32 PM

"Alex Durden" <disclaimer226@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I was given a Palm Pilot Professional for Christmas this year. I was using
> it, and I like the features it has, but it seems to not be complete without
> internet access. If someone would inform me as to what progs I must
> download, and what requirements I must have to be able to access the
> internet from the palm, It would be greatly appreciated.

I had one of these which I bought when they first came out.

As I recall there were several ways to get Internet access. Other folks have
mentioned several, so I won't repeat them. There are two I was interested in,
though I never did get either of them.

Both covered the entire back of the unit, adding perhaps 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch
to it's thickness and either an inch to the top or bottom. One attached to the
serial port at the bottom, the other replaced the memory card and memory card
cover at the top. It had a lot of it's software in ROMs for rapid access via
the memory interface, and ran pretty quick because all the hardware was memory
mapped. The most distinct thing I remember about this one was that it used a 9V
transistor radio battery which was sort of stuck on the top. It was enclosed
parallel to the top of the machine, but it was obvious that's what was up there.
Both were wireless. I *think* both had obvious antennas sticking out of the
top, like most cell phones of the era. Basically, they were cell phone/modem
combinations. One of them, if I'm remembering correctly, actually let you make
phone calls with it too. One of them used a proprietary service, which I'd
guess is gone now. The other had basically hacked up a version of Dial Up
Networking so it could connect to AOL or MSN or whatever you wanted to. It had
a for real browser on it, which somehow handled pictures by gross compression
and text by rearranging and font reduction. I don't remember exactly what the
other one did, but I think it was mostly text with the ability to call up
pictures in some cases. Both of theses took advantage of the early Palms
limited gray-scale capabilities. I can't at this far point remember the names
of either of these companies.

- Bill
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:55:45 AM

On 9 Jan 2005 12:40:19 -0800, "Nusm" <jnewsome@gmail.com> wrote:

>A Palm Pilot Professional was one of the first Palm models, and I don't
>think that it has the capability to get on the internet. I know it
>doesn't have Bluetooth or WiFi, and I'm not even sure if it has IrDa.
>If it does have an infrared port, then theoretically it's possible, but
>I'm not sure it's still realistically able to.

They made modems for the early Palms which clipped on the bottom at
the serial port.

That said, except for email the Pilot Pro likely is too slow and has
too little memory to handle modern Internet functions well.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:00:15 AM

Nusm wrote:

> A Palm Pilot Professional was one of the first Palm models, and I don't
> think that it has the capability to get on the internet. I know it
> doesn't have Bluetooth or WiFi, and I'm not even sure if it has IrDa.
> If it does have an infrared port, then theoretically it's possible, but
> I'm not sure it's still realistically able to.

A PalmPilot modem was made; it's a 9600 bps modem (38.4 kbps with
compression). With that, you can dial in to a PPP or SLIP server and get
an Internet connection. It's going to be slow, though, and the PalmPilot
modem was not wireless, so you have to be hooked to a phone line.

I understand that third-party manufacturers made wireless "sleds" that
attached to the serial port and let you have Internet access through some
cell phone and/or pager networks. Those would probably be harder to find,
though, and some of them may not work any more (i.e., the networks they
relied on may be gone now). And they'll still be slow.

The PalmPilot Pro is eight years old now. Even with those, you probably
won't be happy with the Internet access you'll get, unless you're used to
text-mode access. Between the low resolution screen, lack of color, and
low bandwidth, about the only really practical use for it is as a telnet
client... and even there it's not great, due to the lack of a keyboard.

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:43:09 AM

"Alex Durden" <disclaimer226@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was given a Palm Pilot Professional for Christmas this year. I was using
> it, and I like the features it has, but it seems to not be complete without
> internet access. If someone would inform me as to what progs I must
> download, and what requirements I must have to be able to access the
> internet from the palm, It would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex Durden

It may have some value as a museum piece.

Adam
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:12:41 PM

Nusm a écrit, le 09/01/2005 21:40 :

> A Palm Pilot Professional was one of the first Palm models, and I don't
> think that it has the capability to get on the internet.

The difference between the Professional version and the Personal version
was that the Pro included a TCP/IP stack (and had 1 Mb of RAM instead of
512 Kb).

> I'm not even sure if it has IrDa.

No IrDA. But there's a serial port.

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...

Patrick Vuichard wrote:
> Nusm a écrit, le 09/01/2005 21:40 :

>> A Palm Pilot Professional was one of the first Palm models, and I don't
>> think that it has the capability to get on the internet.
>
> The difference between the Professional version and the Personal version
> was that the Pro included a TCP/IP stack (and had 1 Mb of RAM instead of
> 512 Kb).
>
>> I'm not even sure if it has IrDa.
>
> No IrDA. But there's a serial port.

Yep. And I should have mentioned before -- in addition to the PalmPilot
modem, you can in theory use any Hayes-compatible external modem with a
PalmPilot Pro... you just have to have or make the right cable.

There used to be a bunch of sites that told how to do it. Most likely some
of them are still around. Alternatively, I believe that simply using the
cradle with a null modem adapter will work (though you may need a 9-to-25
pin converter as well, depending on your modem).

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:53:56 AM

Travis Casey <efindel@earthlink.net> wrote:

>you can in theory use any Hayes-compatible external modem with a
>PalmPilot Pro... you just have to have or make the right cable.

The m100/m105 and the IIIx model series serial cables will also fit the PilotPro
(but not visa versa), although these cables are also getting hard to find.

>I believe that simply using the
>cradle with a null modem adapter will work (though you may need a 9-to-25
>pin converter as well, depending on your modem).

Correct. But it's harder to use the stylus navigating through your email when
the Pro is sitting in the cradle... ;)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:18:05 AM

Travis Casey wrote:
> Yep. And I should have mentioned before -- in addition to the PalmPilot
> modem, you can in theory use any Hayes-compatible external modem with a
> PalmPilot Pro... you just have to have or make the right cable.

Also, you should be able to just talk PPP straight to whatever machine
you have it plugged into. From there, if you can get the computer
to give the Palm and IP address and route packets (straightforward on
Unix or Linux, don't know about Windows), then you should be connected
to the Internet without the need for an annoying modem.

- Logan
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:58:06 PM

I have an original.......in the box......modem to work with the PPPro.....

You can have it. I wouldn't mind if you sent me a couple bux for shipping
to wherever you are......but.....you can have the modem.

!