Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

When do you part out a game?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:28:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I have always been a strong believer in fixing up a game whenever possible
since these machines will never be made again (referring to older pins of
course). But at what point do you guys decide a game is beyond saving? Is
there a certain criteria? I have a machine that is not particularly valuable
from a historic or collector's standpoint, and it looks like it's been in a
flood. Lots of rat poop, severely flaked backglass with a layer of mud on
the backside, cabinet and head have badly warped panels, all exterior paint
is flaking off, but the game is complete and the playfield is not too bad
(once it's cleaned up). So as much as I'd like to save this machine...it's
quite a daunting task! Would involve making a couple new panels for the
cabinet and head, complete re-paint (correct colors and design or not),
probably finding another backglass (good luck!). I know that the sensible
thing would be to part it out....but somehow it feels wrong to me. Anyone
else?
Chris

More about : part game

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:28:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

unfortunately, if a game is worth *significantly* more in pieces than whole
it gets parted.

2 examples.
I was trying to sell a decent condition Demo Man fully shopped. for $1K. i
refused to sell it for less than that. ended up parting it out and made
$1350 off the parts and still have an endless supply of screws and most of
the underplayfield coil assemblies for future use on other pins.

another was a BoP. tried to get $925 out of it, fully shopped. no takers.
refused to take less since it has a WPC boardset in it. ended up with $1100
or so out of that one [wasn't as nice as the DM].

it's not like i jumped at parting them either. both were for sale for a
couple months.

i don't get upset over part outs. if someone REALLY cared about them being
parted out they would have bought them as my asking prices were not out of
line.

sadly some cheaper pins like DM,JD and popeye get the axe.
Dan



"Greenacarina" <veedub@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p GBXe.315$zQ3.49@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I have always been a strong believer in fixing up a game whenever possible
> since these machines will never be made again (referring to older pins of
> course). But at what point do you guys decide a game is beyond saving? Is
> there a certain criteria? I have a machine that is not particularly
valuable
> from a historic or collector's standpoint, and it looks like it's been in
a
> flood. Lots of rat poop, severely flaked backglass with a layer of mud on
> the backside, cabinet and head have badly warped panels, all exterior
paint
> is flaking off, but the game is complete and the playfield is not too bad
> (once it's cleaned up). So as much as I'd like to save this machine...it's
> quite a daunting task! Would involve making a couple new panels for the
> cabinet and head, complete re-paint (correct colors and design or not),
> probably finding another backglass (good luck!). I know that the sensible
> thing would be to part it out....but somehow it feels wrong to me. Anyone

> else?
> Chris
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:28:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I've parted out a few machines over the years.

Looking back, I've not parted out anything I thought was salvageable at a
reasonable cost. I sold a High Speed to a friend last year for $300 that was
probably worth double that in parts, but I wanted to see it live again. Same
goes for a Royal Rumble I sold cheap last year.

I once parted an A13 with substantial cabinet water damage and missing parts
was one that I didn't lose too much sleep over. It needed too much,
including a cabinet, translite, speaker panel, display, playfield plastics,
underplayfield assys, etc.

Parted a Doctor Who to save a T2 someone had started parting out, had the 2
side by side trying to decide which one should live, the T2 won because its
cabinet wasn't beat to death with holes and chunks missing.

Parted an EBD:LE with who knows what growing in it, had been in a very damp
warehouse at one point and was falling apart.

I parted an F-14 that probably could've been saved by someone who had more
skills/time than I did, kinda felt bad about that one.

Right now, I'm searching for parts high and low to save an Indy 500, getting
dang close too!

I bought a White Water from another RGP'er last year that gets more play
than anything else in my home from friends and family, and it was a game
that I probably would've parted out if given the chance. That's part of why
I'm trying to save the 2nd I500.

For the last year or so, I've been a little more descriminating as to what I
buy, knowing what I have the time/ability/effort to save on the front end.
The games that have gotten wet are a little scary, not knowing what can be
growing in them.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com


"Greenacarina" <veedub@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p GBXe.315$zQ3.49@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I have always been a strong believer in fixing up a game whenever possible
> since these machines will never be made again (referring to older pins of
> course). But at what point do you guys decide a game is beyond saving? Is
> there a certain criteria? I have a machine that is not particularly
> valuable
> from a historic or collector's standpoint, and it looks like it's been in
> a
> flood. Lots of rat poop, severely flaked backglass with a layer of mud on
> the backside, cabinet and head have badly warped panels, all exterior
> paint
> is flaking off, but the game is complete and the playfield is not too bad
> (once it's cleaned up). So as much as I'd like to save this machine...it's
> quite a daunting task! Would involve making a couple new panels for the
> cabinet and head, complete re-paint (correct colors and design or not),
> probably finding another backglass (good luck!). I know that the sensible
> thing would be to part it out....but somehow it feels wrong to me. Anyone
> else?
> Chris
>
>
Related resources
September 19, 2005 8:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

The positive side is parts are available to make other machines nicer and in
the long run reduces overall supply. If demand remains constant(not a given)
then the values of those remaining games have a chance to appreciate.


Otto

CARGPB11

My web page: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding


"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
news:11itqajlarrpj01@corp.supernews.com...
> sadly some cheaper pins like DM,JD and popeye get the axe.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I also wanted to add to that that I've been on the other side of the picture
a lot, needing someone to part out a game so I can find unobtainable parts,
and have been grateful to find them when I needed them.

It's a necessary evil.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

> I bought a White Water from another RGP'er last year that gets more play
> than anything else in my home from friends and family, and it was a game
> that I probably would've parted out if given the chance. That's part of
> why I'm trying to save the 2nd I500.

I was going to originally part that WWater out but couldn't when it worked.
Swapped in a better pf, fixed and cleaned everything and sold it to someone
that gave it a good home. :-)

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
--------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:54:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

It's your pin. Do what you want with it.

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)



Atari_2600 wrote:
> I am very much in the same boat over parting out a Funhouse I have, I does
> not seem to be worth whole what it would be in parts. I have always tried to
> keep whole working games whole (well the Raven I had I did not try all THAT
> hard on) but it can be tough to bite, esspecially if you'd lose money versus
> make or break even.
September 19, 2005 9:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Sounds like you have a good candidate to part out.

Andy

"Greenacarina" <veedub@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p GBXe.315$zQ3.49@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I have always been a strong believer in fixing up a game whenever possible
> since these machines will never be made again (referring to older pins of
> course). But at what point do you guys decide a game is beyond saving? Is
> there a certain criteria? I have a machine that is not particularly
> valuable
> from a historic or collector's standpoint, and it looks like it's been in
> a
> flood. Lots of rat poop, severely flaked backglass with a layer of mud on
> the backside, cabinet and head have badly warped panels, all exterior
> paint
> is flaking off, but the game is complete and the playfield is not too bad
> (once it's cleaned up). So as much as I'd like to save this machine...it's
> quite a daunting task! Would involve making a couple new panels for the
> cabinet and head, complete re-paint (correct colors and design or not),
> probably finding another backglass (good luck!). I know that the sensible
> thing would be to part it out....but somehow it feels wrong to me. Anyone
> else?
> Chris
>
>
September 20, 2005 12:57:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
news:11itqajlarrpj01@corp.supernews.com...
> unfortunately, if a game is worth *significantly* more in pieces than
> whole
> it gets parted.
>
> 2 examples.
> I was trying to sell a decent condition Demo Man fully shopped. for $1K.
> i
> refused to sell it for less than that. ended up parting it out and made
> $1350 off the parts and still have an endless supply of screws and most of
> the underplayfield coil assemblies for future use on other pins.

I would have bought that DM from you at the time if I had the funds. Plus
the shipping. Grr..

Michael
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:12:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I am very much in the same boat over parting out a Funhouse I have, I does
not seem to be worth whole what it would be in parts. I have always tried to
keep whole working games whole (well the Raven I had I did not try all THAT
hard on) but it can be tough to bite, esspecially if you'd lose money versus
make or break even.
!