completely BAFFLED!! Johnny Mnemonic

manic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002

According to Google I am (unfortunately) only the *second*
person to ever encounter this problem... so chances of a real
solution seem slim.

The glove works 100% in auto-test. It catches the ball nicely and
swings way out towards me to drop the balls in the 7, 8 and 9
slots on the matrix (closest to the player).

However when *I* move the hand, either during test mode or
during the game, it stops about 1/8 inch too early and can't get
the balls into those 3 slots. It's the upper right flipper button that
brings the hand toward you and it has no opto - it's clean and
the hand moves quick but then predictably quits too early.
Repeatedly hitting the button some more only makes it wiggle
a little... as if it has found it's "proper" stopping spot. Yet it's
not far enough to place the ball properly and not where it reaches
to during auto-test.

All optos seems fine - hand works 100% otherwise... no other
odd behavior. No wire or screw binding - it smoothly shuttles
out all the way during auto test with no hitches whatsover...
so why won't the ^%&*& let ME bring it out to the same spots??

Adjusting the initial "Y" settings in the menu don't seem to help either.
A factory reset also failed to correct the problem. No problem with
side-to-side "X" movement either.

Anybody have any insight into this? No luck with google as it seems
to be quite the unique problem.

I think I've finally met my match in pinball problem solving :-(

TIA for any help... crossing my fingers here that someone has a novel
solution.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be the wire from the hand
being misrouted from the front into the back area (there's a related
service bulletin on this, in that it can saw through the wiring and
cause a coil short that blows the fuse if it's routed wrong). If you
completely remove the hand wiring (probably just take out the magnet),
will it go all the way over in manual and in the game?

I ended up getting some of that ribbed auto wire-channel stuff to hold
the wiring and make the wires to the hand look more "finished".

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:45:13 GMT, "Manic"
<manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>According to Google I am (unfortunately) only the *second*
>person to ever encounter this problem... so chances of a real
>solution seem slim.
>
>The glove works 100% in auto-test. It catches the ball nicely and
>swings way out towards me to drop the balls in the 7, 8 and 9
>slots on the matrix (closest to the player).
>
>However when *I* move the hand, either during test mode or
>during the game, it stops about 1/8 inch too early and can't get
>the balls into those 3 slots. It's the upper right flipper button that
>brings the hand toward you and it has no opto - it's clean and
>the hand moves quick but then predictably quits too early.
>Repeatedly hitting the button some more only makes it wiggle
>a little... as if it has found it's "proper" stopping spot. Yet it's
>not far enough to place the ball properly and not where it reaches
>to during auto-test.
>
>All optos seems fine - hand works 100% otherwise... no other
>odd behavior. No wire or screw binding - it smoothly shuttles
>out all the way during auto test with no hitches whatsover...
>so why won't the ^%&*& let ME bring it out to the same spots??
>
>Adjusting the initial "Y" settings in the menu don't seem to help either.
>A factory reset also failed to correct the problem. No problem with
>side-to-side "X" movement either.
>
>Anybody have any insight into this? No luck with google as it seems
>to be quite the unique problem.
>
>I think I've finally met my match in pinball problem solving :-(
>
>TIA for any help... crossing my fingers here that someone has a novel
>solution.

Manic,

Haven't had this issue, but try adjusting the "Y" home switch itself. I
think one of the screws has room to tip the switch slightly so maybe when
the hand is moving forward (toward you) the switch is opening too soon?

If that works you have to give me a suggestion as to why my popper won't
send the ball to the glove.

Good luck,
Eric

"Manic" <manicmusicREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> According to Google I am (unfortunately) only the *second*
> person to ever encounter this problem... so chances of a real
> solution seem slim.
>
> The glove works 100% in auto-test. It catches the ball nicely and
> swings way out towards me to drop the balls in the 7, 8 and 9
> slots on the matrix (closest to the player).
>
> However when *I* move the hand, either during test mode or
> during the game, it stops about 1/8 inch too early and can't get
> the balls into those 3 slots. It's the upper right flipper button that
> brings the hand toward you and it has no opto - it's clean and
> the hand moves quick but then predictably quits too early.
> Repeatedly hitting the button some more only makes it wiggle
> a little... as if it has found it's "proper" stopping spot. Yet it's
> not far enough to place the ball properly and not where it reaches
> to during auto-test.
>
> All optos seems fine - hand works 100% otherwise... no other
> odd behavior. No wire or screw binding - it smoothly shuttles
> out all the way during auto test with no hitches whatsover...
> so why won't the ^%&*& let ME bring it out to the same spots??
>
> Adjusting the initial "Y" settings in the menu don't seem to help either.
> A factory reset also failed to correct the problem. No problem with
> side-to-side "X" movement either.
>
> Anybody have any insight into this? No luck with google as it seems
> to be quite the unique problem.
>
> I think I've finally met my match in pinball problem solving :-(
>
> TIA for any help... crossing my fingers here that someone has a novel
> solution.

manic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002