Sign in with
Your question

Screen Flicker Black, theme changes?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 3:54:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I had this problem when I was just neutrally browsing through the internet when my screen just immediately flickered black, not for very long only about 1 second at the most, and my theme changed. I didn't really know what happened, so just kept browsing. I was browsing for about 20 more minutes and the same thing happened again, but this time it changed back. Recently just installed a new video card in my system, and have all the updated drivers, however, I wen't to CPUID to check the temps. of my system and my video card was pulling some numbers I haven't seen it do at this kind of browsing. My graphics card was about 67C and during regular web browsing it is usually around 30-35C. Is this a problem with Windows? Or is it a problem with my Graphics Card?

Thanks,
Nick
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 4:15:53 PM

Overheating is not a Windows problem, it's hardware, specifically the cooling fans which suck cool air in and expel hot air through the vents.

make sure all the fans are actually working and free of fluff build-up, same with the vents.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 5:24:55 AM

mustangnick said:
Hello everyone,

I had this problem when I was just neutrally browsing through the internet when my screen just immediately flickered black, not for very long only about 1 second at the most, and my theme changed. I didn't really know what happened, so just kept browsing. I was browsing for about 20 more minutes and the same thing happened again, but this time it changed back. Recently just installed a new video card in my system, and have all the updated drivers, however, I wen't to CPUID to check the temps. of my system and my video card was pulling some numbers I haven't seen it do at this kind of browsing. My graphics card was about 67C and during regular web browsing it is usually around 30-35C. Is this a problem with Windows? Or is it a problem with my Graphics Card?

Thanks,
Nick

I'm assuming two things here:
1. This is a desktop
2. This "desktop" has a standalone, or discreet", graphics card installed.

That being said:
When the screen flickers like that it is usually an indication of something going wonky with your graphics card which could be exactly what phil22 mentioned or it could be driver related or the card itself could be on it's way out. I'm tending to lean more towards the graphics card being on its way out due to the high temp readings you got from CPU-ID with no load on the card.

Have you OC'd the card at all? If so, you may want to consider throttling back your recent changes in order to find out what the true culprit is.

Let us know! :) 
m
l
!