Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fresh install: when to change boot priority back to HD

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 4:47:11 PM

Hello,

Newbie question--it's so basic that I'm not finding the answer in the forums ;-)

Right before a fresh install of Windows 7, I go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to boot from the CD first. So at what point during, or after, the installation do I go back into the BIOS and set the boot priority to boot from the Hard Drive?

Thanks guys!
-Heather

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 4:50:48 PM

Hi :) 

You don't have to as long as you take out the 7 disc when you have finished installing and you are back in windows...

All the best Brett :) 
December 23, 2012 5:05:17 PM

Thanks, Brett, for the instant reply!

Happy Holidays :-)

Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 5:52:46 PM

You can leave it if you do not mind it taking a few seconds extra during the boot process (since it will pause to look at each CD\DVD drive to see if there is a boot disk inside.) or if you do not need to worry about someone coming along and using a boot CD to gain access to the system (ie if you want to secure the system and have a BIOS password set they can not just come along and place a boot disk in the system to gain access to the HDD file system since it is not trying to boot from the CD\dvd drive before the HDD. ) If you want to make it more secure then change the setting back anytime after the install tells you to remove the disk and reboot the system. (ie. once all the files are installed and it is ready to boot into windows for the first time)
December 23, 2012 7:01:37 PM

Thanks Guys. I may have to start a new thread because this Windows 7 either hangs at install, or gives me the BSOD. I'm starting with a new version of Windows 7, and a (third) fresh hard drive.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core

Video card: ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC

HD: 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

What's funny is that a different version of Windows 7 (student/faculty version) would not install a few weeks ago, so I replaced the hard drive (I decided to start fresh instead of reformatting over and over) and tried again with an old version of Windows XP. Installed fine. Now I am on my third fresh hard drive, with a fresh out-of-the-box OEM version of Windows 7, and I get the same problems as the other version of Windows 7. The fact that XP installs okay means that there aren't any real hardware problems--seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the Gigabyte FX motherboard or AM3+ CPU.

Any thoughts appreciated. I will post this to the appropriate forum if directed .... ;-)

Thanks again--no good deed goes unpunished!

-Heather

a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 7:47:31 PM

Try increasing your RAM voltage just one increment in the BIOS -- sometimes the Ram modules will be just slightly under the needed voltage to be completely stable and increasing it will stabilize it so that windows will then load fine.
December 23, 2012 7:48:34 PM

Okay! Will try and report back. Thank you!!
December 30, 2012 12:29:33 PM

Best answer selected by realdasein.
!