flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My gf wants a new laptop and I want to get her something nice but keep in mind that she wont be playing demanding 3d games (maybe I can get her into CS, maybe not). So it needs to be powerful/ zippy but should be portable at the same time. She currently has a dell w/ a 1.3Ghz Pentium M, 256MB DDR, and a 40GB HDD that seems to die every few months. The thing isn't quite fast enough (nor reliable...permanent hardware issues w/ the mobo from what I see). I was thinking the Sager NP4750 which is Athlon64 based, but am worried about battery time and weight- I haven't seen any reviews. How is Sager's tech support also? Overall, I know they say Sager is a good company, but is there anyone here who can actually vouch for them from first hand experience? Thanks.
Budget is not an issue.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
If A64, make sure it's Turion since those have better battery life, similar to P-M.

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
How old is her dell? You should yell and scream @ them until they fix it. It prob needs more RAM too since it only has 256. This is exactly why i got 3 years of complete-care with mine. If i happen to break it in 2.5 years i'll get a brand new one for free:)

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Thing is old...I spent several days with it and got it working nice and fast....it craps out the next day b/c the hdd. Fix it again...craps out. I was thinking something like A64XP3400+, 1GB DDR, 60GB 7200RPM, Ati R9700 (all they offer), dual layer dvd burner, and extra battery. Too heavy?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
They did, something's wierd in the mobo and keeps screwing up. She wants a new laptop anyway.

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
I bought my dad a SAGER 56XX series and it is a nice system.

He doesn't haul it around or anything as it is weighty and battery life isn't well known for them since they are known as desktop replacements. But, speed etc... I like it. I'd consider buying one for me if I was shopping for it...

you might check out <A HREF="http://www.notebookforums.com/" target="_new">nbforums</A> as they will have a lot of talk on all notebooks as well as good reviews / feedback of the sagers. HTH