Slow game performance

terminatort850

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
-One day, I m playing games at smooth framerates
-Other day, I take my PC to another country as it got loaded in the cargo of the aircraft by the animal-eqse loaders.
-Third day, I rev up my PC to play NFS Underground 2 & other games & WTF? THE FRAMERATE is so inconsistent that games are unplayable totally.
-Changed hard disk, graphics card, RAMs, processor but then I narrowed down to the culprit component. Now, if everything is working fine, only one thing remains i.e. Motherboard. How can it be faulty? HELP
-Note: There are NO viruses, No power problems.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.5GHz w/ 400MHz System Bus & 256KB L2 Cache
Soltek Red Lightening 85SDB Mainboard
384MB SD RAM
Seagate 40GB H.D.D.
LG Combo Drive
Asus V9520 Magic Graphics card [NVIDIA Ge Force FX 5200 Non-Ultra Chipset w/ 128MB]
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Maybe when they scanned your stuff they may have used an x ray or magnet ray and it could have corrupted your data - did you reload windows or used another drive with the same config and game played?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
ROFLMAO!!! if those rays are NOT even close to that powerful...lol.... what i think is that your PSU isn't compatible with the country ur in

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

G

Maybe they stole your FX5200 and replace it with a lesser part...umm nope cant possibly be any slower!

Ok sorry for that.The X-Ray is the best explication. Maybe the HD got ruffed up. Try running your pc with the side open, listen for any odd sound and touch(not the fans pls) to see if they get really hot.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
OKAY LETS GET SOME THINGS STRAIGHT..sheesh

1) hard drives are MAGNETIC, that means X-RAYS has NO effect on hard drives, because it is OPTICAL.

2) why would airports use magnets to search bags?... i been to many air ports, and they use nothing magnetic to check your baggage, maybe a metal detector, but thats on you.

3) just assume that there is a magnetic check on your baggage, it needs to be INCREDIBALLY strong, it needs to at least pull to iron out of your blood, but then there is a good distance from the magnet, so it would be so powerful that it'll screw over everythign around it(including you)

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
besides PSU incompatibility, the other thing is... okay, these cargos on airplanes are ONLY pressure controled, and nothing else. say you fly through a humid and warm area, then suddenly, in a short period of time ( couple minutes) you rise to cruising altitude(yes, this is very common). suddenly, temp drops, and all the humidity in the cargo room... CONDENSATION!!! you might have killed something in that process

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
condensation shouldn't matter unless it was on... and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been on. Did you fire it up right away after the plane ride?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
um... the water doesnt' evaporate that fast, and there'll always be very small droplets left unless you let it dry for a long time.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Could it be something as simple as BIOS settings get screwed by X rays -> L2 cache disabled ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

OK LETS READ STRAIGHT..sheesh

1)
Maybe the HD got ruffed up.
Did I say the Hd got damaged by X-Ray?Did I say HD use laser 'n [-peep-]?

Also have you ever brought a laptop with you in an airplane, back in the days they would put them in the machine because it CAN cause damage.

Now ppl handling luggage arent the most carefull nor the smartest around, try tossing your computer, the 1st thing that might break is the hd(and/or case)and alotugh its less likely when not operating there's still a chance.

2)they do search your bag with some sort of equipment for bombs and stuff. Do you know what equipment they use, I sure dont...

3) no comments

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One day, I m playing games at smooth framerates
No offense, but with a 1.5GHz Willy, a SD RAM, and a plain GF FX5200, I'm amazed that you ever got smooth framerates in the beginning! :O

Note: There are NO viruses, No power problems.
Can you tell us how you know that there are no power problems?

Other than what's already been suggested, my only other thought is that maybe the CPU became slightly unseated and is throttling as it overheats now? The only way to really be sure that isn't the problem would be to take the heatsink off and put it back on, which may or may not require stripping off the old TIM and putting on new grease. But if you do see any bends, cracks, or other damage or gaps in the heatsink mount then you can be pretty sure that's probably it.

:eek: <font color=purple>یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ</font color=purple> :eek:
@ 191K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

TRENDING THREADS