Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Install of Windows 7 hangs

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:05:29 PM

My fresh install of Windows 7 either hangs at install, or gives me the BSOD. I'm
starting with a new version of Windows 7, and a (third) fresh hard drive.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core

Video card: ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Workstation Video Card

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC

HD: 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

What's funny is that a different version of Windows 7 (student/faculty version) would not install a few weeks ago, so I replaced the hard drive (I decided to start fresh instead of reformatting over and over) and tried again, but with an old version of Windows XP. Installed fine. Now I am on my third fresh hard drive, with a fresh out-of-the-box OEM version of Windows 7, and I get the same problems as the other version of Windows 7. The fact that XP installs okay means that there aren't any real hardware problems--seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the Gigabyte FX motherboard or AM3+ CPU.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks!
-Heather

More about : install windows hangs

a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:15:15 PM

I would disconnect any USB devices other than mouse and keyboard.

I would also try installing it with only one stick of ram at a time to rule out the ram being the problem. Mind you, this might take two tries.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:17:12 PM

Hi :) 

Haven't i seen this thread before ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:20:41 PM

Let it sit for a little while? I have a computer in the computer that runs fast most of the time, but takes an hour between each screen when reinstalling windows, without fail.
m
l
December 23, 2012 8:31:36 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Haven't i seen this thread before ?

All the best Brett :) 

Yep!!
m
l
December 23, 2012 8:45:29 PM

Does the install hang at the splash screen? - the blue screen with the flower-scrawlings. If so, that's a common issue, and the install tends to continue normally if you wait it out (it can take a while, though).
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:38:25 PM

No, it hangs late in the game, at the "Setup is Starting Services" screen, and then any further installation or repair attempts result in a BSOD (usually an index mismatch, but sometimes other things). I only have the keyboard and mouse plugged in, btw, no other USB devices have been near it.

I'll try replacing the RAM sticks one at a time--I've also had the advice to up the RAM voltage by one increment in the BIOS, but that sounds like it could have scary results... I'm not used to messing with the BIOS yet. ;-)
m
l

Best solution

December 23, 2012 11:06:01 PM

It does sound like a RAM issue. I reccommend running memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

stick the bootable binary on a usb stick, boot your machine from that and run memtest. If errors pop up during memtest, you have bad RAM.

Whoever told you to up the voltage I'm guessing didn't examine your issue closely enough. If a motherboard has a poor voltage regulator, then the current fluctuations are larger, and could drop low enough for the RAM to become unstable, in which case a slight voltage bump may help. *However*, your board has what looks like an 8+2 phase regulator, which is excellent and provide a very stable current to your mobo components.

good luck!
December 24, 2012 11:14:36 AM

Thanks, quliciri, I'll try that next!
m
l
December 25, 2012 5:46:58 PM

Well, okay...now that I've done due diligence and spent a ton of time on the memtest site, where they offer newsletters, recipes, past histories of how the outdated version of memtest came to be, etc., etc., and then wasted more time on their Forum just to try to find instructions for how to use Memtest, I will ask you guys here.

To create a "bootable" USB stick: do I just copy the file "memtest86+-4.10.bin" onto a USB drive? Does it matter if I have other folders on that USB drive? Or do I do something else to make it "bootable"?

I do at least know how to set the BIOS to boot from CD or HDD, but when I got into the BIOS to "Set First Boot Device" and want to set it to USB, I get four choices: USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-HDD, and USB-CDROM.

Any thoughts appreciated..!

And Merry Christmas, where appropriate! ;) 

m
l
December 25, 2012 11:17:24 PM

copy the binary to the root of your USB stick. I don't believe it matters if there are other files on it. You may have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so it looks for the USB first.

merry christmas!
m
l
December 25, 2012 11:27:36 PM

Awesome quilciri, thank you. Should I set boot order to first look for USB-FDD? Or one of the others?

Ho Ho Ho!
m
l
December 31, 2012 12:19:47 PM

Update on Windows 7 install (not solved, unfortunately). I should mention that during the first half of this series of steps, I was using a converter to run the DVI signal from the video card to a VGA cable, going into a VGA port on the monitor. I also have been formatting the HD regularly (long format, not quick format) for a clean install.

Q-flashed BIOS from version F5 to version F9. Still get BSOD on Windows 7 install. Generally it’s an APC INDEX MISMATCH but sometimes other things.

Ran Memtest overnight. RAM is fine, no errors.

Reset CMOS, loaded Optimal BIOS defaults, fixed date. No help.

Booted into Safe Mode during Win 7 install to get to Device Manager and disable video driver. No help.

Diabled USB 3.0 support in BIOS. No help.

Disabled USB 2.0 support in BIOS, switched to a PS/2 keyboard, no mouse. Had high hopes for that one, since this all started after ONE successful Win 7 install when I stuck a USB thumb drive into a front port on the PC to load drivers, and all hell broke loose. Never been able to complete an install since that time. Disabling USB 2.0 no help.

Switched the video cable to pure DVI-to-DVI connections. Loaded BIOS Failsafe defaults, reformatted HD to get rid of any video driver disabling (my impression is that if I disable the video driver, it will revert to VGA only, which I assume wouldn’t work with DVI to DVI connections…)

Switched all IDE settings to SATA in BIOS, made things worse. Changed BIOS back to Optimized defaults.

Tried installing XP, since that worked once… now even XP won’t install. Perhaps because the BIOS is too new, or perhaps I need to start using the VGA cable plus converter instead of DVI to DVI in order to install XP. (That was the set up when XP installed successfully.) I’d rather not reflash the BIOS back to the old version—I’d rather just install Windows 7. Any ideas at this point mucho appreciado!

-Heather
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:28:25 AM

realdasein said:
My fresh install of Windows 7 either hangs at install, or gives me the BSOD. I'm
starting with a new version of Windows 7, and a (third) fresh hard drive.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core

Video card: ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Workstation Video Card

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC

HD: 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

What's funny is that a different version of Windows 7 (student/faculty version) would not install a few weeks ago, so I replaced the hard drive (I decided to start fresh instead of reformatting over and over) and tried again, but with an old version of Windows XP. Installed fine. Now I am on my third fresh hard drive, with a fresh out-of-the-box OEM version of Windows 7, and I get the same problems as the other version of Windows 7. The fact that XP installs okay means that there aren't any real hardware problems--seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the Gigabyte FX motherboard or AM3+ CPU.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks!
-Heather

This method works for XP. You will need 2 or more copies of the OS you are trying to install. if you only have one go download a copy of it from tpb or something. Whenever the installation fails, try just taking the cd out and putting the secondary cd/dvd in. It should start from right where it left off and install everything perfectly. like i said it worked on xp. idk if it will work for 7 but its worth a try. Good luck ;) 
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:36:31 PM

Thanks jtechnoob...I'll give it a shot. Er... I assume tpb is a torrent reference...can I really download Windows 7 from that?
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:31:12 PM

You should be able to get a legit copy from the microsoft site. I wouldn't trust a non legit copy. People can add stuff into the installs that you do not want on your machine.
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:13:51 PM

I'm closing this one even though it's not solved...it'll be several weeks before I can get back to it. I'm thinking of installing Linux instead.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
-H
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:14:56 PM

Best answer selected by realdasein.
m
l
!