Sign in with
Your question

How will they know i have overclocked?

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2005 11:36:32 PM

Hi i was thinking of getting a AMD 3000+ 1.8 and overclocking it to 2.6. If i get the boxed verion of AMD with 3 years warrenty and the overclock goes wrong how will they know if i have overclocked???

the turk

More about : overclocked

June 21, 2005 11:46:05 PM

3000+ won't reach 2.6 on air - especially on Boxed air cooling.

And stop being a cheap fag, if it doesn't reach 2.6 (which it won't) don't be a twat by RMAing it. btw, overclocking voids your warrenty.

There are loads of ways they check anyway, AMD check for strained logic gates and overspec cache so you'd have no chance being able to RMA.

Thank you.

June 22, 2005 12:00:58 AM

i could just bluff it, i am sure AMD do not assign 10's of people to just look at a returned chip, i think they have more important issues. It wored with my Packard Bell, i broke it my self so they sent me a new one but with much much more better specs. lol.

Also you can overclock a 3000+ of the boxed fan safely, look at this link:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3J...

--------

see

the turk
Related resources
June 22, 2005 12:09:11 AM

i do uderstand my warrenty will go but if it does brake if i dos end it back they might not know and what is the worst that can happen

the turk
June 22, 2005 12:11:55 AM

i will if it does brake, but hopefully it wont

the turk
June 22, 2005 12:21:57 AM

no, i wanted to hear other peoples oppiones, give it at least a day

the turk
June 22, 2005 12:49:48 AM

If you don't overvolt the CPU too much you will never fry it. There would be no way of knowing what caused it to fail. If you plan on STICKING the voltage to it till it frys that's different. I don't imagine anyone at Intel gets a chip back from FUGGER and just ships him a new one! But, you never know! :lol: 

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 1:00:58 AM

Most of us regulars here know that our warrantys are voided hours or minutes of putting the part in our computers. Because we overclock everything to begin with. We look for specific parts that overclock better than others.

...So to cut to the opinion part of this .
.If you are willing to overclock,you are willing to give up your warranty. No ifs, ands, buts. If you fry it suck it up like a man, with none of this RMA bullsh<b>it</b>. It just makes parts cost more for everybody.

I aint signing nothing!!!
June 22, 2005 1:41:48 AM

look you always need a backup, £110 is alot of chsh to me, my PC was sent back even though i deliberatly broke it, they immidiatly sent a much better PC.

I think that the company does not assign loads of people to look at returned chips, llok at it this way if you were working there and you were sopposed to look a returned chips you would proberbly wont even check and get paid, i guess thats how my PC was refunded.

Nobody is gonig to take a job like checking CPU's very seriously

the turk
June 22, 2005 1:42:00 AM

Thank you sir!

June 22, 2005 6:08:55 AM

Make sure you film it and put cool techno music in stereo because I like the videos they have and I have never seen an A64 fry.

What cooling are you going to use?
I hope you can invest another $200USD on water cooling.
June 22, 2005 9:20:46 AM

do i have to if i overclock,on the link i poested in one of my previous links it says you can easilly overclock from 1.8 to 2.6 on boxed fan with vennice core

the turk
June 22, 2005 10:12:03 AM

my 3200+ (Winchester) won't do 2.5Ghz stable on good water cooling.

June 22, 2005 10:23:09 AM

My 3200+ (Winchester) will do 2.5Ghz stable on the stock cooler.... easily :tongue: .

Found stock cooler too noisy though. XP-120 is fine.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
June 22, 2005 10:34:11 AM

Simple: If you're that concerned, don't overclock it.

To blow something up by overclocking it is actually fairly difficult, providing you don't straight away set it to 2.5V Vcore and 320x10 or something equally stupid.

I blew up my 9800Pro by overvolting/overclocking... But I'm not expecting Ati/Sapphire to pay for <i>my</i> <b></b>f<b></b>uckup.

Besides, RMAing something dishonestly would fcuk up your 'Silicon Karma', and you'll receive dodgy components in the future, or something... :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
June 22, 2005 11:53:34 AM

I must have bad silcon karma :( 

June 22, 2005 12:53:33 PM

It's assholes like you turkzz that are the cause of me still waiting for my GF6600gt to return from RMA. the thing blew itself up on it's own with NO overclocking.

BUT because of the increase in fraudulant claims they have to take the extra care and check the board thoroughly. so here i am. 5 weeks later still waiting on my RMA
June 22, 2005 2:28:31 PM

"the thing blew itself up on it's own with NO overclocking"
(sure)

thats kinf of what might happen to my cpu in the feauture.

Also i am not the reason why you have to wait, Nvidia is a multimillionar bussiness, they should take more care in makeing stable products with quality material not cheap plastic and metal ect.

thats why producs brake

the turk
June 22, 2005 2:32:01 PM

nope, the card was stock. I had it running in a Shuttle with a fresh Prescott CPU. and I underestimated the heat that the scotty would generate inside that case. the combined temperatures of the Scotty and the 6600 overheated it and it blew.

I was PISSED! since then i've tossed the Shuttle, got myself a full case and watercooling
June 22, 2005 2:48:56 PM

Quote:
I don't imagine anyone at Intel gets a chip back from FUGGER and just ships him a new one!

Actually they do...LOL.<pre>but for different reasons</pre><p>Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
June 22, 2005 2:53:49 PM

Ned I agree with Chipdeath... my 3200+ Winchester did 2.5Ghz on stock. I just got a Venice 3200+ so we will see how that does, if I ever get home.
June 22, 2005 3:04:28 PM

Quote:
Also i am not the reason why you have to wait, Nvidia is a multimillionar bussiness, they should take more care in makeing stable products with quality material not cheap plastic and metal ect.

thats why producs brake

How can you talk about these companies making cheap poor quality products. You are not using the product they produced in the desired way. That is the reason why the warranty is voided. You are talking about buying the product, using it beyond its recommended usage and then complaining about it and trying to get a new one. This is like buying a Ferrari and taking it off roading, getting it stuck in three feet of mud and returning it because "it" is faulty. I hate to break it... but if you wreck the CPU, you are at fault, not AMD.

If you are going to be stupid enough to overclock this thing till it breaks then you deserve what is coming to you.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 3:10:57 PM

amen!

Oh and turkz its "break!" even tough starfishy is talking about cars you dont need to brake it!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
June 22, 2005 3:53:03 PM

i know it will be my fault but ill stil want my wrrenty, i did pay an extra £20 for the warrenty. (even if overclock voids it)

the turk
June 22, 2005 3:53:36 PM

No it's brake. He's talking about an ABS system. :smile:

<font color=blue>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=blue>
June 22, 2005 4:09:11 PM

Dude, the more I hear you speak the stupider I think you are. Did you just tell us that you paid "extra" for a wannanty that you are going to void anyway? This is not the smartest thing I have ever heard of.
June 22, 2005 4:11:39 PM

He's obviously just a retard.

June 22, 2005 4:15:57 PM

Heya on stock the best you're gonna do is 2.4. I can run stable at 2.4 on my winchester @ 2.4 with a xp90 and a 92mm junk fan @ 75f (in my room) and around 50c at the cpu, or 45c with my 92mm tornado.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time
June 22, 2005 4:18:28 PM

that sounds good

the turk
June 22, 2005 4:22:51 PM

I didn't mean to offend you TurkzZ, and I appologize if I did... I shouldn't have been so blunt. I am just saying that you probably didn't need to pay the extra money for a warranty that you are going to void anyway. And I also believe that you don't need a warranty. I OC every AMD CPU I get my hands on, and I have never had one fry on me. They make a good quality product (in Intel's defence I have never had one of them fry on me either). As long as you are not really stupid with how you OC you won't have any need for that warranty. I would just put this out of your mind and forget that you ever talked about ripping off AMD for something that isn't going to happen anyway.
June 22, 2005 4:30:57 PM

I think you should all stop arguing and pay attention to my massive, stinking cock.

:eek:  I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: 
June 22, 2005 4:35:01 PM

RUN starfishy RUN!

<font color=blue>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=blue>
June 22, 2005 4:52:32 PM

Because I just sent them an e-mail informing them of your intentions.

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 5:44:04 PM

Lol Starfishy feeling guilty.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
June 22, 2005 6:09:46 PM

overclocking voids your warranty???!?!?!?![/sarcasm]

"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>
June 22, 2005 6:12:29 PM

thaks Starfish,

also you guys are so easy to wind up, i started this thread as quite a serious thing but when i saw the respones i questioned how far i could "overclock" (thats a good one) you guys. lol

thank for your oppions,

however is it hard or easy to break your cpu while overclocking, and has anybody got any guides to overclocking. (i am a bit of a noob in overclocking)

thanks

the turk
June 22, 2005 6:13:36 PM

RMA because of a bad overclock makes baby-Jesus cry.

June 22, 2005 6:14:33 PM

We have a guide down in the overclocking section.

June 22, 2005 7:28:29 PM

I alwasy feel a little guilty when I start name calling on here. I never mean to offend people. Everytime that I see myself calling others stupid I remember back to when I joined this forum... and well... I was stupid.
June 22, 2005 7:32:37 PM

lol

the turk
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 8:25:06 PM

Rofl!
Sometimes its hard to rember you where a ubber n00b once.
Even harder is too think that CrashMan was once a noob lol!

June 22, 2005 8:31:27 PM

What the hell are you talking about!!! When crashman was born he came out with a 1Gb stick of DDR2 in each hand, and had started crying once he realised his placenta cooled rig had a damaged reservoir.
June 22, 2005 9:34:41 PM

Damn straight. And he had a 5.25 inch floppy too.

:eek:  I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: 
June 22, 2005 9:41:25 PM

Your both wrong! Crashman isnt really a person. Well, he was at one time but that was before the transformation. Its a long story, and I would have to call on the powers of my Jedi Mind Trick but basically he was abducted by "I cant say who" . Hes now a FRIGGIN SUPER COMPUTER. Get it? Part Intel, and part AMD. Think about it! See?

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
June 22, 2005 9:42:14 PM

LMAO!

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
June 22, 2005 10:11:50 PM

crashman was also born with two 6600gt's SLI style.

lol

the turk
June 23, 2005 7:16:26 PM

Quote:
Nobody is gonig to take a job like checking CPU's very seriously

No one has to. Each CPU has a tiny bit of flash memory that stores the highest values for mult, FSB, voltage, etc. All that anyone has to do is pop the CPU into a very simple reading device and voila, they know if you've OCed that puppy or not in the bat of an eye. :o 

:eek:  <font color=purple>یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ</font color=purple> :eek: 
@ 191K -> 200,000 miles or bust!
June 23, 2005 7:45:38 PM

That doesnt surprise me, but I didnt know that could be done. What actually stores the highest value? What can be done to change it? I wonder if the same holds true for video cards? I BS with this guy on the West coast and he has some contacts at ATI that tell him they have so many cards to come in that if its not obvious, they immedialtely put them on a conveyor and junk them.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
June 23, 2005 7:56:38 PM

Quote:
That doesnt surprise me, but I didnt know that could be done. What actually stores the highest value? What can be done to change it?

It's an internal system, read only externally, so it can't be changed. It's the same as with any data protecting smartcard. The pins for readout are somewhere in the socket specs, if you can stand to read through them to find it. It's a simple enough system.

Quote:
I wonder if the same holds true for video cards?

They're only starting. Intel and AMD had the advantage of being flash memory manufacturers themselves, so it was easy for them to think of it and implement it. ATI and nVidia took longer to come up with a solution, but it's been there since they moved away from AGP. I think it was the new form factor that got them to thinking in a new direction, but I could be wrong.

:eek:  <font color=purple>یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ</font color=purple> :eek: 
@ 191K -> 200,000 miles or bust!
June 23, 2005 11:23:16 PM

I tried PMing you about a private joke - you don't have them enabled! :frown: