How will they know i have overclocked?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi i was thinking of getting a AMD 3000+ 1.8 and overclocking it to 2.6. If i get the boxed verion of AMD with 3 years warrenty and the overclock goes wrong how will they know if i have overclocked???

the turk

3000+ won't reach 2.6 on air - especially on Boxed air cooling.

And stop being a cheap dearest comrade, if it doesn't reach 2.6 (which it won't) don't be a twat by RMAing it. btw, overclocking voids your warrenty.

There are loads of ways they check anyway, AMD check for strained logic gates and overspec cache so you'd have no chance being able to RMA.

Thank you.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i could just bluff it, i am sure AMD do not assign 10's of people to just look at a returned chip, i think they have more important issues. It wored with my Packard Bell, i broke it my self so they sent me a new one but with much much more better specs. lol.

Also you can overclock a 3000+ of the boxed fan safely, look at this link:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMjU1JnVybF9wYWdlPTE=

--------

see

the turk

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i do uderstand my warrenty will go but if it does brake if i dos end it back they might not know and what is the worst that can happen

the turk

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't overvolt the CPU too much you will never fry it. There would be no way of knowing what caused it to fail. If you plan on STICKING the voltage to it till it frys that's different. I don't imagine anyone at Intel gets a chip back from FUGGER and just ships him a new one! But, you never know! :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Most of us regulars here know that our warrantys are voided hours or minutes of putting the part in our computers. Because we overclock everything to begin with. We look for specific parts that overclock better than others.

...So to cut to the opinion part of this .
.If you are willing to overclock,you are willing to give up your warranty. No ifs, ands, buts. If you fry it suck it up like a man, with none of this RMA bullsh<b>it</b>. It just makes parts cost more for everybody.

I aint signing nothing!!!

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
look you always need a backup, £110 is alot of chsh to me, my PC was sent back even though i deliberatly broke it, they immidiatly sent a much better PC.

I think that the company does not assign loads of people to look at returned chips, llok at it this way if you were working there and you were sopposed to look a returned chips you would proberbly wont even check and get paid, i guess thats how my PC was refunded.

Nobody is gonig to take a job like checking CPU's very seriously

the turk

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Make sure you film it and put cool techno music in stereo because I like the videos they have and I have never seen an A64 fry.

What cooling are you going to use?
I hope you can invest another $200USD on water cooling.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
do i have to if i overclock,on the link i poested in one of my previous links it says you can easilly overclock from 1.8 to 2.6 on boxed fan with vennice core

the turk

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
My 3200+ (Winchester) will do 2.5Ghz stable on the stock cooler.... easily :tongue: .

Found stock cooler too noisy though. XP-120 is fine.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Simple: If you're that concerned, don't overclock it.

To blow something up by overclocking it is actually fairly difficult, providing you don't straight away set it to 2.5V Vcore and 320x10 or something equally stupid.

I blew up my 9800Pro by overvolting/overclocking... But I'm not expecting Ati/Sapphire to pay for <i>my</i> <b></b>f<b></b>uckup.

Besides, RMAing something dishonestly would fcuk up your 'Silicon Karma', and you'll receive dodgy components in the future, or something... :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
It's assholes like you turkzz that are the cause of me still waiting for my GF6600gt to return from RMA. the thing blew itself up on it's own with NO overclocking.

BUT because of the increase in fraudulant claims they have to take the extra care and check the board thoroughly. so here i am. 5 weeks later still waiting on my RMA

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
"the thing blew itself up on it's own with NO overclocking"
(sure)

thats kinf of what might happen to my cpu in the feauture.

Also i am not the reason why you have to wait, Nvidia is a multimillionar bussiness, they should take more care in makeing stable products with quality material not cheap plastic and metal ect.

thats why producs brake

the turk

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
nope, the card was stock. I had it running in a Shuttle with a fresh Prescott CPU. and I underestimated the heat that the scotty would generate inside that case. the combined temperatures of the Scotty and the 6600 overheated it and it blew.

I was PISSED! since then i've tossed the Shuttle, got myself a full case and watercooling

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Ned I agree with Chipdeath... my 3200+ Winchester did 2.5Ghz on stock. I just got a Venice 3200+ so we will see how that does, if I ever get home.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Also i am not the reason why you have to wait, Nvidia is a multimillionar bussiness, they should take more care in makeing stable products with quality material not cheap plastic and metal ect.

thats why producs brake
How can you talk about these companies making cheap poor quality products. You are not using the product they produced in the desired way. That is the reason why the warranty is voided. You are talking about buying the product, using it beyond its recommended usage and then complaining about it and trying to get a new one. This is like buying a Ferrari and taking it off roading, getting it stuck in three feet of mud and returning it because "it" is faulty. I hate to break it... but if you wreck the CPU, you are at fault, not AMD.

If you are going to be stupid enough to overclock this thing till it breaks then you deserve what is coming to you.

G

amen!

Oh and turkz its "break!" even tough starfishy is talking about cars you dont need to brake it!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i know it will be my fault but ill stil want my wrrenty, i did pay an extra £20 for the warrenty. (even if overclock voids it)

the turk