Gaming Monitor

Mixolydian

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks, I've heard good things about Asus monitors, so that's why I'm researching this one. Are you familiar with BenQ? Also, I'm not too familiar with IPS vs. TP monitors, so any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Not too much. The only monitor I've really looked up is their XL2420. For gaming alone, it seems to be a fine monitor but it is well out of your price range. I'm not sure how their lower end monitors compare.

The difference between cheap IPS panels and TN (I think that's what you meant? I don't know what TP panels are.) is the viewing angle. On a TN display, even viewing the monitor head on, you'll see some color shift in the top and bottom of the screen. On an IPS panel, the viewing angle is a lot better and you won't get that color shift when viewing the screen at different angles.

For gaming use, I don't think many people will be able to notice the difference in input lag between select IPS and TN panels. The VS239H-P has a low input lag so it should be well suited for gaming. Be sure you pick up the model with the -P suffix as it denotes an overdrive feature which is nice to have for gaming.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-vs239h-teil8.html#Fazit

That review is in German of the VS239H (notice the lack of the -P suffix). The monitor got good ratings and received solid marks. With the overdrive feature, it should be a solid choice for gaming.