groves_06

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
ok im a bit of a n00b and i am going to build my first computer i dont know which processor i should get amd or intel this is what i have i just want to know what you all think and if i have a good set up for mid to high end gaming and if there is any problems with the set up

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor

SAPPHIRE 100600SR Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

MAXTOP Hunter CSX-501 BK Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

ABIT AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard

NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BK

the system comes in at around $850 and i dont want to spend any more than that im am going to order it from newegg

Looks ok - but I wouldn't get a VIA based motherboard, get an NForce 4 board instead.

Maxtor make some 200-300Gb driver with 16Mb of on-board cache which are quite cheap.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Everything looks fine, but like Ned said you should get a motherboard with a nForce 4 ultra chipset. or if you can't afford it at least get the nForce 4. For the mobos I like ASUS DFI and Epox.

<font color=blue>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=blue>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Make sure you buy a good Power Supply. It's the most overlooked component in any PC build, and I repeat this mantra on these boards constantly. PSU's that are included with cases are typically low end units. I would recommend at least 450W. Take a look at Enermax, Thermaltake, or Fortron.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Why is it that nobody ever talks about the MSI NF4 boards?? They have recieved great <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358&p=21" target="_new">reviews</A>... I think i am going to make my next rig with an MSI board. I have had great experiences with MSI in the past (the Neo2 Plat was a great board). I have been using the DFI LanParty NF4's lately, just because they were on sale at the time, but I think it's worth a trip over to MSI again shortly.

Does anyone have a comment on the MSI boards?

I have a Neo Plat 2 - It's great, runs very stable with little airflow in the case.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I've only had one MSI board and it was the worst I had, very unstable. Even the PC Chips boards with integrated video I've used were better.

Maybe I got a bad mobo, but my experience with MSI was very frustrating.

<font color=blue>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=blue>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Wow, what board was it?

P.S. I want someones opinion on a new MSI NF4 board... if anyone has one. I will likely just put a new thread in the Mobo section, if nobody replies here.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don't know, it was old, I had an Athlon 1800+ (I think) on it.
I've heard good things about the new MSI boards but I haven't used one.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Dont listen to NED, hes been smoking crack!

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855

my first bulid was little, short, and very tempermental. so i beat him with a stick, so now hes dead.

"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>

you sold me it player! You said it was quality stuff, you better not be lying now, 'cos I take take my business else where and have your house shot up for the inconvenience!