Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AAArgh! can't play multiplayer games

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:19:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

This is really doing my head in.
I can't play multiplayer games on the zone.
""Sorry, we were unable to install your game.
Follow the instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to
try to install again.""

And it never installs. Very, very unhelpful message. Very unhelpful.
Zone software for single player games (e.g. blackjack) *does* install OK.

I have tried *everything* posted on these newsgroups.
Don't bother to post nibblesnbits, or cache/cookie ideas, or heartbeatclass
or conflict files, or registry, or uninstall, or reinstall activex etc. etc.
Anything posted here, I've done it. So, please don't post it again.

fyi....I had this problem before, after installing xp, and after much
heartache I fixed it, but I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried
so many things. Now, after a few weeks not playing on the zone, the problem
has returned. I guess the zone files have been updated..?

I am at my wits end.
Any *new* ideas...? boo-hoo....

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:21:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> This is really doing my head in.
> I can't play multiplayer games on the zone.
> ""Sorry, we were unable to install your game.
> Follow the instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to
> try to install again.""
>
> And it never installs. Very, very unhelpful message. Very unhelpful.
> Zone software for single player games (e.g. blackjack) *does* install OK.
>
> I have tried *everything* posted on these newsgroups.
> Don't bother to post nibblesnbits, or cache/cookie ideas, or heartbeatclass
> or conflict files, or registry, or uninstall, or reinstall activex etc. etc.
> Anything posted here, I've done it. So, please don't post it again.
>
> fyi....I had this problem before, after installing xp, and after much
> heartache I fixed it, but I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried
> so many things. Now, after a few weeks not playing on the zone, the problem
> has returned. I guess the zone files have been updated..?
>
> I am at my wits end.
> Any *new* ideas...? boo-hoo....
>
> Thanks in advance.

Recently updated files:

The files in the \ZSetup folder, Zone.zat, and ZIntro which is an
ActiveX component. Delete the damaged files and try again. To remove
Zintro, open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View
Objects button. Right-click ZoneIntro Class, click Remove then reenter
the Zone.

If you recently got the SP2 update, you might remove it, then reinstall
it.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

Elmo,

Thanks for your help and interest.
I don't seem to have a Zsetup folder, as I uninstalled the zone from my
machine.
I haven't a got a zone.zat file for the same reasons.
I haven't got the zoneintro activex, or any other zone related ones, for
that matter. I deleted heartbeat etc. (ages ago).

My xp came with sp2.

As a final straw I deleted the contents of msn gaming folder in safe mode
and tried to play a cd-rom multiplayer game again. Just the same message,
failed to install game.

I can't think of anything left on my machine which is zone related!!
This leads me to guess that it is something to do with explorer setup perhaps?
Of course, I already let explorer install anything from microsoft....






"Elmo" wrote:

> sealpup wrote:
> >
> > This is really doing my head in.
> > I can't play multiplayer games on the zone.
> > ""Sorry, we were unable to install your game.
> > Follow the instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to
> > try to install again.""
> >
> > And it never installs. Very, very unhelpful message. Very unhelpful.
> > Zone software for single player games (e.g. blackjack) *does* install OK.
> >
> > I have tried *everything* posted on these newsgroups.
> > Don't bother to post nibblesnbits, or cache/cookie ideas, or heartbeatclass
> > or conflict files, or registry, or uninstall, or reinstall activex etc. etc.
> > Anything posted here, I've done it. So, please don't post it again.
> >
> > fyi....I had this problem before, after installing xp, and after much
> > heartache I fixed it, but I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried
> > so many things. Now, after a few weeks not playing on the zone, the problem
> > has returned. I guess the zone files have been updated..?
> >
> > I am at my wits end.
> > Any *new* ideas...? boo-hoo....
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Recently updated files:
>
> The files in the \ZSetup folder, Zone.zat, and ZIntro which is an
> ActiveX component. Delete the damaged files and try again. To remove
> Zintro, open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View
> Objects button. Right-click ZoneIntro Class, click Remove then reenter
> the Zone.
>
> If you recently got the SP2 update, you might remove it, then reinstall
> it.
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:17:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> Elmo,
>
> Thanks for your help and interest.
> I don't seem to have a Zsetup folder, as I uninstalled the zone from my
> machine.
> I haven't a got a zone.zat file for the same reasons.
> I haven't got the zoneintro activex, or any other zone related ones, for
> that matter. I deleted heartbeat etc. (ages ago).
>
> My xp came with sp2.
>
> As a final straw I deleted the contents of msn gaming folder in safe mode
> and tried to play a cd-rom multiplayer game again. Just the same message,
> failed to install game.
>
> I can't think of anything left on my machine which is zone related!!
> This leads me to guess that it is something to do with explorer setup perhaps?
> Of course, I already let explorer install anything from microsoft....
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > sealpup wrote:
> > >
> > > This is really doing my head in.
> > > I can't play multiplayer games on the zone.
> > > ""Sorry, we were unable to install your game.
> > > Follow the instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to
> > > try to install again.""
> > >
> > > And it never installs. Very, very unhelpful message. Very unhelpful.
> > > Zone software for single player games (e.g. blackjack) *does* install OK.
> > >
> > > I have tried *everything* posted on these newsgroups.
> > > Don't bother to post nibblesnbits, or cache/cookie ideas, or heartbeatclass
> > > or conflict files, or registry, or uninstall, or reinstall activex etc. etc.
> > > Anything posted here, I've done it. So, please don't post it again.
> > >
> > > fyi....I had this problem before, after installing xp, and after much
> > > heartache I fixed it, but I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried
> > > so many things. Now, after a few weeks not playing on the zone, the problem
> > > has returned. I guess the zone files have been updated..?
> > >
> > > I am at my wits end.
> > > Any *new* ideas...? boo-hoo....
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Recently updated files:
> >
> > The files in the \ZSetup folder, Zone.zat, and ZIntro which is an
> > ActiveX component. Delete the damaged files and try again. To remove
> > Zintro, open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View
> > Objects button. Right-click ZoneIntro Class, click Remove then reenter
> > the Zone.
> >
> > If you recently got the SP2 update, you might remove it, then reinstall
> > it.

Here are a few thoughts:

- You must be an administrator before the Zone will have permission to
write to the registry. But normally people only have one account on
their machine. Besides, there's usually an error message that states it
can't write to the registry.

- Maybe a security setting isn't allowing the installation of the
ActiveX controls, Heartbeat and ZoneIntro. Look in Internet Properties,
Advanced tab, for a selection that might allow the "Install on Demand".

- Do you have a firewall that might be blocking Zone programs access?
Turn off the built-in firewall till the install is complete.

- Other programs that might prevent the install: a/v software, popup
blockers, maybe a web accelerator; Yahoo offers one of them.

- Open a MS-DOS window (the CMD command), type:

CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1 (Enter key)

DIR (Enter key)

Does the folder exist? Are there any files or subfolders listed?

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:05:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

thanks for your continued interest in my predicament...

writing to the registry doesn't seem to be a problem...

I tried reducing my security levels to absolute minimum, including
popupblocker, anitvirus, firewall(off), ie sercurities at lowest levels. Made
no difference. I'm not aware of any other software running that might
remotely interfere with the zone.

I am still at a complete loss.....
Contents of downloaded program files follows....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>cd downlo~1

C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1>dir
Volume in drive C is KEVVIES
Volume Serial Number is 40AE-EB15

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1

03/08/2001 16:48 131,072 avsniff.dll
15/11/2001 17:40 221,184 AxisCamControl.ocx
13/07/2000 16:21 86,488 bvinetio.dll
08/11/2001 10:59 192,512 CamCli.dll
27/02/2002 11:08 1,253 catalog.dat
06/02/2002 16:36 1,636 clickbar.inf
14/11/2001 16:20 967 Clickbar.osd
08/10/2002 18:08 483 dialer_activex.inf
11/03/2004 13:35 1,271 erma.inf
16/11/2003 00:28 129,024 GSM_codec.dll
15/10/2001 11:08 307,200 IEUpdateOSR2.OCX
18/08/1999 08:54 180,224 ijl11.dll
01/10/2001 13:10 137 installer.inf
05/09/2001 04:22 24,576 iSetup.dll
05/09/2001 04:21 159,744 iSetup.exe
20/11/2003 00:22 740 jinstall-1_4_2_03.inf
23/02/2004 15:37 740 jinstall-1_4_2_04.inf
03/02/2004 15:40 358,096 kxhcm10.ocx
28/01/2005 15:28 495 LegitCheckControl.inf
20/01/2000 15:25 1,162 Microsoft XML Parser for Java.osd
12/01/2000 15:53 208,896 navapi32.dll
27/02/2002 11:08 140,800 naveng32.dll
27/02/2002 11:08 740,864 navex32a.dll
04/09/2003 17:46 2,609,152 NPSibelius.dll
23/12/2000 16:37 0 OCCache.Log
13/09/2002 10:56 144 QTPlugin.inf
13/07/2000 16:21 57,816 ratechk.dll
28/01/2004 12:13 520,349 RdxIE.dll
19/03/2001 18:13 102,800 rufsi.dll
17/06/1997 13:17 116 runhelp.inf
27/02/2002 11:08 55,200 scrauth.dat
08/12/2003 13:58 3,759 swflash.inf
27/02/2002 11:08 7,485 symaveng.cat
27/02/2002 11:08 925 symaveng.inf
22/01/2003 13:05 1,400 SysPro.inf
16/04/2002 14:36 200,704 SysProfLcd.dll
27/02/2002 11:08 453 tinf.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 148 tinfidx.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 1,957 tinfl.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 9,110 tscan1.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 1,179 tscan1hd.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 106,236 virscan.inf
27/02/2002 11:08 645,339 virscan1.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 272,529 virscan2.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 135,332 virscan3.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 298,813 virscan4.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 70,470 virscan5.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 342,879 virscan6.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 371,447 virscan7.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 458,277 virscan8.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 364,890 virscan9.dat
27/02/2002 11:08 32 virscant.dat
06/03/2002 21:22 2,072 vscanmsx.dat
16/09/2004 19:45 496,128 WebCamPlayerOCX.ocx
03/08/2004 14:51 293 wuweb.inf
27/02/2002 11:08 224 zdone.dat
56 File(s) 10,027,222 bytes
0 Dir(s) 5,628,987,904 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1>

Hope this helps!!!

I am off to cry loudly.



> Here are a few thoughts:
>
> - You must be an administrator before the Zone will have permission to
> write to the registry. But normally people only have one account on
> their machine. Besides, there's usually an error message that states it
> can't write to the registry.
>
> - Maybe a security setting isn't allowing the installation of the
> ActiveX controls, Heartbeat and ZoneIntro. Look in Internet Properties,
> Advanced tab, for a selection that might allow the "Install on Demand".
>
> - Do you have a firewall that might be blocking Zone programs access?
> Turn off the built-in firewall till the install is complete.
>
> - Other programs that might prevent the install: a/v software, popup
> blockers, maybe a web accelerator; Yahoo offers one of them.
>
> - Open a MS-DOS window (the CMD command), type:
>
> CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1 (Enter key)
>
> DIR (Enter key)
>
> Does the folder exist? Are there any files or subfolders listed?
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:27:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> thanks for your continued interest in my predicament...
>
> writing to the registry doesn't seem to be a problem...
>
> I tried reducing my security levels to absolute minimum, including
> popupblocker, anitvirus, firewall(off), ie sercurities at lowest levels. Made
> no difference. I'm not aware of any other software running that might
> remotely interfere with the zone.
>
> I am still at a complete loss.....
> Contents of downloaded program files follows....
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\WINDOWS>cd downlo~1
>
> C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1>dir
> Volume in drive C is KEVVIES
> Volume Serial Number is 40AE-EB15
>
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1
>
> 03/08/2001 16:48 131,072 avsniff.dll
> 15/11/2001 17:40 221,184 AxisCamControl.ocx
> 13/07/2000 16:21 86,488 bvinetio.dll
> 08/11/2001 10:59 192,512 CamCli.dll
> 27/02/2002 11:08 1,253 catalog.dat
> 06/02/2002 16:36 1,636 clickbar.inf
> 14/11/2001 16:20 967 Clickbar.osd
> 08/10/2002 18:08 483 dialer_activex.inf
> 11/03/2004 13:35 1,271 erma.inf
> 16/11/2003 00:28 129,024 GSM_codec.dll
> 15/10/2001 11:08 307,200 IEUpdateOSR2.OCX
> 18/08/1999 08:54 180,224 ijl11.dll
> 01/10/2001 13:10 137 installer.inf
> 05/09/2001 04:22 24,576 iSetup.dll
> 05/09/2001 04:21 159,744 iSetup.exe
> 20/11/2003 00:22 740 jinstall-1_4_2_03.inf
> 23/02/2004 15:37 740 jinstall-1_4_2_04.inf
> 03/02/2004 15:40 358,096 kxhcm10.ocx
> 28/01/2005 15:28 495 LegitCheckControl.inf
> 20/01/2000 15:25 1,162 Microsoft XML Parser for Java.osd
> 12/01/2000 15:53 208,896 navapi32.dll
> 27/02/2002 11:08 140,800 naveng32.dll
> 27/02/2002 11:08 740,864 navex32a.dll
> 04/09/2003 17:46 2,609,152 NPSibelius.dll
> 23/12/2000 16:37 0 OCCache.Log
> 13/09/2002 10:56 144 QTPlugin.inf
> 13/07/2000 16:21 57,816 ratechk.dll
> 28/01/2004 12:13 520,349 RdxIE.dll
> 19/03/2001 18:13 102,800 rufsi.dll
> 17/06/1997 13:17 116 runhelp.inf
> 27/02/2002 11:08 55,200 scrauth.dat
> 08/12/2003 13:58 3,759 swflash.inf
> 27/02/2002 11:08 7,485 symaveng.cat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 925 symaveng.inf
> 22/01/2003 13:05 1,400 SysPro.inf
> 16/04/2002 14:36 200,704 SysProfLcd.dll
> 27/02/2002 11:08 453 tinf.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 148 tinfidx.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 1,957 tinfl.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 9,110 tscan1.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 1,179 tscan1hd.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 106,236 virscan.inf
> 27/02/2002 11:08 645,339 virscan1.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 272,529 virscan2.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 135,332 virscan3.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 298,813 virscan4.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 70,470 virscan5.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 342,879 virscan6.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 371,447 virscan7.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 458,277 virscan8.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 364,890 virscan9.dat
> 27/02/2002 11:08 32 virscant.dat
> 06/03/2002 21:22 2,072 vscanmsx.dat
> 16/09/2004 19:45 496,128 WebCamPlayerOCX.ocx
> 03/08/2004 14:51 293 wuweb.inf
> 27/02/2002 11:08 224 zdone.dat
> 56 File(s) 10,027,222 bytes
> 0 Dir(s) 5,628,987,904 bytes free
>
> C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1>
>
> Hope this helps!!!
>
> I am off to cry loudly.
>
> > Here are a few thoughts:
> >
> > - You must be an administrator before the Zone will have permission to
> > write to the registry. But normally people only have one account on
> > their machine. Besides, there's usually an error message that states it
> > can't write to the registry.
> >
> > - Maybe a security setting isn't allowing the installation of the
> > ActiveX controls, Heartbeat and ZoneIntro. Look in Internet Properties,
> > Advanced tab, for a selection that might allow the "Install on Demand".
> >
> > - Do you have a firewall that might be blocking Zone programs access?
> > Turn off the built-in firewall till the install is complete.
> >
> > - Other programs that might prevent the install: a/v software, popup
> > blockers, maybe a web accelerator; Yahoo offers one of them.
> >
> > - Open a MS-DOS window (the CMD command), type:
> >
> > CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1 (Enter key)
> >
> > DIR (Enter key)
> >
> > Does the folder exist? Are there any files or subfolders listed?

This Google search suggests that dialer_activex is something you don't
want:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.virus/brow...

Try one of these free online virus scans:

This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the complete
check.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Symantec
http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&...

<url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&l...;
then click the Security check link.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan

For spyware, normally missed by a/v software, consider these: (I use
Spybot only.)

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide
http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.htm...

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

Stinger Virus Removal Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Cyrus asks: "Daddy, how was I born?"

Dad says:
Ah, my son, I guess one day you will need to find out anyway!
Well, you see your Mom and I first got together in a chat room on MSN.
Then I set up a date via e-mail with your Mom and we met at a
cyber-cafe.
We sneaked into a secluded room, where your mother agreed to a
download
from my hard drive. As soon as I was ready to upload, we discovered
that
neither one of us had used a firewall. Since it was too late to hit
the
delete button, nine months later a blessed little Popup appeared and
said:
"You've Got Male!"

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

hmmm, I guess we are out of ideas.

Yes, that dialer got deleted, but not affecting zone installation.

Obviously I have virus scan software (Mcafee - up to date) and have run it
recently (full scan) - all clear. Ditto adaware from lavasoft.

Virus/adware is *not* my problem here. I wish I knew what it was.
I'm going to reinstall ie.

I want to get back to the position where the zone prompts me for activex
install. I clicked the box which said, always install, and I don't know where
it stores that to go back....

boo hoo...all I want to do is play a stupid game....



>
> This Google search suggests that dialer_activex is something you don't
> want:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.virus/brow...
>
> Try one of these free online virus scans:
>
> This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the complete
> check.
> http://www.pcpitstop.com/
>
> Symantec
> http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&...
>
> <url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&l...;
> then click the Security check link.
>
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan
>
> For spyware, normally missed by a/v software, consider these: (I use
> Spybot only.)
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
> http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> http://www.lavasoft.nu/
>
> Spyware Blaster
> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
> http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.htm...
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
>
> Stinger Virus Removal Tool
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>
> Cyrus asks: "Daddy, how was I born?"
>
> Dad says:
> Ah, my son, I guess one day you will need to find out anyway!
> Well, you see your Mom and I first got together in a chat room on MSN.
> Then I set up a date via e-mail with your Mom and we met at a
> cyber-cafe.
> We sneaked into a secluded room, where your mother agreed to a
> download
> from my hard drive. As soon as I was ready to upload, we discovered
> that
> neither one of us had used a firewall. Since it was too late to hit
> the
> delete button, nine months later a blessed little Popup appeared and
> said:
> "You've Got Male!"
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:46:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> hmmm, I guess we are out of ideas.
>
> Yes, that dialer got deleted, but not affecting zone installation.
>
> Obviously I have virus scan software (Mcafee - up to date) and have run it
> recently (full scan) - all clear. Ditto adaware from lavasoft.
>
> Virus/adware is *not* my problem here. I wish I knew what it was.
> I'm going to reinstall ie.
>
> I want to get back to the position where the zone prompts me for activex
> install. I clicked the box which said, always install, and I don't know where
> it stores that to go back....
>
> boo hoo...all I want to do is play a stupid game....
>
> >
> > This Google search suggests that dialer_activex is something you don't
> > want:
> >
> > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.virus/brow...
> >
> > Try one of these free online virus scans:
> >
> > This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the complete
> > check.
> > http://www.pcpitstop.com/
> >
> > Symantec
> > http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&...
> >
> > <url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&l...;
> > then click the Security check link.
> >
> > http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan
> >
> > For spyware, normally missed by a/v software, consider these: (I use
> > Spybot only.)
> >
> > Spybot Search & Destroy
> > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> > http://www.safer-networking.org/
> > http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
> > SpyBot S&D guide
> > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
> >
> > Ad-Aware
> > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> > http://www.lavasoft.nu/
> >
> > Spyware Blaster
> > http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
> > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
> > http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.htm...
> >
> > CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
> > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
> >
> > Stinger Virus Removal Tool
> > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
> >
> > Cyrus asks: "Daddy, how was I born?"
> >
> > Dad says:
> > Ah, my son, I guess one day you will need to find out anyway!
> > Well, you see your Mom and I first got together in a chat room on MSN.
> > Then I set up a date via e-mail with your Mom and we met at a
> > cyber-cafe.
> > We sneaked into a secluded room, where your mother agreed to a
> > download
> > from my hard drive. As soon as I was ready to upload, we discovered
> > that
> > neither one of us had used a firewall. Since it was too late to hit
> > the
> > delete button, nine months later a blessed little Popup appeared and
> > said:
> > "You've Got Male!"

All Zone files are downloaded to the Zone's Temp folder, then
decompressed by Zextract.exe. Since you don't have the needed folders,
you need to get that folder created by the Zone.

First try running this program to repair the Zone path entries in the
registry. I hope it will work with XP.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msngamezone/Util...

With WinME and WinXP you can run System Restore and select an entry
point listed on a date before the problem first occurred.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> hmmm, I guess we are out of ideas.
>
> Yes, that dialer got deleted, but not affecting zone installation.

Search through the registry for "gaming" and if MSN Gaming Zone is
found, delete the entry. That might have the same effect as the
program, removing the reference to the MSNGZ path so you will be
prompted for the path. Not all hits to "gaming" are Zone related.

This may be what you need to remove, or import.. To import to your
registry, copy/paste it to Wordpad (not notepad), save as Zone.reg,
right-click the saved file, click Merge. Try the Zone again.


REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Gaming Zone\Setup]
"Z6EULA"=dword:00000001
"Program Group"="MSN Gaming Zone"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
"Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
"Version"="6.2.2808.1"


--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:39:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

Thanks for your continued support and advice.

I ran
http://download.microsoft.com/download/msngamezone/Util...

It said it had worked, but did not fix the problem (failed to install
game....zzz...)

I don't really want to restore the system - I don't know that it will
actually fix this anyway. The nature of the problem implies not....plus I
don't know when it stopped working!

I deleted all the "zone" & "gaming" references in the registry. Problem
still exists.

I tried importing this key to the registry, but it won't let me.
On "merge" I get an error message box,

"cannot import <path>zone.reg: The specified file is not a registry script.
You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor"

I tried saving from wordpad in all file formats - they all give this error.
The file saved looks like a registry file. Indeed, "properties" say type of
file is "Registration Entries".

I may be able to import the key in regedit, but don't know exactly where to
add it....

I'm stuck, stuck stuckity stuckity stuck stuck stuck.

fyi, I deleted all downloaded Activex components, went to a flash site and
it prompted for the install, and installed all OK. So, activex doesn't seem
to be the problem.....



"Elmo" wrote:

> sealpup wrote:
> >
> > hmmm, I guess we are out of ideas.
> >
> > Yes, that dialer got deleted, but not affecting zone installation.
>
> Search through the registry for "gaming" and if MSN Gaming Zone is
> found, delete the entry. That might have the same effect as the
> program, removing the reference to the MSNGZ path so you will be
> prompted for the path. Not all hits to "gaming" are Zone related.
>
> This may be what you need to remove, or import.. To import to your
> registry, copy/paste it to Wordpad (not notepad), save as Zone.reg,
> right-click the saved file, click Merge. Try the Zone again.
>
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Gaming Zone\Setup]
> "Z6EULA"=dword:00000001
> "Program Group"="MSN Gaming Zone"
> "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
> "Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
> "Version"="6.2.2808.1"
>
>
> --
> Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
> "com" if you want to email me.
>
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:13:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> Thanks for your continued support and advice.
>
> I ran
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/msngamezone/Util...
>
> It said it had worked, but did not fix the problem (failed to install
> game....zzz...)

Hmm.. Look below at the section on an outdated Regedit.exe file. This
could be all your problem.

> I don't really want to restore the system - I don't know that it will
> actually fix this anyway. The nature of the problem implies not....plus I
> don't know when it stopped working!

(Look at the rest of this post before trying the following.) You can
always go back to the most recent Restore point if it doesn't help to
revert to an earlier date. You can even make a current Restore point if
there isn't a recent one listed.

> I deleted all the "zone" & "gaming" references in the registry. Problem
> still exists.
>
> I tried importing this key to the registry, but it won't let me.
> On "merge" I get an error message box,
>
> "cannot import <path>zone.reg: The specified file is not a registry script.

Looking up the error message with a Google Groups search, I found this:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

The pertinent part may be:

"I just had the same thing happen to 6 out of 18,000 Win2k pro machine.
It turned out to be an old copy of regedit.exe in the \winnt\system32
directory. Regedit.exe should actually reside in \winnt (or wherever %
systemroot% points) but \winnt\system32 is 1st in the path, so when the
V4 version of regedit.exe ran, it choked on the version 5 regedit file.

The solution was twofold; remove the bogus regedit.exe from
\winnt\system32 and change the .reg file from V5 down to V4 format
(change "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to "REGEDIT4" in the .reg
file).

Wayne"

If you have an older version of Regedit, it could be seen before the new
version because of its location in the default path. Removing this
version could get everything working.

> You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor"
>
> I tried saving from wordpad in all file formats - they all give this error.
> The file saved looks like a registry file. Indeed, "properties" say type of
> file is "Registration Entries".
>
> I may be able to import the key in regedit, but don't know exactly where to
> add it....
>
> I'm stuck, stuck stuckity stuckity stuck stuck stuck.
>
> fyi, I deleted all downloaded Activex components, went to a flash site and
> it prompted for the install, and installed all OK. So, activex doesn't seem
> to be the problem.....
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > sealpup wrote:
> > >
> > > hmmm, I guess we are out of ideas.
> > >
> > > Yes, that dialer got deleted, but not affecting zone installation.
> >
> > Search through the registry for "gaming" and if MSN Gaming Zone is
> > found, delete the entry. That might have the same effect as the
> > program, removing the reference to the MSNGZ path so you will be
> > prompted for the path. Not all hits to "gaming" are Zone related.
> >
> > This may be what you need to remove, or import.. To import to your
> > registry, copy/paste it to Wordpad (not notepad), save as Zone.reg,
> > right-click the saved file, click Merge. Try the Zone again.
> >
> >
> > REGEDIT4
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Gaming Zone\Setup]
> > "Z6EULA"=dword:00000001
> > "Program Group"="MSN Gaming Zone"
> > "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
> > "Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Gaming Zone"
> > "Version"="6.2.2808.1"

Notepad likes to add ".txt" to the end of files. So rather than have
you change the filetype to "All" and place the filename in quotes, I
suggested Wordpad, which doesn't bugger up the entries.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

Once again, thanks for your support and advice.....

I eventually managed to merge the key into the registry.

(change "REGEDIT4" to "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in the .reg
file &
delete spurious eofl characters).

I tried the zone again, and, you're not going to believe it......

......"sorry we were unable to install your game". What a great message that
is.

It didn't install any activex components, any zone folders, nought, nada,
zilch.
Curiously, the contents of msn gaming zone, which I deleted in safe mode
have all reappeared...
I love windows - NOT. I am guessing, but maybe these files are causing some
problem....
Things like zclientm, zcorem.dll, zoneclim.dll etc.

Anyway, this whole affair has taken through despair, tragedy, frustration,
depression, anger, resentment and bitterness.
Now I can only laugh......
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:26:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

sealpup wrote:
>
> Once again, thanks for your support and advice.....
>
> I eventually managed to merge the key into the registry.
>
> (change "REGEDIT4" to "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in the .reg
> file &
> delete spurious eofl characters).
>
> I tried the zone again, and, you're not going to believe it......
>
> ....."sorry we were unable to install your game". What a great message that
> is.
>
> It didn't install any activex components, any zone folders, nought, nada,
> zilch.
> Curiously, the contents of msn gaming zone, which I deleted in safe mode
> have all reappeared...
> I love windows - NOT. I am guessing, but maybe these files are causing some
> problem....
> Things like zclientm, zcorem.dll, zoneclim.dll etc.

Those are considered system files related to "Internet Gaming" and I
doubt they're directly related to your Zone problem, even though they're
used for anonymous gaming on the Zone. Being "system files" they're
replaced when you reboot, I believe.

I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if I can find a
cause. I've had a little luck doing this. If interested, email me and
I'll send you my current ip address and instructions on contacting me
through NetMeeting.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

I'm going to accept defeat.
Sometime in the next 6 months I'll be upgrading my PC - i.e. a new one.

I can live without the zone until then.

Many thanks and good luck...

"Elmo" wrote:

> sealpup wrote:
> >
> > Once again, thanks for your support and advice.....
> >
> > I eventually managed to merge the key into the registry.
> >
> > (change "REGEDIT4" to "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in the .reg
> > file &
> > delete spurious eofl characters).
> >
> > I tried the zone again, and, you're not going to believe it......
> >
> > ....."sorry we were unable to install your game". What a great message that
> > is.
> >
> > It didn't install any activex components, any zone folders, nought, nada,
> > zilch.
> > Curiously, the contents of msn gaming zone, which I deleted in safe mode
> > have all reappeared...
> > I love windows - NOT. I am guessing, but maybe these files are causing some
> > problem....
> > Things like zclientm, zcorem.dll, zoneclim.dll etc.
>
> Those are considered system files related to "Internet Gaming" and I
> doubt they're directly related to your Zone problem, even though they're
> used for anonymous gaming on the Zone. Being "system files" they're
> replaced when you reboot, I believe.
>
> I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if I can find a
> cause. I've had a little luck doing this. If interested, email me and
> I'll send you my current ip address and instructions on contacting me
> through NetMeeting.
>
> --
> Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
> "com" if you want to email me.
>
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
>
!