Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Extremely long boot up

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:57:40 PM

About a month ago when turing on the system, would come up with a nfts error, would automatically try scan disk, which failed saying no room on computer even though there was 350gb free. Would then reboot to windows 7 and operated fine. Over time the reboot process was taking longer and longer. Now it usually takes hours (up to 4 or more) for it to load up Windows 7, if at all. Once loaded system works fine. Often it does not. And just turns itself off. Attempted to do system repair, which failed. Tried to reload windows 7, but all i have is an upgrade disk and says everything up to date. Any thoughts? Thinking of upgrading to windows 8. would this fix the problem?
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 11:18:10 PM

More likely a new HDD is needed. Try installing an utility and scan the disk for errors.
m
l
December 23, 2012 11:23:44 PM

hope not, the hdd is 6 months old with little use.... western digitial black cavalier model.....
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 11:23:56 PM

hope not, the hdd is 6 months old with little use.... western digitial black cavalier model.....
m
l
December 23, 2012 11:41:56 PM

will try thanks
m
l
December 23, 2012 11:41:56 PM

will try thanks
m
l
December 23, 2012 11:43:25 PM

will try thanks

Tried system restore, but all but 2 restore point though there, aren't accesible. Once the system actually reboots.... everything is perfectly accessible, all files and programs work properly
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:00:47 AM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive... and my shops have seen 1 day old hard drives fail...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:19:10 AM

As has been previously stated it could well be a failing hard drive. To be sure try booting in safe mode, does it still take a long time? If it does then the hard drive is looking likely, if not then it probably is not the hard drive but some software you have installed.
m
l
December 24, 2012 2:01:07 AM

if the drive is new and is only 6 months old register it on WD's website. Put in a RMA and they should help you out.
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:41:27 AM

so once i got the system to boot up last night, i ran an extensive disc scan using western digital software and another utility last night. no errors with the HDD
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:41:41 AM

so once i got the system to boot up last night, i ran an extensive disc scan using western digital software and another utility last night. no errors with the HDD
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:28:32 PM

metallize said:

With the types of errors you are getting, ntfs and shifting hdd sizes) the culprit is going to be a corrupt or dirty installation of Windows 7. If all you have is the upgrade disc it will still let you reinstall Windows using it but it will be a completely clean installation which at this point sounds like what you need to do.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:01:06 PM

tried system tweak optimizer program. Picked up on all sorts of errors that my other program didn't. Ran it and so far everything seems to be working back to normal. Thanks for the help folks!!!!
m
l
!