Nitro Ground Shaker Date..is it 1978 or 1980

I was wondering if anyone knew about the date of this machine...The
sites that I checked all said that it was manufactured in 1980 and this
one site said the same thing however it said project date was 1978.
Can anyone tell me why this is and what is the difference.. Thank you
in advance..

Brivy

Mr. Pinball guide suggests a manufacture date of 01/1980.

mark

Mark, that is what I have been seeing, jan 1980, however i also seen on
the internet pinball database where it said the project date was 1978.
Did they make so many in 1978 and then made the rest of them in 1980,
or did they make them between 1978-1980 and as they were making them
changed the dates on the playfield and backglass and then just used the
1980 date for listing purposes. I ask because on my machine everything
says 1978 but when i try to get a part everyone says its 1980. Just
curious that is all.

thanks

brivy

1978. Perhaps some parts were produced by Bally in 1980 though.

-Officer Francis Llewellyn 'Ponch' Poncherello

brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew about the date of this machine...The
> sites that I checked all said that it was manufactured in 1980 and this
> one site said the same thing however it said project date was 1978.
> Can anyone tell me why this is and what is the difference.. Thank you
> in advance..
>
> Brivy

Bally was booming so much then that they had to push dates back. Same
thing happened with Silverball Mania. Also probably why Voltan had an
abbreviated run....

The word on Voltan on the short run
was due more to the earnings report, or
the lack of earnings. This is according
to what has been written about that title.

Still like to have one, though...

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:
> Bally was booming so much then that they had to push dates back. Same
> thing happened with Silverball Mania. Also probably why Voltan had an
> abbreviated run....

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a 1978 design- only produced in 1980. The
playfield on this game is very reminiscent of older EM type play. Seems
like it may have been designed earlier, and produced later on, for whatever
reason.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Poncherello wrote:
> 1978. Perhaps some parts were produced by Bally in 1980 though.
>
> -Officer Francis Llewellyn 'Ponch' Poncherello
>
> brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knew about the date of this machine...The
> > sites that I checked all said that it was manufactured in 1980 and this
> > one site said the same thing however it said project date was 1978.
> > Can anyone tell me why this is and what is the difference.. Thank you
> > in advance..
> >
> > Brivy

Interestingly, we at the IPDB are researching this very topic now. We
have an owner with an NGS who has a backglass dated 1978 and most of
the other games we've checked have 1980 on them. What we're currently
trying to find out is if this early glass is in an early serial
numbered machine or not, possibly it's one of the initial "test games"
Bally sent out, who knows. Those of you who own one of these games,
we'd love to have your serial numbers and the date on the glass in
order to find the break-off point where they changed. (bsnp@ipdb.org)
Thanks,
Brian Saunders Bally Serial Number Project IPDB

In article <1127187507.211868.197260@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Mark S. <MScohy@aol.com> wrote:
>Mr. Pinball guide suggests a manufacture date of 01/1980.
>
>mark

All games are started on months, or in some cases, *years* before release.
Copyright dates are placed on the art when the piece is completed, not
when the entire game is released. Lots of games have copyright dates
corresponding to the year before they were released.

A project date, is not a helpful date because it has little to do with when,
or if, a game is released. Some games "leap-frog" over other games because
of problems with a game design/license/etc., or maybe because a game is seen
as being "hot" and a sooner release is desired.

--
Daina Pettit=daina@xmission.com, voice: (801)277-6296, msg: (801)277-0888
UNIX Consulting Salt Lake City, Utah http://www.MrPinball.com