Viditor

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Those of us who have been slamming your testing methods would dearly love to be put in our place with 1 more test...
I would like to request that you run 1 more test with 6 different apps this time...you can even make the last 2 rendering apps if you like.

Can I get a second on this suggestion?

Cheers,
Charles

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I don't want to see them do this again. Are you kidding? Why 6? Why not 8?

To be honest I really don't care about seeing a stress test at all. Stress tests don't tell me alot. For the most part I feel that both of these CPU manufacturers produce quality products. If they were to test 50 Intel CPUs and 50 AMD CPUs then you start to get a worthwhile stress test. But we all know that sometimes you get good chips and sometimes you don't. I would venture to guess that if they were to do the stress test over again (with optimal components for both systems) they would not see much of a difference on the stability of the chip (maybe a slight AMD edge here).

What we are all really interested in is the performance. That is what we talk about... so lets see that. No more stress tests, just a performance test. Test them with 2 apps, 4 apps, and 6 apps. Use the same 2 apps from the first test in the 4 apps test, and those 4 apps in the 6 apps test. Then pick another 6 apps and do the whole thing over again. Then change the entire rigs out for new components and run the whole thing again. Now that would be a great test.

G

Lol I was about to say the same I want 14 apps!
Kidding aside, why not do a test with stuff that ppl might actually. Lets say running an anti-virus with real time protection(it can be a sucky ressource hugging one ?Norton?). Some spyware protection(might be doing a scan at this time). Also why not a firewall with simulated/controlled traffic comming in a steady stream. All that while running a game and maybe encoding a mp3 or a video. Now ppl might not encode and play at the same time, but that would max the cpu. Also im aware the virus scan etc depends on other equipment but that would make a platform test.
Im only scared thg's tech will put a 1.5" 4200rpm in the intel rig and raptors in raid0 in the Intel :smile: .

In the end, most of the power user ARE doing multitasking, just not the kind THG tested. Note that its kinda hard to do a real multitask test.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I don't even know why they call it a stress test, it always just turns into a performance test after they screw it up bad enough not to be able to compare the stability. They hardly even comment on the stability in the updates.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I understand that it is hard to do a "commonly used" multitask. And I don't expect them to. I really don't care what applications they use, as long as they aren't specifically geared towards one or the other platform. Even if they are "biased" apps that's ok, as long as they use a few "biased" apps from both sides.

As well, I don't know if we have to worry about the CPU's being at full load. I am just interested in what rig performs better, I don't care which one performs better at full load. For the most part I won't be running my rig at full load so lets make it more applicable to real world. If it is at full load then great, but if not then I don't really care.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
it always just turns into a performance test after they screw it up bad enough not to be able to compare the stability. They hardly even comment on the stability in the updates.
The whole thing was a joke as a stability test from the beginning anyway as they were using a lot of pre-release hardware on the Intel system. The <i>least</i> that they could have done if they wanted to test real-world stability would have been to put it off until they had actual <i>retail production</i> parts like any of us would be using.

Of course even just using the correct heat sink would have helped too. :O

:eek: <font color=purple>یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ</font color=purple> :eek:
@ 191K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Those of us who have been slamming your testing methods would dearly love to be put in our place with 1 more test...
Speak for yourself. <i>You</i> would dearly love it. <i>I</i> don't give a fig. They're grossly incompetent. Even <i>if</i> they got it right, at this point, how could anyone even trust their results?

Seriously, they did such a bad job the first time and you want to see them screw it up <i>again</i>? You must be a glutton for punishment. :p

:eek: <font color=purple>یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ</font color=purple> :eek:
@ 191K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

G

Lol I was about to make the same comment!
Plus if you want to get technical you could say they srewed up at least 6 time in the Stress test #2 and I dont rember how many times in the 1st one. So lets just say they messed up to often to be taken seriously, just like slvr said!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don't even know why they call it a stress test
How can you say it wasn't a stress test. Do you know how much stress was put on the technicians to make look the Intel rig decent?

&#3

<font color=red>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Viditor

On behalf of the staff here at THGC I would like to thank you for your interest in our reviews. We strive hard to deliver the quality of work that has made Team THGC the driving force that it is today. It would be impossible to answer all of the e-mails and request that we receive but we do our best to reach out to our viewers. Each week our system randomly chooses one request from our non-member audience and I am happy to inform you that your name has been chosen. Please submit your request through our automated feedback service no later than Friday June 24th. Again, thank you for choosing THGC as the information source for all your computing needs.

Sincerely

Mozz

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Or you could make your requests to Wingding.
He's one of the moderators, he usually is in the OTHER forum.

&#7

<font color=red>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=red>

THGC here again, just an update to Mozz's post:
For validation reasons you will also need to send me all your bank details and credit card numbers.

Thanks once again.

...yes, moderator.

<pre>He still doesn't know guys, let's keep this a secret</pre><p>