Closed Solved

Print black line problem

My friend's HP 7300 printer is printing one black horizontal line on the third page of a document.

I already tried the printer Alignment and also did a Printer self cartridge cleaning, both passed / printed perfectly.
Also tried a "printer test page" which also printed without any issues.

I looked at his document (a Menu for his Restaurant) and everything seems OK.

But even after all this tests I still get the black horizontal line on the same spot.
(the other 2 pages of his Menu are printing without any glitches)

What could be causing this?

Thank you for any help.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about print black line problem
  1. Very odd. Try printing another 3 page or longer document just in case there really is something odd with the printer. It sounds like the problem is something that is specific to the document.

Does the horizontal line stretch from one edge of the page to the other, or does it look more like the kind of line you put above a footer? Reason why I ask is I had a similar problem with my HP laserjet where it would print the footer at the wrong point on the page. Updating the printer driver fixed the problem.
  2. chippies said:
    Very odd. Try printing another 3 page or longer document just in case there really is something odd with the printer. It sounds like the problem is something that is specific to the document.

Does the horizontal line stretch from one edge of the page to the other, or does it look more like the kind of line you put above a footer? Reason why I ask is I had a similar problem with my HP laserjet where it would print the footer at the wrong point on the page. Updating the printer driver fixed the problem.

Yes, (or almost) from one edge to the other.

On top of some text, there is no footer on their page.

The document is a PDF file, legal size pages if that helps.
  3. Best answer
    That its a PDF suggests that the problem could still be related to the drivers, since my scenario was also only with PDFs. One way to test is to select the print as image option in Adobe reader. If the line disappears then the problem is with the driver.

Opening up the printer and cleaning out accumulated ink on the rollers and the bar that the ink cartridges slide along is also a good idea, but I don't know if that will help here.
  4. chippies said:
    That its a PDF suggests that the problem could still be related to the drivers, since my scenario was also only with PDFs. One way to test is to select the print as image option in Adobe reader. If the line disappears then the problem is with the driver.

Opening up the printer and cleaning out accumulated ink on the rollers and the bar that the ink cartridges slide along is also a good idea, but I don't know if that will help here.

Thanks for your help.

Like I said it is a PDF file, I just discovered that the file was converted to Word 97, I decided to give it a try and save it as Word 2010 (added the name "copy" to prevent damage his original file) printed the page, Crossed my Fingers.... and it worked!

Apparently there was some minor incompatibility issue somewhere even though I still can't understand what caused this.

Thanks again for your help.
  5. Best answer selected by drwho1.
  6. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Document Hewlett Packard Peripherals