Sign in with
Your question

Windows refuses to boot!

Last response: in Windows 7
December 24, 2012 3:50:40 AM

Recently, I had a power outage. Now, when I turn on my computer, it boots normally, and goes to the screen that allows you to choose to boot Windows normally or do a start-up repair. When I try to boot it normally, it goes to the "Starting Windows" screen, and after about a minute it restarts the computer. This happens every time I do it. If I choose start-up repair, then it has a couple of quick loading screens, then gets stuck on aa black screen and I have to turn off my computer. What can I do to fix it since start-up repair doesn't work?
Also, I tried to make a recovery disk by downloading a Windws 7 Recovery Disk and burning it on my laptop, but it says it cannot find the BOOTMGR file (even though it is ON the disk).
Are there ayother ways I could fix it?

More about : windows refuses boot

a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 3:57:48 AM

Are you getting any sort of error messages before the computer restarts?

Where did you get the recovery disk?
m
l
December 24, 2012 4:00:54 AM

Sadly, I can't find the link where I got the disk.

But, I do have a bit more info that may help:
I just tried booting to safe mode, to no avail. It hangs when it tries to load CLASSPNP.SYS and then it bluescreens. The bluescreen is pretty brief, so I can't see what it says. It then restarts the computer.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 5:19:21 AM

Sounds like one of two things is going on.

You either:
A. Now have a bad hard drive on your hands due to the power outage (hence the runaround getting into Windows)
B. Have a corrupt install due to the same power outage.

The only problem with web-based recovery media is they are not all created equal. There are tons out there that DO NOT do anything but make the problem worse.

I would download and run a free hdd test utility to see if it has bad sectors on it now due to the power outage or not.

How Do I Test My Hard Drive for Problems?
7 Free Hard Drive Testing Software Tools
[/b]
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:53:46 AM

Well, I tried te DOS program for Seagate (since it runs without Windows), and it gave the error "unable to read file: bcdw.bin". What's wrong?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 6:01:30 AM

That file is something that is associated with a bootable CD image. A bin file is actually something that would be used to burn a bootable image using a CD burning programs. Should not be of great concern.

Did you get any errors about bad sectors or anything from the drive itself?
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:12:34 AM

Well, I didn't get any errors at all, since that other error prevented the CD from booting. Because of that, I was unable to run the Seagate diagnostic tool.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:35:53 PM

mchccjg12 said:
Well, I didn't get any errors at all, since that other error prevented the CD from booting. Because of that, I was unable to run the Seagate diagnostic tool.

Try a different tool that isn't brand specific. If you don't see one in that list, Google "hard drive diagnostic tools" (without the quotes of course) and see if you can locate something that works there.

There is one other program called HIREN
m
l
December 24, 2012 9:59:30 PM

Sadly, I couldn't get any of those programs to work. They all get stuck on the "Boot from CD: _" part.
m
l
!