Tech:Bally $6MilMan...ideas please

Hello,
After playing several games the other night, I lifted the playfield to
change a couple bulbs. Changed 'em and put everything back. turned on the
game and got all the lights, but it would not boot up. No flashes on the
board. Nothing
I lifted the playfield again and noticed that the coil stop for the kickout
hole was laying on the bottom of the cabinet. There was only one screw down
there...And I think it wasn't even the right screw for the job (I've only
owned the game for 5 months-with no problems).
I put the coil stop back in with 2 new screws, turned the machine back on
and it's the same. Lights, but no action.
I took out the fuses one at a time and tested them ( just to make sure I did
that right, what should I set the meter on when I test the fuses from the
rectifier board?) and they all seem fine.
I even took a new Alltek board from another machine, set it for $6milman,
put it in, and still get nothing but all the lights. Looks totally normal
except that it's not kicking over.
Any ideas what's going on?
THANKS!!!
-Julius
5 answers Last reply
More about tech bally 6milman ideas please

    You probably blew the under playfield solenoid fuse - should be near
    the flippers. If not look furthur back and check the fuse for the +43
    v solenoid voltage - you probably blew this one if the coil shorted out
    against the coin door. Machine will not boot without the 43 volt line.

    Damn, I always forget about that under-playfield fuse - YES, check that
    one too!

    steve

    ---
    Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
    Hermitage, TN
    http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

    You've got a power supply issue. Definitely no flicker or flashes from the
    LED on the MPU board?

    I'd check voltages at all the test points on top of the fuse/rectifier
    board. If good, check for valid 5.0vdc and unregulated 12vdc (13.5-16.5vdc)
    at TP1 and TP5 on the solenoid board.

    Could very well be that the connections or components for the 5vdc regulated
    power had just decided to konk out at the time you did the work- just
    coincidence. Very common issue in these old Bally and Stern games and
    always has to be upgraded to allow for any kind of reliability from these
    games.

    For more info on repairs, modificiations, and upgrades, as well as further
    testing, see our site at: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles
    section. The article there on Bally solenoid driver board upgrades will
    cover all you need to know.

    Hope that helps!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "JJJ" <stym138@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > After playing several games the other night, I lifted the playfield to
    > change a couple bulbs. Changed 'em and put everything back. turned on the
    > game and got all the lights, but it would not boot up. No flashes on the
    > board. Nothing
    > I lifted the playfield again and noticed that the coil stop for the
    kickout
    > hole was laying on the bottom of the cabinet. There was only one screw
    down
    > there...And I think it wasn't even the right screw for the job (I've only
    > owned the game for 5 months-with no problems).
    > I put the coil stop back in with 2 new screws, turned the machine back on
    > and it's the same. Lights, but no action.
    > I took out the fuses one at a time and tested them ( just to make sure I
    did
    > that right, what should I set the meter on when I test the fuses from the
    > rectifier board?) and they all seem fine.
    > I even took a new Alltek board from another machine, set it for $6milman,
    > put it in, and still get nothing but all the lights. Looks totally normal
    > except that it's not kicking over.
    > Any ideas what's going on?
    > THANKS!!!
    > -Julius

    If under-playfield fuse blows, then all your coils *except* flippers will go
    dead. But rest of game will still work, including MPU booting up.

    If main coil fuse blows (F4) then game will still boot and run, but will
    give only 6 of the 7 flashes from MPU LED (no 7th flash, and will not go
    into game over mode).

    He says he's not getting any flicker or flashes from the MPU LED, so the MPU
    isn't even starting to run at all. I think it's lack of 5vdc- power supply
    issue.

    Ray J.
    --

    <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
    > You probably blew the under playfield solenoid fuse - should be near
    > the flippers. If not look furthur back and check the fuse for the +43
    > v solenoid voltage - you probably blew this one if the coil shorted out
    > against the coin door. Machine will not boot without the 43 volt line.

    seems like I missed the little detail of no flashes. oops..... of
    course if the coil shorted out and took out the PIA that handles the
    flashing of the LED......

Light Games Video Games