Tech:Bally $6MilMan...ideas please

JJJ

Distinguished
May 27, 2005

Hello,
After playing several games the other night, I lifted the playfield to
change a couple bulbs. Changed 'em and put everything back. turned on the
game and got all the lights, but it would not boot up. No flashes on the
board. Nothing
I lifted the playfield again and noticed that the coil stop for the kickout
hole was laying on the bottom of the cabinet. There was only one screw down
there...And I think it wasn't even the right screw for the job (I've only
owned the game for 5 months-with no problems).
I put the coil stop back in with 2 new screws, turned the machine back on
and it's the same. Lights, but no action.
I took out the fuses one at a time and tested them ( just to make sure I did
that right, what should I set the meter on when I test the fuses from the
rectifier board?) and they all seem fine.
I even took a new Alltek board from another machine, set it for $6milman,
put it in, and still get nothing but all the lights. Looks totally normal
except that it's not kicking over.
Any ideas what's going on?
THANKS!!!
-Julius

You probably blew the under playfield solenoid fuse - should be near
the flippers. If not look furthur back and check the fuse for the +43
v solenoid voltage - you probably blew this one if the coil shorted out
against the coin door. Machine will not boot without the 43 volt line.

You've got a power supply issue. Definitely no flicker or flashes from the
LED on the MPU board?

I'd check voltages at all the test points on top of the fuse/rectifier
board. If good, check for valid 5.0vdc and unregulated 12vdc (13.5-16.5vdc)
at TP1 and TP5 on the solenoid board.

Could very well be that the connections or components for the 5vdc regulated
power had just decided to konk out at the time you did the work- just
coincidence. Very common issue in these old Bally and Stern games and
always has to be upgraded to allow for any kind of reliability from these
games.

For more info on repairs, modificiations, and upgrades, as well as further
testing, see our site at: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles
section. The article there on Bally solenoid driver board upgrades will
cover all you need to know.

Hope that helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"JJJ" <stym138@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> After playing several games the other night, I lifted the playfield to
> change a couple bulbs. Changed 'em and put everything back. turned on the
> game and got all the lights, but it would not boot up. No flashes on the
> board. Nothing
> I lifted the playfield again and noticed that the coil stop for the
kickout
> hole was laying on the bottom of the cabinet. There was only one screw
down
> there...And I think it wasn't even the right screw for the job (I've only
> owned the game for 5 months-with no problems).
> I put the coil stop back in with 2 new screws, turned the machine back on
> and it's the same. Lights, but no action.
> I took out the fuses one at a time and tested them ( just to make sure I
did
> that right, what should I set the meter on when I test the fuses from the
> rectifier board?) and they all seem fine.
> I even took a new Alltek board from another machine, set it for $6milman,
> put it in, and still get nothing but all the lights. Looks totally normal
> except that it's not kicking over.
> Any ideas what's going on?
> THANKS!!!
> -Julius

If under-playfield fuse blows, then all your coils *except* flippers will go
dead. But rest of game will still work, including MPU booting up.

If main coil fuse blows (F4) then game will still boot and run, but will
give only 6 of the 7 flashes from MPU LED (no 7th flash, and will not go
into game over mode).

He says he's not getting any flicker or flashes from the MPU LED, so the MPU
isn't even starting to run at all. I think it's lack of 5vdc- power supply
issue.

Ray J.
--

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> You probably blew the under playfield solenoid fuse - should be near
> the flippers. If not look furthur back and check the fuse for the +43
> v solenoid voltage - you probably blew this one if the coil shorted out
> against the coin door. Machine will not boot without the 43 volt line.

seems like I missed the little detail of no flashes. oops..... of
course if the coil shorted out and took out the PIA that handles the
flashing of the LED......