Better to RTFM than trust an RGP post

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 20, 2005 5:43:19 AM

I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:)  Shame on
me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!

Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.

nomad

More about : rtfm trust rgp post

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:29:32 AM

I was going to write "free advice is worth every cent you paid for it"
:-) but that would be inaccurate.

The advice I've received from r.g.pinball groupmembers in the week
since I discovered this group has already solved 4 of my most pressing
pinball problems.

So I'll continue to RTFN, and maybe also RTFM :-)
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:35:08 AM

nomad wrote:
> I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
> searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
> pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
> not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
> look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
> wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
> POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:)  Shame on
> me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!
>
> Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
> broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.

Neither should be treated as the gospel. My Fuunhouse manual is so
wrong it's not funny, for example.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:01:52 AM

I would agree with the Shame on You part. There is certainly some
erroneous information on this newsgroup, but it is FAR outweighed by
the great information.

There are questions just not answered by manuals, and I have had
manuals that are wrong also. I recall one of the TOP videos discovering
an error in a schematic that was in the manual.

So at the end of the day..trust what you will
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:42:07 AM

I was reworking the hacked GI on my STTNG and followed the manual, but
the manual had errors on one or two connectors. So the best thing is
to record the wiring when you take it apart and put it back together
the same way. Assuming it used to work that is.

On 20 Sep 2005 01:43:19 -0700, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
>searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
>pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
>not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
>look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
>wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
>POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:)  Shame on
>me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!
>
>Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
>broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.
>
>nomad
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:19:39 PM

Not always, but it's good to double check :)

I've found errors in manuals with the corrected information on RGP!

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

!