Better to RTFM than trust an RGP post

I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:) Shame on
me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!

Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.

nomad
5 answers Last reply
More about better rtfm trust post

    I was going to write "free advice is worth every cent you paid for it"
    :-) but that would be inaccurate.

    The advice I've received from r.g.pinball groupmembers in the week
    since I discovered this group has already solved 4 of my most pressing
    pinball problems.

    So I'll continue to RTFN, and maybe also RTFM :-)

    nomad wrote:
    > I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
    > searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
    > pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
    > not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
    > look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
    > wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
    > POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:) Shame on
    > me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!
    >
    > Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
    > broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.

    Neither should be treated as the gospel. My Fuunhouse manual is so
    wrong it's not funny, for example.

    I would agree with the Shame on You part. There is certainly some
    erroneous information on this newsgroup, but it is FAR outweighed by
    the great information.

    There are questions just not answered by manuals, and I have had
    manuals that are wrong also. I recall one of the TOP videos discovering
    an error in a schematic that was in the manual.

    So at the end of the day..trust what you will

    I was reworking the hacked GI on my STTNG and followed the manual, but
    the manual had errors on one or two connectors. So the best thing is
    to record the wiring when you take it apart and put it back together
    the same way. Assuming it used to work that is.

    On 20 Sep 2005 01:43:19 -0700, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
    >searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
    >pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
    >not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
    >look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
    >wrong. Fixed connector per manual and all is good now. Also fixed the
    >POA by replacing Q30 (move left) and that post info did work:) Shame on
    >me for not checking the manual, I'll know better next time!
    >
    >Good thing the upper GI works now cuz I saw the single drop target has
    >broken in 2! Gotta love pins, fix 2 things, find one broken thing.
    >
    >nomad

    Not always, but it's good to double check :)

    I've found errors in manuals with the corrected information on RGP!

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was replacing the burnt GI connector on my IJ tonight and while I was
    > searching old posts for some POA info I found a post that had the
    > pinouts to the GI connector so I printed it out. After following it and
    > not getting any lower GI (which was working) I decided to get smart and
    > look at the manual. Well seems the manual was right and the post was
    > wrong.

Games Video Games