Win 98 Instability

G

I just purchased an AMD Thunderbird 1ghz processor along with an MSI K7tPro-2A motherboard based off of the KT-133 Via chipset. Initial hardware setup went flawless...until i went to install Windows 98. First, I got BSODs during the install itself. Several resets and formats later, it finally installed. Now Windows is pretty unstable. I figured perhaps it would gain some stability when I downloaded some software updates and what not. However, it hasn't. Aside from the processor and mobo, i have an Asus V7700 Geforce2 Pro /w 64mb, Creative Soundblaster Live, Diamond Supra Modem, 3Com network card, 128mb of Micron PC133 SDRAM, and a 13.0GB Maxtor hard drive. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated..

-Mastri
Mastri@worldnet.att.net

G

did you install the via 4-in-1 drivers from the included cd? win98 ahs known problems with irq routing and ide incompatibility issues if those drivers are not installed....try that(if windows has crashed alot format reload then the first thing you do after the reload is install the via 4-in-1 drivers)

nalaree007

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
When you reformat, you should debug first. The problem sounds like an IRQ conflict. I built a system like yours using the same mobo (I think MSI makes pretty good mobos), make sure nothing is in PCI slot one and that the soundcard is not sharing IRQs with the AGP card. Disable the serial and parallel ports, if you aren't using them in BIOS as well as any onboard devices (like the onboard sound and modem). Download the latest VIA 4in1 drivers.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I was reading today about the 7700 video you have and according to the specs at least on the page I was reading the card is for a intel type chipset. Im not sure if it is true or not but maybe trying another video card to see if it clears up may give a clue to the problem.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.