AMD 3700+ Sckt 754 versus AMD3500+ SCKT939

Adambrae

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
Hi Guys,

I've noticed that the AMD 3700+ Socket 754 is the same price as the AMD3500+ Socket 939. My questions are:
1. Which will give me the most speed for games.
2. Are there any major limitations in going down the Socket 754 route?

For your information, I have a Gefore6800GT AGP so I don't want to move over to PCI-e just yet, hence Nvidia Chipset 4 is out.

G

The limitation of the socket 754 is
1st : it doesnt support dual channel. This remove a few % of performance.
2nd: socket 754 is being moved too the low-end wich means you wont be able to upgrade your cpu much over a 3700+. and its being slowly phased out...

Now if you dont plan on getting a nf4 because of your video card, it might not be a bad idea to get a s754 cpu depending on how long you plan to keep this system. If you think by the time you will upgrade your video card, your likely to also change your cpu/motherboard, the fact that your system uses socket 754 might not be an issue.

Also note that the latest nVidia is only PCIe(we might get some agp's if demend is there).

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
In addition to what Labbby said, the 3700 skt754 is a faster CPU (2.4ghz) than the 3500 skt939 (2.2ghz). Dual channel doesn't make up the full difference.

If you're overclocking, I'd suggest the 3500+ in a Venice core because its got more potential, but if you're not overclocking, then the 754 solution is mighty attractive.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Adambrae

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
Hi Guys, thanks for the info.

I'm not an overclocker, but only because I know nothing about it. I just purchased the 6800GT today because a. it was the same price as a 6600GT, and b. because my Geforce Ti4200 has done my for 2 years and it's only now that games like Battlefield 2 don't support it.

Will the 3700+ be significantly faster than the 3500+? I mention this as they are the same outlay, and if not, I'd probably err on the safe side and go the Socket 939 route.

I'm expecting this system to do me say 1 year until dual cores are the norm and Windows XP64 has at least one service patch.

Is that realistic?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Either will do fine for games. The 3700 is clocked at 2.4ghz single channel, and the 3500 is 2.2ghz dual channel. Dual channel gives around 5% boost over single channel, and 2.4ghz is 8.33% faster than 2.2ghz, so they're really pretty close.

The 3500+ has the advantage of being on socket 939, so if you want to stretch your upgrades out, you just drop in an X2 CPU in a year, then upgrade to PCI-e with a new video card and socket 939 mobo later.

I think I'd get the 3500+.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

pat

Expert
The 3700+ has 2.4 GHz and 1 meg of cache. This is much more speed % than the dual channel 3500+ is ever going to give you.

This CPU, coupled with you 6800GT will make a hell of a gaming system that will blast you until newer CPU on newer socket will be available. And you'll be buying than new socket CPU and a new motherboard anyway at this time, so compatibility for future is not something that I'd care about.

Fact is, if you are going to get that CPU, then I'll be jealous, because I plan to sell my 939 rig and go the 754 road until socket M2 be available with newer CPU, better memory and faster HDD interface.. And ILL get the 3400+ instead of the 3700+.. I can live with only 512 k of cache.

So, if you dont overclock, you want a fast CPU to perfectly match you video card and dont plan any major upgrade for the next 2-3 years, then the 3700+ is clearly the way to go. Did you know that the 939 4000+ has 2.4 GHZ and 1 meg cache, as the 3700+. It only has dual channel memory interface that is faster than the 3700+. So if you still doubt about the performance of the 3700+, then I'm pretty sure it is close, or even a bit faster than the 939 3800+... and way cheaper...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
The 3700+ is the best bang for your buck for near top-of-the-line performance. If u clock it up slightly to 2.6ghz then its basically an FX55.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

pat

Expert
No... this kind of motherboard is based on compromise.. You dont want to couple a fast CPU with such a crippled motherboard.. You'll loose all the advantage of having a fast chip...

Get a good motherboard, which will be a S 754 only.

Adambrae

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the info. So is the 3400+ almost just as fast as the 3700+ apart from 512MB cache? Socket 754 of course.

If so, it's quite a lot cheaper and as this PC had only got to last a year, the cheaper the better. Lastly, anyone know how compatible Windows XP64 is with all this gear and modern games?

TechMan

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
If you plan to install Win XP64, be sure you have the 64-bit drivers for your hardware. Windows has some default drivers but it's always best to have the driver from your manufacturer.

There are still not much 64-bit games at the moment but your 32-bit games will still run in Win XP64. There's just some unnoticeable performance hit since the games will run on 32-bit emulation inside Win XP64.

Just a bit of advice, install both 32-bit and 64-bit OS'es on different partitions in a multi-OS setup. You can then freely choose which applications will be installed in which OS.

On Cache and Bandwidth:
You do mean cash, and fan width goes to Intel right? - endyen 05

Adambrae

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
One very last thing, and I guess it should be in the Motherboard forum, but as I've had your advice so far; what Motherboard do you recommend? I'm buying from Scan.co.uk and I'm planning on a Nforce 3 250 M/Board.

They have boards from Asus, Abit, MSI, DFI, and Gigabyte. I have a PATA HD and DVD-RW that I want to use, so there's 2 sockets used. I also plan on buying an additional SATA HD. I need IEEE1394, stereo sound and that's about it.

I'd ideally like speed, but most of all general compatibility and BIOS updates as they come along. In the past I've been disappointed with BIOS updates from other suppliers, but my ABIT board has been good to me. Also, the quieter it is the better.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
From those options I like Asus and DFI. If you can get the nforce 4 ultra chipset, if not the nforce 4 would do.

<font color=green>The other line always moves faster<font color=green>
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=53481#53481" target="_new">Free Software Links</A>

pat

Expert
If so, it's quite a lot cheaper and as this PC had only got to last a year, the cheaper the better. Lastly, anyone know how compatible Windows XP64 is with all this gear and modern games?

Only one year.. then get a 3000 or a 3200+.. they are fast enough and cost less.. But I bet that you'll find your setup more than enough in one year to come...

As others said, there is not enough drivers for current component(printer, scanners,..) available for WinXP 64to make it your only OS. Apart fron saying "hey!, I'm running a 64 bits OS", there is not yet any advantage to use it for domestic use.

pat

Expert
If you can get the nforce 4 ultra chipset, if not the nforce 4 would do.

No, he dont want the nforce4.. he has an AGP video card that he want to reuse ...

He want a nforce3 motherboard.