Wavy Signal Noise DVI-VGA signal and IPS vs TN Panel

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Hello all,

I have a Westinghouse L2410NM 24" MVA panel monitor and recently I've upgraded my video card from a XFX 4870 to an MSI 7850. I actually had the ASUS brand 7850 too but returned it thinking it may have been defective due to the following issue. The issue I'm having is with my current video card is that whenever it goes under heavy load the signal appears to pick up a lot of noise and these really annoying horizontal waves go throughout my monitor.

I have it hooked up through a DVI-VGA adapter because the HDMI port on my monitor cuts out after some use and of course there isn't a DVI port. I tried swapping out the VGA cable for a thicker one with bigger ferrite core ends but I think this only helped very marginally. I think the issue is partly due to my monitor being complete crap in addition to how the 7850 series sends out a signal that doesn't convert well to VGA. My old 4870 had no such issues through the same exact setup.

Now, I have tried hooking up the HDMI just to see if the waves would go away (they should since it's, well, digital) and they do! The problem here though is that the picture is really crap. It's pretty fuzzy and it looks like the contrast is super high (very washed out white look to everything). The same problem occurred on the ASUS 7850 as well. Again, this issue didn't occur on the 4870 when I used the HDMI port.

So, do you have any suggestions to remove the wavy noise under load or does this seem more like an internal signal processing issue in that the way the 7000 series puts out a signal this monitor cannot properly handle it? In addition in the past when I attempted to replace this monitor (back when I had the 4870) with a couple TN panels the color fidelity was simply not there. It appears the only saving grace of this monitor, its MVA panel, has spoiled me. Now, I've been looking at IPS panels and the Dell U2412, ASUS VS239H-P 23", an LG IPS235V-BN 23" seem like top choices. What's killing me though is how much that extra 1" costs for the Dell, $100 more than the ASUS. I won't lie, I really like my 16:10 ratio but I've gamed on a 23" 16:9 before and for $100 savings I think I could get over it. So, any preference of a monitor assuming I can't get this fixed? I certainly wouldn't mind suggestions I haven't listed either. Thanks!

I'd replace the monitor if the issue happens with several cards. Or you have interface around the system. 24" probably has pretty high resolution, the higher signal in VGA cable will stress the signal integrity for sure.

Get the Dell. A lot of LGs I have seen have screen issues. There is or was a deal on newegg for a dell ultrasharp monitor.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Sorry for the delayed response. I actually had an old 15" Dell LCD laying around (pretty old) and I hooked that up through its VGA cable and that too had the same issue. I conclude that this means the AMD 7000 series puts out a distorted/poor signal when converted to VGA. My solution is to deal with it until I get a new monitor.