early SS with dummy EM score reel

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 20, 2005 11:48:51 AM

I remember reading about an early SS machine that had a score reel
inside so that the machine made the appropriate noises when adding
scores. I think the logic was that the player who was used to hearing
the score run up during play would turn and run away from the machine
if it didn't make the right noises. Switching from EM to SS must have
been a scary time for the manufacturers.

However, looking around now I can't find that machine. I'm starting to
think I was dreaming. Was a machine like that made? I hope so, I told
someone about it a while back and he looked at me as if I was nuts.

thanks,
Jeff

More about : early dummy score reel

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:04:53 PM

There was also an EM game that had a special painted score reel that
made it look like a digital readout.

Too bad Gottlieb was so hesitant to switch to SS.

Have a Good Day
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:25:02 PM

first couple williams SS's have this (world cup soccer comes to mind)
there were a couple others probably hot tip also
September 20, 2005 12:40:24 PM

seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:
> first couple williams SS's have this (world cup soccer comes to mind)
> there were a couple others probably hot tip also

They put in the chime box, not score reels. William World Cup soccer,
and Lucky 7 and Hot Tip had them. I think there may also be others.

Bob Stemmler
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:49:50 PM

there was also a score reel for the points to make the "click" noise.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:31:46 PM

Williams did this - two games that I know of (and have or have owned): Hot
Tip (produced in both EM and SS versions) and Lucky 7. Had a dummy reel
down in the main cabinet that would "click" as points were added to the
display.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<jknight@quik.com> wrote in message
> I remember reading about an early SS machine that had a score reel
> inside so that the machine made the appropriate noises when adding
> scores. I think the logic was that the player who was used to hearing
> the score run up during play would turn and run away from the machine
> if it didn't make the right noises. Switching from EM to SS must have
> been a scary time for the manufacturers.
>
> However, looking around now I can't find that machine. I'm starting to
> think I was dreaming. Was a machine like that made? I hope so, I told
> someone about it a while back and he looked at me as if I was nuts.
>

> thanks,
> Jeff

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:33:22 PM

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
> first couple williams SS's have this (world cup soccer comes to mind)
> there were a couple others probably hot tip also

World Cup did not have the dummy score reel- it was in fact the first game
to feature all-solid-state sound- had a sound board mounted in the main
cabinet- no chimes or dummy "clicker" score reel in this one. Chimes and
the clicker score reel could be found in earlier models- Lucky 7 and Hot
Tip. Might have been others as well but not sure.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

September 20, 2005 3:39:17 PM

"Bob Stemmler" wrote:
> They put in the chime box, not score reels. William World Cup soccer,
> and Lucky 7 and Hot Tip had them. I think there may also be others.

World Cup had all solid-state sound- no chimes- this was the first Wms game
to feature solid-state sound. The 2 earlier solid-state games with chimes
(Lucky 7 and Hot Tip) also had a dummy score reel next to the chimes that
would click when points were added to the display.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

September 20, 2005 7:11:06 PM

Jeff,
You're not dreaming. This actually was done. My brother was talking about this
very thing just the other day, but I forgot what game he said it was. It may have
been done on more than just one game, but I can't name any.

PS- On the flip side of this, Gottlieb produced a wedgehead EM (three versions) that
had fake SS style "digits" on the score reels. I have the add-a-ball version called
"Neptune". The other two versions are "Hit the Deck" (replay), and "Poseidon" (export).
JR
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:52:15 PM

I had a Lucky Seven, no score reel in the one I had. It had slot
machine reels, but they only moved when you hit a target.

zTim
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:02:11 PM

Yes, hot tip, have one that needs a major overhaul, and the dummy reel
is in the box, but the problem being the backglass is missing. Don't
expect an repros soon :(
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 7:56:09 AM

I think one of the games that had this was
"Roller Disco". Can anyone verify this?
JR
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 9:32:46 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:11:06 GMT, JR Pinball <jsadama@nospamworldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Jeff,
> You're not dreaming. This actually was done. My brother was talking about this
> very thing just the other day, but I forgot what game he said it was. It may have
> been done on more than just one game, but I can't name any.

Williams Hot Tip came with a score reel mounted in the bottom of the
cabinet. The schematics refer to it as a noisemaking device, if I
recall correctly.

I've heard that some World Cup games also came with this before they
stopped doing it.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| IMHO: I Make Harmful Odors...? |