Partition Magic 8.0 Vs Dell Dimension 2400

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 18, 2004 8:07:40 PM

Hi1

I'm using a six month old Dell Desktop, w/WIN XP, 512 ram, 40 G Hdd. I
ran MSCONFIG and UN-clicked the box that reads "LOAD START UP ITEMS".
I then restarted, and verified that no boxes were checked in MS
CONFIG, (AND, another utility I use that is better than MSCONFIG as it
offers the opportunity to delete the entire line as well, from
MSCONFIG) Well, with my PC rebooted, snd nothing in MSCONFIG, I ran
Partition Magic and took the necessary steps to divide my 40G drive
into 7G for Op-Sys and drivers, and 32G for programs and utilities.

Next step was performed by PM 8.0. It restarted and began the
partitioning on a light blue page. Suddenly I received an error
message stating that the process could not be continued because either
a virus program was running, or the Boot Sector Virus Protection was
enabled. Well! No antivirus program was running AND there is NO
opportunity in the DELL BIOS to enable OR disable any Boot Sector
Virus Protection. It's just not there!!

Now what do I do to partition my drive? Use the PM disk as a frisbee?
Seriously, though, I do hang up used CD disks on a line in my garden
to scare birds away from a freshly seeded row. They work !!!

Thanks for help, advice and even sympathy
Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 11:47:58 PM

You're not using Partition Magic correctly. You need to read their PDF
documentation thoroughly.

In order to successfully repartition a disk that includes your operating
system, you should use the diskette and work from DOS. No reason to play
with msconfig.

Rocky

"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi1
>
> I'm using a six month old Dell Desktop, w/WIN XP, 512 ram, 40 G Hdd. I
> ran MSCONFIG and UN-clicked the box that reads "LOAD START UP ITEMS".
> I then restarted, and verified that no boxes were checked in MS
> CONFIG, (AND, another utility I use that is better than MSCONFIG as it
> offers the opportunity to delete the entire line as well, from
> MSCONFIG) Well, with my PC rebooted, snd nothing in MSCONFIG, I ran
> Partition Magic and took the necessary steps to divide my 40G drive
> into 7G for Op-Sys and drivers, and 32G for programs and utilities.
>
> Next step was performed by PM 8.0. It restarted and began the
> partitioning on a light blue page. Suddenly I received an error
> message stating that the process could not be continued because either
> a virus program was running, or the Boot Sector Virus Protection was
> enabled. Well! No antivirus program was running AND there is NO
> opportunity in the DELL BIOS to enable OR disable any Boot Sector
> Virus Protection. It's just not there!!
>
> Now what do I do to partition my drive? Use the PM disk as a frisbee?
> Seriously, though, I do hang up used CD disks on a line in my garden
> to scare birds away from a freshly seeded row. They work !!!
>
> Thanks for help, advice and even sympathy
> Mike
> Picture Rocks, AZ
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 11:58:51 PM

Rocky,

Sorry, but that's wrong. I agree you don't need to mess with MSCONFIG, since
PM restarts into 'pre-WINXP mode' to do its thing, but you don't ever need
to boot from the diskette. You lose many, many of the PM options.

Tom
"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> You're not using Partition Magic correctly. You need to read their PDF
> documentation thoroughly.
>
> In order to successfully repartition a disk that includes your operating
> system, you should use the diskette and work from DOS. No reason to play
> with msconfig.
>
> Rocky
>
> "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi1
> >
> > I'm using a six month old Dell Desktop, w/WIN XP, 512 ram, 40 G Hdd. I
> > ran MSCONFIG and UN-clicked the box that reads "LOAD START UP ITEMS".
> > I then restarted, and verified that no boxes were checked in MS
> > CONFIG, (AND, another utility I use that is better than MSCONFIG as it
> > offers the opportunity to delete the entire line as well, from
> > MSCONFIG) Well, with my PC rebooted, snd nothing in MSCONFIG, I ran
> > Partition Magic and took the necessary steps to divide my 40G drive
> > into 7G for Op-Sys and drivers, and 32G for programs and utilities.
> >
> > Next step was performed by PM 8.0. It restarted and began the
> > partitioning on a light blue page. Suddenly I received an error
> > message stating that the process could not be continued because either
> > a virus program was running, or the Boot Sector Virus Protection was
> > enabled. Well! No antivirus program was running AND there is NO
> > opportunity in the DELL BIOS to enable OR disable any Boot Sector
> > Virus Protection. It's just not there!!
> >
> > Now what do I do to partition my drive? Use the PM disk as a frisbee?
> > Seriously, though, I do hang up used CD disks on a line in my garden
> > to scare birds away from a freshly seeded row. They work !!!
> >
> > Thanks for help, advice and even sympathy
> > Mike
> > Picture Rocks, AZ

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:45:35 AM

I don't know why you fooled with msconfig, but if you've paid for the
PM program, call for assistance.

--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: