palm apps + opera + 240res on phone?

January 10, 2005 9:53:25 PM

I'm in the USA on verizon, and I'm looking for a new phone.

I'd like to be able to run Opera on a 240+ resolution screen, be on
Verizon, and have access to Plam apps.

Is there such a phone? Damn, as far as the physical format is
concerned, the Casio W21CA looks sweet! I like clam-shell designs as
they tend to be more comfortable to use as a phone.

Opera lists some phones that can run their browser here, but about the
various groups (s60/80/90, UIQ, Brew, EZX, ultron, Qtopia) -- i'm in
the dark! Are these all phone OS's?

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/

Can anyone point me to a quintessential quide on Phone OS's,
applications & emulators, and US carriers?

Thanks!
(please excuse the burp when replying)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:25:30 AM

Jaz wrote:
> I'm in the USA on verizon, and I'm looking for a new phone.
>
> I'd like to be able to run Opera on a 240+ resolution screen, be on
> Verizon, and have access to Plam apps.

The Opera page has an FAQ, and in it, I found this:

Is Opera available on Palm devices?

Not yet. We are servicing clients first but we are considering
development for this platform. We will of course announce that
availability once it becomes possible.

So, you cannot have both Opera and Palm apps.

As for palmOne phones (palmOne being the hardware company that resulted
from the split of Palm into PalmSource (software) and palmOne (hardware)),
there are two that they currently sell. The Treo 600 has a 160x160
color screen, so that doesn't meet your specifications. The Treo 650
has a 320x320 screen, so presumably its screen is big enough[1].

Whether you can use it with Verizon I don't know. If Verizon is
a GSM carrier, then you should be able to when they release the GSM
version. (Right now they only have a CDMA version, and that only
works with Sprint.) Presumably the GSM version of the 650 is coming
soon since the CDMA version of the 650 has been out for a month or two.

On the subject of GSM and CDMA: the three major systems in use in
the US are CDMA (Carrier Division Multiple Access), TDMA (Time
Division Multiple Access), and GSM (Groupe Speciale Mobile).
GSM is becoming more and more common (it is the standard in Europe),
and several carriers are ditching their older TDMA or CDMA networks
in favor of GSM.

Anyway, the GSM version of the Treo 650 is supposed to be a "world
phone", which means it should work with any GSM network in any
country anywhere. (Some other phones are limited only to the
frequencies used in Europe, or only those used in the US, and so
are limited to one place or the other.)

So, to summarize, your best bet is a Treo 650. It doesn't have Opera,
but it does have its own web browser which is (obviously) optimized
for reading on a small screen. It runs Palm apps[2]. It has a
320x320 screen. If Verizon is a GSM carrier, then it will work
with Verizon, once the GSM version of the phone is available.

For more info on the Treo 650:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/

Oh, one more thing: there are rumors that a new Palm OS 6 device,
probably a phone, is coming out soon. The Treo 650 is a Palm OS 5
device, and OS 6 is a new release of the OS which is supposed to
be a big improvement in certain areas but isn't out yet on any
real device. So if you're interested in that, then you might want
to wait a few months and see if anything comes out.

- Logan

[1] As an aside, "240+ resolution" is a little vague. Do you mean
a minimum of 240x240, or a minimum of 240x320? The latter is
the standard screen size for Pocket PC devices.

[2] Well, there have been some annoyances with minor incompatibilities
due to some design decisions Palm made, but most apps still work,
and developers are doing the workarounds necessary to make things
Treo 650 compatible in most cases.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:32:14 PM

Logan wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/
>
>Oh, one more thing: there are rumors that a new Palm OS 6 device,
>probably a phone, is coming out soon. The Treo 650 is a Palm OS 5
>device, and OS 6 is a new release of the OS which is supposed to
>be a big improvement in certain areas but isn't out yet on any
>real device. So if you're interested in that, then you might want
>to wait a few months and see if anything comes out.
>
> - Logan
>
>[1] As an aside, "240+ resolution" is a little vague. Do you mean
> a minimum of 240x240, or a minimum of 240x320? The latter is
> the standard screen size for Pocket PC devices.
>
>[2] Well, there have been some annoyances with minor incompatibilities
> due to some design decisions Palm made, but most apps still work,
> and developers are doing the workarounds necessary to make things

Logan,

Thank you for that most excellent answer!

I spoke with Verizon today and they claim they'll be shipping the Treo
650 in MA within a few months (I have 3 months to wait before I've had
my current phone for two years and I'll get a a good discount on a new
phone _from_ Verizon).

I still hope to get some answers here on Palm apps/emulators on the
Linux PDA or Symbian phones, for example, since there are so many more
of them and since that's the direction phone OS's seem to be heading
in.

Also, why is it that Verizon (according to the rep I spoke with this
morning) won't allow other CDMA phones to live on their service. He
said that it's because the phone's ESN will be outside their space --
So what?! Seems fishy, as if they simply want to sell phones or limit
their hardware support.

Jaz
(please excuse the burp when replying)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:32:15 PM

In article <jbo7u0d7uh7laqtkfdu579ieum5nennm21@4ax.com>, Jaz wrote:
> I still hope to get some answers here on Palm apps/emulators on the
> Linux PDA or Symbian phones...

Well, it can be done on Linux. Sort of. There's a "Palm OS Emulator"
("POSE") for developers that simulates (almost) everything in a Palm,
down to the hardware level. Like MAME does for old arcade games.
However, there are a few major limitations:

1. You need a Palm ROM image, the actual O.S. software. It's illegal
to distribute these. You can pull one off of an existing Palm, or
register for their developer program and download them. But there
are legal restrictions on these uses, too.

2. Because it's a hardware emulator, it's slow. Particularly on PDA
hardware. On a 400MHz desktop I remember being able to tell it
was emulated. For certain applications it's apparently 'usable'.

3. It only exists for the older, 68k-processor Palms. That means
nothing past OS 4.1. No way to emulate the ARM-based Palms
(OS 5.x) at this time.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"...seek out the insects. There, you will see a state of warfare
which has existed for millions of years with never a truce. Man,
despite enormous shortcomings, is nevertheless possessed of a
greater number of kindly impulses than all the other beings..."
- Roger Zelazny
!