Did I destroy my cpu?

imphasing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
I was having trouble with this motherboard, so I put my brand new athlon 2600+ into a different (older) motherboard. (same socket type, etc) and when I turned it on, the chip got really hot. (I didn't heatsink it, because I just wanted to see if it would boot up) when I say hot, I mean burn your fingers hot. did this motherboard kill my cpu?

Alex

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
CPU's should have some kind of thermal protection. But there's only one way to know. Install it again (with heatsink and thermal paste please) and post here again if you still have problems.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

imphasing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
that's the problem, I can't get anything to work. I'm trying to figure out what the problem with my new system is, and I wanted to rule out cpu...this was an old, untested, used mobo that I tried it in though, so it may not have worked...

what my system does is this (it's an nf7-s2 mobo, 1 gig corsair value select, athlon 2600+, and a 6600GT AGP vid card)

it look like it's going to start up, all the lights come on and stuff, fans etc. but it never gets to post. I think. nothing ever shows up on the screen, and harddrives and such don't start...I'm thinking maybe that ram doesn't work with my mobo, and it's not posting?

Alex

May I be the first to say:

Hahahahaaaaaa, sorry dude.

Booting up a CPU with out a heat sink is a no-no. You will kill the CPU in literally 2 seconds or less. If you were really unlucky you might have taken out the Motherboard with it.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Did you ever think that the large chunk of metal and fan was used for something?

I dont know about you but I put oil in my car before I start it for the first time!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

imphasing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
but it must take a good 5-10 seconds before any heat starts transferring into the heatsink...I figured I could keep it on for 5 seconds and it would be ok...so no? :p
so what are the chances that it's still kicking?

Alex

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I just want my cpu....:(

No one stole your CPU, you fu<b></b>cked it up!

<font color=white><pre>i.e., you still have it</font color=white>
</pre><p>
Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Of course there's a chance (not a 1 in 999999999999999999999999 type of thing, either...a decent chance), but only you can answer that--you HAVE the cpu!

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

imphasing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
I read somewhere that this mobo is a bit fussy about ram...could it be the reason it's not posting is becuase of the ram? you'd think I'd at least get a beep or something...

Alex

endyen

Splendid
When you turned the chip on, without hsf, you probably shorted it out. If you did, putting it into another mobo will fry the vregs in about a second. There is an ohmeter test for Amd cpus. I suggest you take the chip to a reputable shop, and have them perform the test, before you destroy any (more?) mobos

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Sorry dude but you most likely destroyed that CPU - Those days of running your CPU without a heatsink for a few seconds were over when the k6 and pentiums left the scene. .... Bummer.

imphasing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
It's not like my cpu started smoking or anything...it was only without the heatsink for maybe 7 seconds, which looks like about long enough to completly obliterate a cpu...but it wasn't THAT hot. it didn't burn me or anything, just to hot to hold comfortably. Even if I did blow it, I learned a valuble lesson.

1. dont run a cpu without a heatsink
2. see lesson 1.

:p

Alex

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Try reading the FAQs in the motherboards forum it gives you a lot of things to check.

I would think that the CPU would shut itself due to the heat, but maybe not.

Don't listen to these guys, of course they're gonna give you hell because it was pretty dumb, but I don't think there's one single person here that has done something and a few seconds after realized that it was pretty stupid.

Anyway check the FAQs, try stuff and then post what happen, eventually someone will help.

Maybe you could try to RMA it after you exhausted all the options.

Good luck with that CPU :smile:

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
It depends entirely on the motherboard. most somewhat recent motherboards should protect the cpu (Athln XP thermal protection relies on the motherboard) against what you did. If the board supported that, the chip is probably still ok. If it doesn't, its in CPU heaven now.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Don't listen to these guys, of course they're gonna give you hell because it was pretty dumb, but I don't think there's one single person here that has done something and a few seconds after realized that it was pretty stupid.
True, but not all of us go on the internet and let the world know how dumb we were.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
My first 1700+ got fried too when someone put the heatsync on backwards. It still had contact too. The POP came after only a few seconds.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Always fit the "HEATSINK"!

If the CPU still works, working hours left will be considerably reduced once overheated.

Why fit a new CPU to a olderboard possibly faulty MB?

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

plenkor

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Yeah, it's dead.

For comparison, I had a small gap between my opteron CPU and its heatsink, and by the time I got to the BIOS menu to check the temperature (maybe 10 seconds) it was already at 74 celsius. Luckily it survived, but it was a close one. And Opterons have built-in heat spreaders, unlike your CPU.

AMD specs say that if you get above 70 celsius, all bets are off. You probably went way over, and the thing is fried. Five seconds with a bare die is enough.

The good news is you can certainly get a new one on ebay for $60. I sold a 2800+ on there a month ago for $50.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your CPU is dead. No ifs, ands, or buts.

While AMD XP processors have a thermal diode built in, the circuitry for monitoring the diode is built into the motherboard (not the CPU chip). Your older motherboard probably does not have this circuity, so your CPU fried almost instantly.

An Intel chip would have survived, as all the thermal circuity is built into the chip. AMD relies on the motherboard vendors to supply the thermal shutdown circuit. This is no issue with newer boards, but with older boards..... always be sure you have a HSF attached!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>