Good quality gaming monitor for under $300

Terminus14

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Closer the better.

Budget Range: High end of my budget is $250. Possibly $300 but absolutely no higher.

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet, editing photos/videos

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com but I'm open to any other site with good reputations that you guys suggest

Country of Origin: United States

Brand Preferences: Preferably a company with a good rep. Asus, Samsung, Dell, ect...

Physical Size (Diagonal): 24"

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920x1080 or higher for maximum resolution

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: Want to use this monitor to connect my laptop and my PS3 with an HDMI cable. I'm ok with only having one port on the monitor though because I can just switch the cable between devices.

Panel Type(s) Desired: I'm new to most things monitor related so just whatever you suggest

LED Backlight: Indifferent but leaning towards avoiding because I don't want problems with whitewashing in dark scenes in movies/games or the blue tint I keep hearing about.

Speakers: Indifferent

Wall-Mount: Indifferent

Stand Functions: Indifferent (pivot would be nice but not necessary)

Additional Comments: Low response time is preferred. Any ghosting or blurring during games would be really irritating so <5ms would be best. I'm using this as a second monitor for my laptop and as a screen for my PS3 so a high image quality with a wide range of colors is a must. Also, I've always had a problem in the past when, for example, a movie has a scene where it's night or in a dark room or whatever and it's hard to tell one thing from the other because it seems to all be the same black blob so whatever is needed to keep this from happening is really a top priority.

If it will help, the games I'll typically be playing are:
Fallout 3 (PS3)
Modern Warfare 2 and 3 (PS3)
Battlefield 3 (PS3)
Skyrim (PS3)
Dead Space 2 (PC) (really need quality in dark scenes for this one)
Diablo 3 (PC)

I've found this Asus monitor on newegg and I was really tempted to get it until I learned about the problems with LED backlights. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Thoughts?

EDIT: I was going through some other threads in the forum and found a 23" IPS monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288
Would this be good for what I'm needing?

Terminus14

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

For this monitor, it looks amazing. A little pricy but I can see that it's worth it with all the work they put into that thing. What I do wonder though is that with the general hate against TN panels, would this still be good? Does that Black eQualizer cancel out enough of the things I've heard LEDs are wont to cause?

Terminus14

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Just in case anyone cares, I ended up getting the Asus VS239H-P. I couldn't be happier with it. Great straight out of the box. If anyone knows some sort of free color calibration software or something, please let me know because I would like to make sure my colors are as good as they can be.