Can a recent Dell purchase be returned?

A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund. Everything
is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.

Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?

Thanks, -Pat
33 answers Last reply
More about recent dell purchase returned

    Pat wrote:
    | A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
    | this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    | Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    |
    | Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    |
    | Thanks, -Pat

    From Dell:

    "Total Satisfaction Policy"

    a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
    invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
    date of invoice.
    b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
    that it is in its original packaging.
    c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
    initial shipping and handling).

    More details at:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=010#total

    Pat wrote:
    | A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
    | this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    | Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    |
    | Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    |
    | Thanks, -Pat

    From Dell:

    "Total Satisfaction Policy"

    a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
    invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
    date of invoice.
    b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
    that it is in its original packaging.
    c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
    initial shipping and handling).

    More details at:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=010#total

    Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate it.

    Pat

    "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    > | A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
    > | this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    > | Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    > |
    > | Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    > |
    > | Thanks, -Pat
    >

    > From Dell:
    >
    > "Total Satisfaction Policy"
    >
    > a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
    > invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
    > date of invoice.
    > b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
    > that it is in its original packaging.
    > c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
    > initial shipping and handling).
    >

    > More details at:

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=010#total

    Why would you bother with this NG if the situation were real?
    "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    machine.

    Tom
    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
    > choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    Everything
    > is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    >
    > Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    >
    > Thanks, -Pat

    Agree Tom. A fine unit if they are not gaming. My wife loves hers and for
    the odd time that I use it, am still satisfied that it is a nice little low
    priced system. But I still would not give up the 4600 which handles all of
    the games that I throw at it.

    Regards,
    John O.

    > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    > machine.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    >> A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
    >> choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    > Everything
    >> is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    >>
    >> Thanks, -Pat

    My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot and
    on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware problems.
    The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost that
    much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where you
    have to worry about such stuff.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Pat

    > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    > machine.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
    > > choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    > Everything
    > > is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    > >
    > > Thanks, -Pat

    nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan that
    is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying new...
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot
    and
    > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
    problems.
    > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost that
    > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where
    you
    > have to worry about such stuff.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Pat

    > > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
    this
    > > > choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
    > > Everything
    > > > is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, -Pat

    The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace it.
    So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start with.

    > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan that
    > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying new...
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448
    >
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot
    > and
    > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
    > problems.
    > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
    that
    > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where
    > you
    > > have to worry about such stuff.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >

    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    > > > machine.
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > this
    > > > Everything

    If you find a computer that "avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware
    protection to start with" please let us know. For that matter, please let
    the government know.

    Rocky

    > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
    it.
    > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    with.

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
    that
    > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    new...

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a
    lot
    > > and
    > > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
    > > problems.
    > > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
    > that
    > > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
    where
    > > you
    > > > have to worry about such stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > >
    > > > Pat
    > > >

    > > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    > > this

    They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
    any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
    vulnerable in one way or another.

    --
    Steve Williams

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
    replace it.
    > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    with.

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or
    trojan that
    > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    new...

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web
    a lot
    > > and
    > > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
    > > problems.
    > > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't
    cost
    > that
    > > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
    where
    > > you
    > > > have to worry about such stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > >
    > > > Pat
    > > >

    > > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    > > this

    apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
    the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of popularity).
    good luck.

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
    it.
    > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    with.

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
    that
    > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    new...

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a
    lot
    > > and
    > > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
    > > problems.
    > > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
    > that
    > > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
    where
    > > you
    > > > have to worry about such stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > >
    > > > Pat
    > > >

    > > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    > > this

    And don't forget that virus writers are starting to target the Mac. It's
    not free from them; they are just so uncommon they were not worth writing
    viruses for.

    Now they are.

    Tom
    > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
    > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
    popularity).
    > good luck.
    >
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
    > it.
    > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > with.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
    > that
    > > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    > new...
    > > >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448
    > > >
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > lot
    > > > and
    > > > problems.
    > > that
    > where
    > > > you

    > inexpensive

    > rethinking
    > > > this

    Believe it or not there are no known viruses for OS-X (so I've been told).
    My understanding is that most people who have Macs don't use AV software. I
    couldn't believe this at first, as no one with a Windows PC would ever dare
    that. But I've heard it enough that I think it's probably true.

    Since most people with Macs don't use IE for web browsing (they use Safari
    or Mozilla Firefox) and since the browser doesn't sit on top of Windows,
    danagers from spyware are also a lot less. A lot of IE's vulnerability is
    due to its tight integration with Windows. Whether this allows one to avoid
    anti-spyware, probably depends on the individual (how confident they are in
    the "inherent" security of the system). But I suspect as with AV software,
    a lot of people probably opt not to use this either.

    BTW, none of this is an indictment of Dell computers. I have two (a
    Dimension 8100 and 8200) and both have been good, reliable computers. Its
    really just the unfortanate reality of todays internet environment. If I
    try to look at things objectively, if someone just wants to web surf, email,
    and do occasional word procession, a Mac seems a safer (more secure and
    trouble-free) choice. Just my opinion though.

    -Pat

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > If you find a computer that "avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware
    > protection to start with" please let us know. For that matter, please let
    > the government know.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
    > it.
    > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > with.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
    > that
    > > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    > new...
    > > >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448
    > > >
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > lot
    > > > and
    > > > problems.
    > > that
    > where
    > > > you

    > inexpensive

    > rethinking
    > > > this

    They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
    exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
    (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
    regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it avoids
    security headaches later.

    > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
    > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
    popularity).
    > good luck.
    >
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
    > it.
    > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > with.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
    > that
    > > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    > new...
    > > >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448
    > > >
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > lot
    > > > and
    > > > problems.
    > > that
    > where
    > > > you

    > inexpensive

    > rethinking
    > > > this

    But it doesn't. There are already Mac viruses.

    > They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
    > exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
    > (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
    > regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it
    avoids
    > security headaches later.
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost
    of
    > > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
    > popularity).
    > > good luck.
    > >
    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
    replace
    > > it.
    > > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > > with.
    > > >

    > > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > that
    > > new...

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > lot
    > cost
    > > > that
    > > where

    > > inexpensive

    > > rethinking

    Pat <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote:
    > Believe it or not there are no known viruses for OS-X (so I've been told).
    > My understanding is that most people who have Macs don't use AV software. I
    > couldn't believe this at first, as no one with a Windows PC would ever dare
    > that. But I've heard it enough that I think it's probably true.

    You should search for "Apple" at www.cert.org.

    I think you're making a sound decision. Teacher + Mac = Bliss. But OSX
    is not the hardened super OS model security citizen. It carries all the
    warts of its opensource genes. I reluctantly agree with you about the
    virus risks.

    By the way, have a coffee cup ready when applying patches. And when you
    buy, bump the memory up.... WAY UP. 512 at least.

    Interesting because one of the reasons I opted for the 8300 over the 4600
    was gaming. I agree for some one who is just interested in cruising the
    Internet, doing e-mail, or non-gaming use, the 2400 is a great machine.

    Chipperdad

    "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > Agree Tom. A fine unit if they are not gaming. My wife loves hers and for
    > the odd time that I use it, am still satisfied that it is a nice little
    low
    > priced system. But I still would not give up the 4600 which handles all of
    > the games that I throw at it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.

    > > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > Tom

    Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
    latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.

    Pat

    > But it doesn't. There are already Mac viruses.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
    > > exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
    > > (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
    > > regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it
    > avoids
    > > security headaches later.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost
    > of
    > > > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
    > > popularity).
    > > > good luck.
    > > >
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > replace
    > > > it.
    > > > with.

    > trojan
    > > > that
    > > > new...
    > > > > >

    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > > lot
    > > cost
    > > > where

    > > > inexpensive

    > > > rethinking
    > refund.

    Some people have it (there's an AV product that ships with OS-X) but mainly
    to prevent the spread of this stuff.

    And there are some Mac users who don't using anything (so I'm told) and
    claim to have never encountered any problems as a result.

    Regardless, viruses and malware are clearly a much smaller issue on a Mac
    than with a PC.

    Pat

    "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
    > They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
    > any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
    > vulnerable in one way or another.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Williams
    >

    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
    > replace it.
    > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > with.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or
    > trojan that
    > > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
    > > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
    > > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
    > > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
    > new...
    > > >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448
    > > >
    > > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > a lot
    > > > and
    > > > problems.
    > cost
    > > that
    > where
    > > > you

    > inexpensive

    > rethinking
    > > > this
    > refund.

    Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
    malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.

    Rocky

    > Some people have it (there's an AV product that ships with OS-X) but
    mainly
    > to prevent the spread of this stuff.
    >
    > And there are some Mac users who don't using anything (so I'm told) and
    > claim to have never encountered any problems as a result.
    >
    > Regardless, viruses and malware are clearly a much smaller issue on a Mac
    > than with a PC.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
    > > They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
    > > any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
    > > vulnerable in one way or another.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Steve Williams
    > >

    > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
    > > replace it.
    > > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
    > > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
    > > with.
    > > >

    > > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > trojan that
    > > new...

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpname=ms_vso&cid=8448

    > > a lot
    > > cost
    > > > that
    > > where

    > > inexpensive

    > > rethinking
    > > refund.

    > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with integrated
    monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
    worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of their
    printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a osx
    printer).

    ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which were
    not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
    difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...

    > be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with integrated
    > monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
    > worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of their
    > printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a osx
    > printer).
    >
    > ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which
    > were
    > not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
    > difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...

    <snip>

    ......and how about that software compatibility thing? Woo-hoo! Be sure to
    read and purchase only Mac versions of the softwares you know and love - if
    they're even available.

    > Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
    > malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.

    Unfortunately, I have already learned the hard way! I recently picked up a
    CoolWebSearch trogan which neither Ad-aware or Spybot S&D could remove.
    After two days of digging into it I finally was able to manually remove it.
    It was a real pain though. Admittedly, my security setting on IE were too
    low (still at the default values) so I had really set myseft up for that. I
    have since switch to Mozilla Firefox (very nice browser) and so far havn't
    encountered any another problems.

    I'm sure the Mac has it's vulnerabilities (especially with regard to
    spyware and such) but it appears to be to a much lesser degree (at least
    based on feedback I've received from Mac users).

    "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."

    Now there's an objective group. {;->

    Rocky

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
    > > malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.
    > >

    > Unfortunately, I have already learned the hard way! I recently picked up
    > CoolWebSearch trogan which neither Ad-aware or Spybot S&D could remove.
    > After two days of digging into it I finally was able to manually remove
    it.
    > It was a real pain though. Admittedly, my security setting on IE were too
    > low (still at the default values) so I had really set myseft up for that.
    > have since switch to Mozilla Firefox (very nice browser) and so far havn't
    > encountered any another problems.
    >
    > I'm sure the Mac has it's vulnerabilities (especially with regard to
    > spyware and such) but it appears to be to a much lesser degree (at least
    > based on feedback I've received from Mac users).

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."
    >
    > Now there's an objective group. {;->
    >
    > Rocky

    <snip>

    Oh, and we're sure as hell unbiased here :) I've got four Dells right now
    and I'm going to recommend a Compaq or Apple. Yeah....

    Stew
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    > "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."

    > Now there's an objective group. {;->

    > Rocky

    They hate Dells just as much as this group. :)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
    > latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
    >
    > Pat

    Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
    issue in OS-X.
    Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more difficult
    than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
    base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."
    >
    > Now there's an objective group. {;->

    Ya, you're right. Everyone has their biases, and I try to keep that in mind
    when considering someones response.

    But if people are having problems with malicous spyware it will usually show
    up in the newsgroups. It certainly has on the PC side. If you do a Google
    on Mac spyware though there doesn't seem to be much. And what little there
    is doesn't appear to be malicious (Realplayer?).

    http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_faq.html
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X
    (Apples
    > > latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >

    > Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
    > issue in OS-X.
    > Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more
    difficult
    > than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
    > base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!

    A security issue doesn't necessarily equate to a virus (could be hacker
    related).

    You're right, Apple is a small target and largely ignored...but that does
    make it safer.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
    >>latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
    >>
    >>Pat
    >
    > Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
    > issue in OS-X.
    > Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more difficult
    > than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
    > base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!

    I have to believe that Windows' lack of designed in security is at least
    a factor. Reading some of the holes I have gotten the impression that
    Windows was written by hackers for hackers. I've programmed mainframes
    more than 30 years and the idea of a buffer overrun giving someone
    control of your system is mind boggling.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    exactly. and it can be downright impossible to install some printers under
    the os9 emulation which renders programs that work under os9 emulation
    unable to print...

    "S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with
    integrated
    > > monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
    > > worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of
    their
    > > printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a
    osx
    > > printer).
    > >
    > > ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which
    > > were
    > > not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
    > > difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > .....and how about that software compatibility thing? Woo-hoo! Be sure
    > read and purchase only Mac versions of the softwares you know and love -
    if
    > they're even available.

  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    not 8%, less than 4% domestically and less than 3% worldwide (optimistically
    speaking)
    http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/16/marketshare 3.7% domestically 7/2004
    http://daringfireball.net/2003/07/market_share 2.3% worldwide 7/2003

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    > > Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X
    (Apples
    > > latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >

    > Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
    > issue in OS-X.
    > Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more
    difficult
    > than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
    > base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!

Dell Policy Computers Product