Can a recent Dell purchase be returned?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 19, 2004 7:05:09 AM

A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund. Everything
is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.

Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?

Thanks, -Pat
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:05:10 AM

Pat wrote:
| A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
| this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
| Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
|
| Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
|
| Thanks, -Pat

From Dell:

"Total Satisfaction Policy"

a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
date of invoice.
b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
that it is in its original packaging.
c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
initial shipping and handling).

More details at:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/poli...
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:05:10 AM

Pat wrote:
| A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
| this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
| Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
|
| Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
|
| Thanks, -Pat

From Dell:

"Total Satisfaction Policy"

a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
date of invoice.
b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
that it is in its original packaging.
c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
initial shipping and handling).

More details at:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/poli...
Related resources
July 19, 2004 7:29:02 AM

Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate it.

Pat

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
news:D 6GdnVj7QoCxo2bdRVn-oA@garden.net...
> Pat wrote:
> | A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
> | this choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
> | Everything is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
> |
> | Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
> |
> | Thanks, -Pat
>

> From Dell:
>
> "Total Satisfaction Policy"
>
> a.. You may return your new system up to 21 days from the date of
> invoice.1 Any refurbished systems can be returned up to 14 days from the
> date of invoice.
> b.. It is important that you return everything on your order, and
> that it is in its original packaging.
> c.. We will credit your account for the price of the system (minus
> initial shipping and handling).
>

> More details at:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/poli...

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:49:36 AM

Why would you bother with this NG if the situation were real?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 9:47:11 AM

Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
machine.

Tom
"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
> choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
Everything
> is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
>
> Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
>
> Thanks, -Pat

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:03:58 AM

Agree Tom. A fine unit if they are not gaming. My wife loves hers and for
the odd time that I use it, am still satisfied that it is a nice little low
priced system. But I still would not give up the 4600 which handles all of
the games that I throw at it.

Regards,
John O.

> Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
> machine.
>
> Tom
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
>> A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
>> choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
> Everything
>> is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
>>
>> Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
>>
>> Thanks, -Pat

July 19, 2004 5:32:42 PM

My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot and
on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware problems.
The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost that
much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where you
have to worry about such stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

Pat

> Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
> machine.
>
> Tom
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking this
> > choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
> Everything
> > is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
> >
> > Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
> >
> > Thanks, -Pat

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 6:03:14 PM

nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan that
is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying new...
http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot
and
> on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
problems.
> The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost that
> much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where
you
> have to worry about such stuff.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Pat

> > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
> > machine.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > A relative just purchased a new Dell 2400. They are now rethinking
this
> > > choice and were wondering if it could be returned for a refund.
> > Everything
> > > is still in the original boxes and has *not* been opened.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what Dell's policy is on this?
> > >
> > > Thanks, -Pat

July 19, 2004 6:51:08 PM

The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace it.
So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start with.

> nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan that
> is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying new...
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...
>
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a lot
> and
> > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
> problems.
> > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
that
> > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world where
> you
> > have to worry about such stuff.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Pat
> >

> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> this
> > > Everything

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 6:51:09 PM

If you find a computer that "avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware
protection to start with" please let us know. For that matter, please let
the government know.

Rocky

> The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
it.
> So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
with.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
that
> > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
new...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a
lot
> > and
> > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
> > problems.
> > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
> that
> > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
where
> > you
> > > have to worry about such stuff.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > Pat
> > >

> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > this

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 6:51:09 PM

They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
vulnerable in one way or another.

--
Steve Williams

"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
replace it.
> So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
with.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or
trojan that
> > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
new...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web
a lot
> > and
> > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
> > problems.
> > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't
cost
> that
> > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
where
> > you
> > > have to worry about such stuff.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > Pat
> > >

> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > this

July 19, 2004 7:21:42 PM

apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of popularity).
good luck.

"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
it.
> So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
with.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
that
> > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
new...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > My relatives are also considering an Apple Mac. They surf the web a
lot
> > and
> > > on their old Compaq ended up with Sasser was well as some spyware
> > problems.
> > > The Mac is a lot less susceptible to all that stuff, and doesn't cost
> that
> > > much more. It's really unfortunate though that we live in a world
where
> > you
> > > have to worry about such stuff.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > Pat
> > >

> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > this

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:21:43 PM

And don't forget that virus writers are starting to target the Mac. It's
not free from them; they are just so uncommon they were not worth writing
viruses for.

Now they are.

Tom
> apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
> the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
popularity).
> good luck.
>
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
> it.
> > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> with.
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
> that
> > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
> new...
> > >
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...
> > >
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> lot
> > > and
> > > problems.
> > that
> where
> > > you

> inexpensive

> rethinking
> > > this

July 19, 2004 8:31:05 PM

Believe it or not there are no known viruses for OS-X (so I've been told).
My understanding is that most people who have Macs don't use AV software. I
couldn't believe this at first, as no one with a Windows PC would ever dare
that. But I've heard it enough that I think it's probably true.

Since most people with Macs don't use IE for web browsing (they use Safari
or Mozilla Firefox) and since the browser doesn't sit on top of Windows,
danagers from spyware are also a lot less. A lot of IE's vulnerability is
due to its tight integration with Windows. Whether this allows one to avoid
anti-spyware, probably depends on the individual (how confident they are in
the "inherent" security of the system). But I suspect as with AV software,
a lot of people probably opt not to use this either.

BTW, none of this is an indictment of Dell computers. I have two (a
Dimension 8100 and 8200) and both have been good, reliable computers. Its
really just the unfortanate reality of todays internet environment. If I
try to look at things objectively, if someone just wants to web surf, email,
and do occasional word procession, a Mac seems a safer (more secure and
trouble-free) choice. Just my opinion though.

-Pat

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> If you find a computer that "avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware
> protection to start with" please let us know. For that matter, please let
> the government know.
>
> Rocky
>
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
> it.
> > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> with.
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
> that
> > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
> new...
> > >
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...
> > >
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> lot
> > > and
> > > problems.
> > that
> where
> > > you

> inexpensive

> rethinking
> > > this

July 19, 2004 8:40:30 PM

They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
(they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it avoids
security headaches later.

> apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost of
> the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
popularity).
> good luck.
>
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to replace
> it.
> > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> with.
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or trojan
> that
> > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
> new...
> > >
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...
> > >
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> lot
> > > and
> > > problems.
> > that
> where
> > > you

> inexpensive

> rethinking
> > > this

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 8:44:16 PM

But it doesn't. There are already Mac viruses.

> They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
> exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
> (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
> regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it
avoids
> security headaches later.
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost
of
> > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
> popularity).
> > good luck.
> >
> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
replace
> > it.
> > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> > with.
> > >

> > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > that
> > new...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > lot
> cost
> > > that
> > where

> > inexpensive

> > rethinking

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 9:51:18 PM

Pat <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote:
> Believe it or not there are no known viruses for OS-X (so I've been told).
> My understanding is that most people who have Macs don't use AV software. I
> couldn't believe this at first, as no one with a Windows PC would ever dare
> that. But I've heard it enough that I think it's probably true.

You should search for "Apple" at www.cert.org.

I think you're making a sound decision. Teacher + Mac = Bliss. But OSX
is not the hardened super OS model security citizen. It carries all the
warts of its opensource genes. I reluctantly agree with you about the
virus risks.

By the way, have a coffee cup ready when applying patches. And when you
buy, bump the memory up.... WAY UP. 512 at least.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:36:22 PM

Interesting because one of the reasons I opted for the 8300 over the 4600
was gaming. I agree for some one who is just interested in cruising the
Internet, doing e-mail, or non-gaming use, the 2400 is a great machine.

Chipperdad

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Agree Tom. A fine unit if they are not gaming. My wife loves hers and for
> the odd time that I use it, am still satisfied that it is a nice little
low
> priced system. But I still would not give up the 4600 which handles all of
> the games that I throw at it.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

> > Why return it? Unless you're a game player, it is a fine, inexpensive
> > machine.
> >
> > Tom
July 20, 2004 7:28:20 AM

Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.

Pat

news:p _idnX4V4NIEr2Hd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> But it doesn't. There are already Mac viruses.
>
> Tom
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm not
> > exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around $600
> > (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
> > regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it
> avoids
> > security headaches later.
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > apple isn't exactly nirvana and will probably run them triple the cost
> of
> > > the 2400 (which is a big part of the reason for apples lack of
> > popularity).
> > > good luck.
> > >
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> replace
> > > it.
> > > with.

> trojan
> > > that
> > > new...
> > > > >

> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > > lot
> > cost
> > > where

> > > inexpensive

> > > rethinking
> refund.

July 20, 2004 7:41:50 AM

Some people have it (there's an AV product that ships with OS-X) but mainly
to prevent the spread of this stuff.

And there are some Mac users who don't using anything (so I'm told) and
claim to have never encountered any problems as a result.

Regardless, viruses and malware are clearly a much smaller issue on a Mac
than with a PC.

Pat

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
> any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
> vulnerable in one way or another.
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>

> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
> replace it.
> > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> with.
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > nothing wrong with going mac, but if it is just a virus and/or
> trojan that
> > > is the motivation to buy new then why not try an easy fix... not the
> > > spybot/adaware/spyassassin route... but just download/install mcafee
> > > viruscan 2004 (aka 8.0) and run it... cleans up trojans that the
> > > forementioned miss! worth a try, and may save them lots vs buying
> new...
> > >
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...
> > >
> > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> a lot
> > > and
> > > problems.
> cost
> > that
> where
> > > you

> inexpensive

> rethinking
> > > this
> refund.

July 20, 2004 7:41:51 AM

Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.

Rocky

> Some people have it (there's an AV product that ships with OS-X) but
mainly
> to prevent the spread of this stuff.
>
> And there are some Mac users who don't using anything (so I'm told) and
> claim to have never encountered any problems as a result.
>
> Regardless, viruses and malware are clearly a much smaller issue on a Mac
> than with a PC.
>
> Pat
>
> "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> > They are in for a BIG surprise then if they think that Mac doesn't need
> > any spyware or AV protection. No such computer OS exists. They are all
> > vulnerable in one way or another.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Williams
> >

> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > The old computer is slow, which is the main reason they want to
> > replace it.
> > > So if you're going to replace it anyway, it's reasonable to consider a
> > > system that avoids needing the AV and anti-spyware protection to start
> > with.
> > >

> > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > trojan that
> > new...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> > a lot
> > cost
> > > that
> > where

> > inexpensive

> > rethinking
> > refund.

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:27:36 PM

be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with integrated
monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of their
printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a osx
printer).

ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which were
not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...

"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
news:o j0Lc.102101$WX.17429@attbi_s51...
> Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
> latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
>
> Pat

> news:p _idnX4V4NIEr2Hd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> > But it doesn't. There are already Mac viruses.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> > > They can get an eMac for $750 (educational discount - teacher). I'm
not
> > > exactly sure what they paid for the Dell, but I think is was around
$600
> > > (they added extra memory and cd writer; maybe a modem also). But
> > > regardless, the difference really is not that great, especially if it
> > avoids
> > > security headaches later.
> > >

> > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > of
> > > popularity).

> > replace
> start

> > trojan
> the
> mcafee

http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/default.asp?lpna...

> web
> spyware
> > > cost
> world

> > refund.

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:27:37 PM

> be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with integrated
> monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
> worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of their
> printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a osx
> printer).
>
> ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which
> were
> not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
> difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...

<snip>

......and how about that software compatibility thing? Woo-hoo! Be sure to
read and purchase only Mac versions of the softwares you know and love - if
they're even available.
July 20, 2004 6:35:38 PM

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
news:o %0Lc.41761$5Y.40222@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
> malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.

Unfortunately, I have already learned the hard way! I recently picked up a
CoolWebSearch trogan which neither Ad-aware or Spybot S&D could remove.
After two days of digging into it I finally was able to manually remove it.
It was a real pain though. Admittedly, my security setting on IE were too
low (still at the default values) so I had really set myseft up for that. I
have since switch to Mozilla Firefox (very nice browser) and so far havn't
encountered any another problems.

I'm sure the Mac has it's vulnerabilities (especially with regard to
spyware and such) but it appears to be to a much lesser degree (at least
based on feedback I've received from Mac users).
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:35:39 PM

"...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."

Now there's an objective group. {;->

Rocky

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> news:o %0Lc.41761$5Y.40222@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> > Pat, I'm sure you're a fine person and mean well, but on the subject of
> > malware, you have much to learn. Don't learn it the hard way.
> >

> Unfortunately, I have already learned the hard way! I recently picked up
> CoolWebSearch trogan which neither Ad-aware or Spybot S&D could remove.
> After two days of digging into it I finally was able to manually remove
it.
> It was a real pain though. Admittedly, my security setting on IE were too
> low (still at the default values) so I had really set myseft up for that.
> have since switch to Mozilla Firefox (very nice browser) and so far havn't
> encountered any another problems.
>
> I'm sure the Mac has it's vulnerabilities (especially with regard to
> spyware and such) but it appears to be to a much lesser degree (at least
> based on feedback I've received from Mac users).

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:35:40 PM

> "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."
>
> Now there's an objective group. {;->
>
> Rocky

<snip>

Oh, and we're sure as hell unbiased here :)  I've got four Dells right now
and I'm going to recommend a Compaq or Apple. Yeah....

Stew
July 20, 2004 8:52:05 PM

Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
> "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."

> Now there's an objective group. {;->

> Rocky

They hate Dells just as much as this group. :)
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:43:57 PM

"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
news:o j0Lc.102101$WX.17429@attbi_s51...
> Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
> latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
>
> Pat

Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
issue in OS-X.
Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more difficult
than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!
July 20, 2004 10:42:34 PM

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> "...based on feedback I've received from Mac users..."
>
> Now there's an objective group. {;->

Ya, you're right. Everyone has their biases, and I try to keep that in mind
when considering someones response.

But if people are having problems with malicous spyware it will usually show
up in the newsgroups. It certainly has on the PC side. If you do a Google
on Mac spyware though there doesn't seem to be much. And what little there
is doesn't appear to be malicious (Realplayer?).

http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_faq.html
July 21, 2004 5:51:56 AM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> news:o j0Lc.102101$WX.17429@attbi_s51...
> > Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X
(Apples
> > latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
> >
> > Pat
> >

> Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
> issue in OS-X.
> Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more
difficult
> than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
> base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!

A security issue doesn't necessarily equate to a virus (could be hacker
related).

You're right, Apple is a small target and largely ignored...but that does
make it safer.
July 21, 2004 9:04:00 AM

PC Medic wrote:
> "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
> news:o j0Lc.102101$WX.17429@attbi_s51...
>
>>Somewhere I read that there have been no reported viruses for OS X (Apples
>>latest OS). However, there are some for some of the older Apple OS's.
>>
>>Pat
>
> Must have been a while ago. Apple just released a patch to fix a security
> issue in OS-X.
> Fact is any OS is susceptible to attack though some may prove more difficult
> than others. The reason more go after MS OS's is a greatly due to install
> base. You do not disrupt much going after 8% of the install base!

I have to believe that Windows' lack of designed in security is at least
a factor. Reading some of the holes I have gotten the impression that
Windows was written by hackers for hackers. I've programmed mainframes
more than 30 years and the idea of a buffer overrun giving someone
control of your system is mind boggling.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 11:52:41 AM

exactly. and it can be downright impossible to install some printers under
the os9 emulation which renders programs that work under os9 emulation
unable to print...

"S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > be sure to get them applecare (expensive but for a system with
integrated
> > monitor that is not a user replaceable item if it goes then you have a
> > worthless large box on your desk). also, check the compatibility of
their
> > printer (many are not supported by osx, certainly has to at least be a
osx
> > printer).
> >
> > ps, not even addressing the configuration/performance differences which
> > were
> > not stated, the dollar difference may not be great, but percentage
> > difference even with their educational discount is a fat 25%...
> >

> <snip>
>
> .....and how about that software compatibility thing? Woo-hoo! Be sure
> read and purchase only Mac versions of the softwares you know and love -
if
> they're even available.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:01:07 PM

not 8%, less than 4% domestically and less than 3% worldwide (optimistically
speaking)
http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/16/marketshare 3.7% domestically 7/2004
http://daringfireball.net/2003/07/market_share 2.3% worldwide 7/2003

!