Thermal goop already on CPU?

twistedjester

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
I'm putting a PC together for the first time and for the CPU I bought a retail AMD 64 3200+. I was looking over the heatsink fan combo that came with it an there appeared to be a pad of something on the bottom of the heatsink. Is this some kind of thermal compound? If so would I be better wiping it off and using something like Dynex instead as a thermal compound? Or is it just some kind of protective pad to keep any dust from collecting on it during storage/shipping?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The gummy stuff is thermal paste. It's just a thicker version that's heat sensitive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Wingy's brand PU goop is really something, I hear... but it is limited quantity and special order...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

twistedjester

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
So I can just attach the heatsink without any thermal grease? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I really do not want to throw $200 away.

RichPLS

Champion
NO, defiantly use Wingy's Goo!

<pre> or at least Artic Silver 5 </pre><p>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can attach it using just the gummy stuff on the bottom of the sink, so long as you haven't scraped it off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>