My motherboard on my Acer Aspire 5920G just gave up the ghost, well I accidentally killed it...
Anyway, it was 5 years old and it was about time for a new one, so there's no use in crying over spilled milk, or spilled water in my case.
I always thought my next notebook would be an Asus or another Acer. I would have never considered an HP until I saw a fairly stunning review of the HP Envy 14. As much as I like Acer, I feel that they put some really nice hardware to sell the product, but they cut corners in some places. HP has too much bloatware and unnecessary brick-brack. I'd still get an Asus, if I didn't mind the price too much. As I browsed some of the topics and tried to find my own answers, I stumbled upon recommendations for Sager. I love the fact they don't have any bloatware.
Without further ado:
1. What is your budget? Under $1800, the cheaper the better.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Higher is better, but this is really a non-issue for me.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'd love to still use a desktop, but in college there isn't much use for one, because I'm constantly travelling from place to place.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Any is fine. I'm used to having my laptop plugged up all the time.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd love to be able to play Starcraft II at the highest setting, on a scale from 1 to 10 of importance, this would be a 7/10. All other games I play will be fine.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Just music, some photo editing, and video but nothing major.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Anything these days will beat the 80GB HDD I had on my old Acer. I also use a 500GB external drive.
It'd be great to get an SSD, but the price is still too high.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg. There was one site that was doing some custom Asus laptops, but I forgot the URL
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years is ideal.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
As mentioned, I'm partial to Acers or Asus. I think a Sager would be a good choice as well.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd like to have atleast 6GB of RAM, preferably 8GB. It would be great if it can be upgraded to 16GB at some point. As for a processor, I'm still confused on what kind would be better, so maybe you guys could help me a little there. It looks like an i5 or i7 would be nice, but I couldn't expound on anything.
Here's the specs of the ideal Sager that I customized on the site:
Display 15.6" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory
CPU Processor Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor ( 32nm, 4MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz / 3.33GHz Turbo Mode ) [$190.00]
Thermal Compound IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$40.00]
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 4GB [$160.00]
Primary Hard Disk Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 4GB SSD [$120.00]
Optical Drive 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module [$35.00]
Bluetooth Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
Primary Battery Smart Li-Polymer Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office New! Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Came out to 1844.00
This is the Asus I'd like from powernotebooks.com:
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) LED backlit Widescreen LCD