Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

dell resource cd, Dell Dimension Destop box.

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 19, 2004 10:33:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

As is usually the case.....they bring it to me.....

A co-worker was given the use of an old system to take home and use.
It was formerly on the network at the office, and will now be using the
modem.

When I try to get the modem set up, I'm getting an error (yellow exclamation
point) on the PCI Simple Communications Control in the Device Manager. I
suspect this is the driver that tells the Intel chip how the serial port and PCI
slot to talk to each other. The problem is, the Resource CD is no where to be
found and hours at the Dell website has not produced this driver file package.

Is there any other way to get this package? It's been a week trying to get this
employee setup to use this computer.

On another note, can I simply use an external modem in place of the internal
and bypass this nightmare?

Thanks,
Hank
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:48:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That's actually the modem itself, not a motherboard driver. You just need
the modem driver, which should be on the website.

Tom
"Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
news:TWJKc.579$dM2.501@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> As is usually the case.....they bring it to me.....
>
> A co-worker was given the use of an old system to take home and use.
> It was formerly on the network at the office, and will now be using the
> modem.
>
> When I try to get the modem set up, I'm getting an error (yellow
exclamation
> point) on the PCI Simple Communications Control in the Device Manager. I
> suspect this is the driver that tells the Intel chip how the serial port
and PCI
> slot to talk to each other. The problem is, the Resource CD is no where to
be
> found and hours at the Dell website has not produced this driver file
package.
>
> Is there any other way to get this package? It's been a week trying to get
this
> employee setup to use this computer.
>
> On another note, can I simply use an external modem in place of the
internal
> and bypass this nightmare?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank
>
>
July 19, 2004 10:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's not in the modem driver package on the site. Tried that many times.

Info on the site now says use the resource CD to install the PCI Simple
Communications Control.

I guess I need the CD but don't know where to get it.

> That's actually the modem itself, not a motherboard driver. You just need
> the modem driver, which should be on the website.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 1:15:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
news:7jUKc.2485$lD1.206@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com...
> It's not in the modem driver package on the site. Tried that many times.
>
> Info on the site now says use the resource CD to install the PCI Simple
> Communications Control.
>
> I guess I need the CD but don't know where to get it.
>

<snip>


Tom is right. The device is your modem.

You don't mention the name/model number of the Dell system, or the OS it has
installed. That information would help.

Modem drivers won't be on the Resource CD. They'll only be up on the Dell
website or somewhere else for download on the web....


Stew
!