Installing MN-700 and MN-720 on laptop - wireless versus e..

I just purchased MN-700 and MN-720 (haven't installed it
yet)in order to provide my mom with a wireless internet
connection. She only has the laptop (no other computer
will be connected to the base station) and I'm wondering
the best way to set up the base station. Can I initially
connect the laptop (Windows XP SP-2) to the base station
via an ethernet connection so that it automatically sets
up the base station and the internet connection (cable)
and then remove the ethernet cable from the laptop after
it is set up and install the MN-720 wireless adapter? Or
do I have to set up the base station manually with the
wireless adapter installed in the laptop from the start?
I would like to make this as simple as possible.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about installing laptop wireless versus

    I'd recommend configuring the MN-700 with the wired connection. Then
    after removing the physical connection install the wireless card &
    configure it.

    Mark wrote:

    > I just purchased MN-700 and MN-720 (haven't installed it
    > yet)in order to provide my mom with a wireless internet
    > connection. She only has the laptop (no other computer
    > will be connected to the base station) and I'm wondering
    > the best way to set up the base station. Can I initially
    > connect the laptop (Windows XP SP-2) to the base station
    > via an ethernet connection so that it automatically sets
    > up the base station and the internet connection (cable)
    > and then remove the ethernet cable from the laptop after
    > it is set up and install the MN-720 wireless adapter? Or
    > do I have to set up the base station manually with the
    > wireless adapter installed in the laptop from the start?
    > I would like to make this as simple as possible.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thanks Joker. Should I also assume, having seen your
    software that came with MN-700 at all but rather should
    use Wireless Networking Setup Wizard through Win XP SP2?

    Thanks again for your help!

    You should never use the BNU to configure wireless connections on
    computers running any OS other then the following Windows 98, Windows 98
    SE, Windows 2000, & Windows ME. All other OS's are either not supported
    (Windows 95, Windows NT, & Windows 2003) or have full wireless support
    (Windows XP).

    mARK wrote:

    > Thanks Joker. Should I also assume, having seen your
    > software that came with MN-700 at all but rather should
    > use Wireless Networking Setup Wizard through Win XP SP2?
    >
    > Thanks again for your help!

    Thanks. Does that include setting up the base station
    for the first time using the ethernet cable since I am
    going to change that laptop to a wireless connection as
    soon as the base station is configured?

    That is the only Time I suggest using a wired connection. you can
    configure the MN-500 & MN-700 via wireless, but it is a pain because
    once you enable WEP or WPA on the router you can no longer connect to it
    via wireless until you enable it on the wireless computer as well.

    Mark wrote:
    > Thanks. Does that include setting up the base station
    > for the first time using the ethernet cable since I am
    > going to change that laptop to a wireless connection as
    > soon as the base station is configured?

    assistance.

    time.

    Thanks Joker.

    So here are the steps I'll follow -

    1) Configure MN-700 via an ethernet cable from the laptop
    using the software supplied with the base station as per
    the instructions that come with the base station.

    2) Remove the ethernet cable, uninstall BNU and set up MN-
    720 in the same laptop using the Wireless Network Setup
    Wizard in SP2.

    Thanks again!
    Mark

    you directly for
    >assistance.
    >
    >If your question is worth asking, it's worth posting.
    >
    >If it's not worth posting you should have done a search
    on
    >http://www.google.com/ http://www.google.com/grphp?
    hl=en&tab=wg&q= or
    >http://news.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=nf&ned=us&q=