JM magnet problems

Hi Guys

Need help.
Seem to have an intermittent problem with the magnet catching the ball
in the hand on my Johnny Mnemonic.Sometimes all is well and other times
the vuk kicks ball up,magnet holds for a half second to a second then
releases when it should have carried it to the matrix.
An error report on start comes up with "F5 ball in hand"
Anyone know what may be the problem and what i should look for.
I've just received new opto's for the vuk which occasionally activates
when the ball isn't there,which i'll be fitting soon.I hope this will
fix that problem.

Any ideas welcomed guys.

Cheers
Simon

Simon,

Go to switch matrix test and check status of F5 switch (this is the
magnet ball in hand). It is on the far right, fifth one from the top
and normally should be open. Hold a ball against the magnet and it
should go closed. If not this switch needs adjusting. Write back and
I can go into details from the manual addendum on how to do that.

Eric

gilly wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Need help.
> Seem to have an intermittent problem with the magnet catching the ball
> in the hand on my Johnny Mnemonic.Sometimes all is well and other times
> the vuk kicks ball up,magnet holds for a half second to a second then
> releases when it should have carried it to the matrix.
> An error report on start comes up with "F5 ball in hand"
> Anyone know what may be the problem and what i should look for.
> I've just received new opto's for the vuk which occasionally activates
> when the ball isn't there,which i'll be fitting soon.I hope this will
> fix that problem.
>
> Any ideas welcomed guys.
>
> Cheers
> Simon

Thankyou Eric,only i'll have to try a little later as i have to go but
will post back late.Thats very kind of you.

Regards
Simon

That doesn't really tell you if it's not working right in real life.
The recommended test is to remove the magnet from the hand, turn it
upside down, go into switch test mode, drop a ball in and move the
magnet in a slight circular fashion to get the ball rolling around
inside the well. If the switch stays closed the WHOLE TIME this is
going on, yet is open when the ball isn't in the well, it's adjusted
right.

Mad amusements sells the replacement switch for the hand.

On 20 Sep 2005 15:22:51 -0700, espiller@columbus.rr.com wrote:

>Simon,
>
>Go to switch matrix test and check status of F5 switch (this is the
>magnet ball in hand). It is on the far right, fifth one from the top
>and normally should be open. Hold a ball against the magnet and it
>should go closed. If not this switch needs adjusting. Write back and
>I can go into details from the manual addendum on how to do that.
>
>Eric
>

>gilly wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> Need help.
>> Seem to have an intermittent problem with the magnet catching the ball
>> in the hand on my Johnny Mnemonic.Sometimes all is well and other times
>> the vuk kicks ball up,magnet holds for a half second to a second then
>> releases when it should have carried it to the matrix.
>> An error report on start comes up with "F5 ball in hand"
>> Anyone know what may be the problem and what i should look for.
>> I've just received new opto's for the vuk which occasionally activates
>> when the ball isn't there,which i'll be fitting soon.I hope this will
>> fix that problem.
>>
>> Any ideas welcomed guys.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon

Vic- you're right, the remove and check it upside down is more correct.
My suggestion was more quick and dirty, total failure check.

Simon- you may also want to check continuity of the wires to the
switch(white-green/black-violet) since they may have been pinched or
internally broken.

Vic Ireland wrote:
> That doesn't really tell you if it's not working right in real life.
> The recommended test is to remove the magnet from the hand, turn it
> upside down, go into switch test mode, drop a ball in and move the
> magnet in a slight circular fashion to get the ball rolling around
> inside the well. If the switch stays closed the WHOLE TIME this is
> going on, yet is open when the ball isn't in the well, it's adjusted
> right.
>
> Mad amusements sells the replacement switch for the hand.
>
> On 20 Sep 2005 15:22:51 -0700, espiller@columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
> >Simon,
> >
> >Go to switch matrix test and check status of F5 switch (this is the
> >magnet ball in hand). It is on the far right, fifth one from the top
> >and normally should be open. Hold a ball against the magnet and it
> >should go closed. If not this switch needs adjusting. Write back and
> >I can go into details from the manual addendum on how to do that.
> >
> >Eric
> >

> >gilly wrote:
> >> Hi Guys
> >>
> >> Need help.
> >> Seem to have an intermittent problem with the magnet catching the ball
> >> in the hand on my Johnny Mnemonic.Sometimes all is well and other times
> >> the vuk kicks ball up,magnet holds for a half second to a second then
> >> releases when it should have carried it to the matrix.
> >> An error report on start comes up with "F5 ball in hand"
> >> Anyone know what may be the problem and what i should look for.
> >> I've just received new opto's for the vuk which occasionally activates
> >> when the ball isn't there,which i'll be fitting soon.I hope this will
> >> fix that problem.
> >>
> >> Any ideas welcomed guys.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Simon

Thanks again.Have taken a look.The switch was open and closed with the
ball inside the magnet,although it seemed like i had to force the ball
up to close the switch.There was a piece of sponge between the switch
and the top of the switch looked like it had been glue welded to the
top of the magnet.Is this normal?
The hand worked fine for a game then i turned it off,then on again and
a bigger warning came up with "ball in hand" switch stuck closed.I
tried another game and all seemed well,very strange but I think i'll
buy a new switch anyway.I dont have a manual.Can anyone tell me what
switch it is please.

Cheers guys

Simon

Simon,

Looks like Hand switch assembly A-20612. Tried looking it up at Mad
Amusements site as Vic mentioned but site appears temporarily down.

Eric

gilly wrote:
> Thanks again.Have taken a look.The switch was open and closed with the
> ball inside the magnet,although it seemed like i had to force the ball
> up to close the switch.There was a piece of sponge between the switch
> and the top of the switch looked like it had been glue welded to the
> top of the magnet.Is this normal?
> The hand worked fine for a game then i turned it off,then on again and
> a bigger warning came up with "ball in hand" switch stuck closed.I
> tried another game and all seemed well,very strange but I think i'll
> buy a new switch anyway.I dont have a manual.Can anyone tell me what
> switch it is please.
>
> Cheers guys
>
> Simon

TRENDING THREADS