Tech: Stern boot probs

Okay so here goes:
GOt a f2k basically for free. I took a lot of time fixin the mpu on a
bench (had led stuck on) when finally i got all 7 blinks. Meanwhile
repainted the pf. I assembled the game and turned it on. with the burn
in setting (all dips off).
Displays are missiing segments but not the same ones also some segments
are "flivkering" any idea on this?(i don't think that all the glasses
would be total duds)(finaly found the ground strap torn and conencted
it but it didn't fix anything....)
Also at first sound and speech were okay (yeah vsu-100 worin baby.. :)
After i turned it off i noticed that the ribbon cable cto the sound
board had one line torn so i removed it and when i moved it almost
literally the connector fell off. Now since i can't get my hands on
another one temporary soldered the lines to the mpu header pins and now
all the sound is distorted like hell. Also after a few switch on/offs
now the mpu won't boot 6th flash missing. Could the booting stop
because of a bad ribbon cable? or if that would be the case would the
led be locked on?
The lamp matrix is completely dud no lights other than GI work any
ideas on this ? dont think all scrs are dead and all fuses check out.
I don't even dare talk about switch matrix isses.
Prob is with borked displays i can't even tell if the game is in
attract mode or whatever...
(btw marvin3m.com/fix doesn't have anything on this kinda funky display
behaviour)

Forgot to mention the mpu has a habit for pointing at the PIA ics as
faulty while they work perfect in my BK.

Thanks

Check the display header pins for cracks, also check the 100k ohm
resistors on each display for open or out of spec... Take the
sound/speech board out of the picture tell you get the game playing
right. then deal with that again.

zTim

EdHunTer<eddietheremovethised@walla.com> wrote:

> The lamp matrix is completely dud no lights other than GI work any
> ideas on this ? dont think all scrs are dead and all fuses check out.

I just had this same problem on my Seawitch. Be sure to check and see
that you are getting 6.5v at the lamps. If you are getting voltage to
the lamps, check the lamp driver board for any corrosion. I had acid
from the battery on the MPU board drip down on the back of the lamp
driver board. I did not notice anything on the front of the board, but
when I took the board off to inspect it, there was acid covering the
back half of the lamp driver board. The acid basically ruined the
whole board. I replaced it with a Bally equivalent and all the feature
lights are good now.

Brian Bannon

If the ribbon cable to the sound board is installed
incorrectly, all manner of problems can ensue.

Soldering the leads to the board is not acceptable...

Make sure all the balls are in the outhole.

--
Fred
TX

"EdHunTer<eddietheremovethised@walla.com>" <eddietheed@walla.com> wrote

> Also at first sound and speech were okay (yeah vsu-100 worin baby.. :)
> After i turned it off i noticed that the ribbon cable cto the sound
> board had one line torn so i removed it and when i moved it almost
> literally the connector fell off. Now since i can't get my hands on
> another one temporary soldered the lines to the mpu header pins and now
> all the sound is distorted like hell. Also after a few switch on/offs
> now the mpu won't boot 6th flash missing. Could the booting stop
> because of a bad ribbon cable? or if that would be the case would the
> led be locked on?

TRENDING THREADS