Sign in with
Your question

My case shocks me

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2005 9:46:55 PM

I just finished putting together my computer, but when I touched it with the power cable connected it shocked me (lightly).

It turns on and runs perfectly, as far as I can tell.I haven't installed windows yet.

Can someone tell me the things I should check about the shocking?

More about : case shocks

July 5, 2005 9:51:45 PM

If I weren't scared of having it on and it killing me I wouldn't even care. But I'm afraid the shock would be worse while it's on. I don't know.
July 5, 2005 9:52:09 PM

Stop rubbing your feet against the carpet.
Related resources
July 5, 2005 9:55:39 PM

Not that kind of shock. like if I touch it I can feel the electricity coming from it. I've been sitting on a cement floor and grounding myself a bunch.
July 5, 2005 9:55:44 PM

Shocking, it is that fugly?

You must not have it properly grounded, or outlet is not a grounded outlet.
Need to correct this ASAP

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 5, 2005 9:57:32 PM

Something may be shorting, check if you installed all the mobo spacers in the right locations.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>
July 5, 2005 9:59:10 PM

Yeah, I would put money on Rich being right with the outlet not being grounded. You could do a quick check on the outlet, just remove the cover and see if all the wires are connected, then go to the breaker box and see if all the wires are tightened into a breaker, and that the ground is grounded. I would try plugging it into another socket if all else fails. If that still doesn't work then it could be that the PSU has a faulty ground connection itself, which would require a replacement.
July 5, 2005 10:07:07 PM

But if the case has been good why should it be grounded? :smile:

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>
July 5, 2005 10:13:57 PM

lol.
thanks I'll look into it.
July 5, 2005 10:14:21 PM

Don't listen to the above losers, RISK IT! :tongue:

July 5, 2005 10:15:56 PM

Pee in the outlet, to see if you have ground fault breakers.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 5, 2005 10:34:01 PM

If I found an alternative method of properly grounding the case, could I just ignore it? Like maybe... putting one of those bracelets that plugs into a grounding diller. and putting it on my case? lol

I don't know. This is all just ridiculous to me. I'm surprised I even got the thing together.
July 5, 2005 10:36:16 PM

Really, you need to resolve this asap.
Is not good at all, and could get worse, depending on the cause.
Troubleshoot, first determine if it is outlet or PC. Then work from there.

July 5, 2005 10:41:10 PM

What we are trying to say is that we are not so concerned about your welfare as we are about the welfare of the hardware... just kidding, you could temporarily ground the case so that it isn't shocking you... but you really should fix this you wouldn't want any random surges running through your rig right before that big presentation you have for the board on thursday... you don't want to lose all that performance and production data do you?? Very bad...
July 5, 2005 10:45:32 PM

thanks everyone. after several socket switches, it doesn't seem to be jittering me anymore.

I'm also 6vx, so I had the fan problem earlier, but forgot my password since it was in RoboForm or whatever.

Anyway, you all made it really easy for me, and windows is almost done installing. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.
July 5, 2005 10:48:07 PM

Your fugly case still shocks me...

July 5, 2005 10:52:04 PM

Just get a very easy password, who cares if someone hacks your THGC account.

July 6, 2005 12:16:22 AM

Call an electrician. THe people that made your house did a bad job.
July 6, 2005 12:43:43 AM

Quick check for proper ground:
Set the case (plugged in) up on the edge of your bathtub. Now fill it with water and get in. Touch the case. Describe your sensations. :lol: 

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
July 6, 2005 2:29:38 AM

What seems most likely to have been happening is that your receptacles have lost the ground connection in the "daisy chain" For a few bucks, you can get a plug-in device to test. Once you have identified all the bad outlets, turn off power, and try to find where the bare copper wire is not properly connected.
BTW, your system uses the "bonding conductor" (correct name for the ground wire) as 0vdc reference. If it aint there, your components would not see a proper voltage, so your system may get damaged.
July 6, 2005 3:50:04 AM

Rich is correct about your outlet needing to be grounded properly. Your wiring is not correct and may cause you problems that are far worse than losing your system. Do you live in an older home and do the light switches also turn the power to the electrical outlets on and off?

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8..." target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs
!