Dimension 4100 -- Can't Boot from CD

I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
something?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
13 answers Last reply
More about dimension 4100 boot

    Hello,

    If you want to upgrade to Windows XP, we suggest using the Windows XP
    boot floppys if you are having CD Rom boot problems.

    You can e-mail us for a link to the boot floppys.

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com
    "Ryan" <rfrenz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
    > Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
    > from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
    > different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
    > I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
    > ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
    > this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
    > something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ryan

    Is the CD-ROM drive jumpered for master?

    "Ryan" <rfrenz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
    > Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
    > from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
    > different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
    > I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
    > ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
    > this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
    > something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ryan

    Hope not. Shouldn't it be Cable Select?
    > Is the CD-ROM drive jumpered for master?
    >
    > "Ryan" <rfrenz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
    > > Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
    > > from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
    > > different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
    > > I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
    > > ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
    > > this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
    > > something?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Ryan

    Coincidentally I had to replace the HD of a P3 1Ghz Dimension 4100 yesterday.
    After installing the physical replacement HD, I entered Setup, changed the CD
    (more precisely the DVD) drive to second in boot order. I really only moved it
    ahead of the hard-drive, but let the Floppy stay as one. I never looked at
    jumpers, or the master/slave selection, so perhaps I was just lucky, but my PC
    booted from the Dell supplied Windows XP Upgrade CD no problem.

    FWIW, this situation was discussed in a different thread, and there were
    conflicting opinions on whether I would need to present the original WindowsMe
    CD to the install process. I did.

    You should certainly be able to boot from an install CD.
    Jere

    Hi Ryan,
    One thing I ran into recently might help. On some machines when the bios is
    set to CDROM as first boot device, on start up a prompt shows up with "press
    any key to boot from CDROM" but there is a few second time limit before it
    continues to the next boot device (hard drive, floppy, etc). I had a
    monitor that would not "wake up" fast enough to even see the message.

    Carl
    "Ryan" <rfrenz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
    > Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
    > from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
    > different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
    > I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
    > ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
    > this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
    > something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ryan

    master position (last connector) on the cable is what I meant. sorry to
    been confusing.

    > Hope not. Shouldn't it be Cable Select?
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Is the CD-ROM drive jumpered for master?
    > >
    > > "Ryan" <rfrenz@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm trying to upgrade a Dimension 4100 (P3 866, 20 GB, 256 MB) to
    > > > Windows 2000 from ME. For some reason I can't get the system to boot
    > > > from the Installation CD. It's not the CD (used it to install on a
    > > > different machine) or the CD-ROM drive (swapped in a known good one).
    > > > I upgraded the BIOS to A11 to be sure, with no luck, and yes, I have
    > > > ATAPI CD-ROM set as the 1st boot device in Setup. Has anyone seen
    > > > this in the Dimension? Is there a Mobo jumper I need to set or
    > > > something?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > >
    > > > Ryan

    I got the system to boot from a Win98 Installation CD. There must be
    a problem with the older CD-ROM and newer Win2000 Media. Either way,
    I got it installed via 98-->upgrade to 2000.

    Thanks for the replies,

    Ryan

    On 20 Jul 2004 10:16:50 -0700, rfrenz@gmail.com (Ryan) wrote:

    >I got the system to boot from a Win98 Installation CD. There must be
    >a problem with the older CD-ROM and newer Win2000 Media. Either way,
    >I got it installed via 98-->upgrade to 2000.

    Never heard of that. I can boot 2K on a five-year old Optiplex.
    Maybe the CD itself is bad?
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    I've got a very similar problem on my 4100 as well. Cannot boot from a
    Pioneer DVD writer. Recently added a Promise SATA card and drive to my
    system. During the startup the SATA posts then the CD drive shows active a
    few seconds. Then the SATA posts again and the system restarts. Keeps doing
    this cycle until I remove the CD from the drive. All BIOSs are current rev.

    Very few BIOSes are designed to work with SATA cards, and most of the Intel-made
    P3 boards (as used by Dell, even with Dell BIOS) are unlikely to boot from even
    a Promise ATA100/66 card... Ben Myers

    > Very few BIOSes are designed to work with SATA cards, and most of the
    > Intel-made
    > P3 boards (as used by Dell, even with Dell BIOS) are unlikely to boot from
    > even
    > a Promise ATA100/66 card... Ben Myers

    <snip>

    Ben,

    Are you speaking of optical drives w/regard to booting from the ATA cards?
    With regard to hard disks, Dell used to routinely sell XPS T and B models
    that used Promise ATA 100 cards from their factory - as they did with some
    SATA RAID cards in the Dim 8300. ?

    Stew

    The 4100 has no trouble booting from the SATA card, the BIOS boot selection
    is 'Option ROM'.

    Thanks for the clarification. My bad. Haven't touched a 4100 in some time...
    Ben

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:03:07 GMT, "Dave" <dshirsh@comcast.net> wrote:

    >The 4100 has no trouble booting from the SATA card, the BIOS boot selection
    >is 'Option ROM'.

Dell CD-Rom Dimension Computers