Sign in with
Your question

Choices Choices

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 8, 2005 3:03:13 PM

I am going to either buy or put together a new computer but cannot decide what it is that I want to do. There are just so many good choices. I am currently using my Pentium III 700 mhz machine that I put together a few years ago. I don't really play games since I got my X-Box. But I am running into USB compatibility and speed issues that I want to resolve. So I decided it was time to upgrade. My friend recommended a SFF since it will eliminate some desktop space and give me more than enough performance that I need. But should I go with a Pentium D or Athlon? One is cheaper, one is better both are more than I need. Then there is the DEll XPS Gen 2 laptop. That is pretty awesome...but I don't know the consequences of having a laptop versus a machine I built myself except for future upgrades. My head is spinning and I can't decide!

More about : choices choices

July 8, 2005 4:01:17 PM

If you build a SFF your best bet is an Athlon 64 those run much cooler, so they're better for the small space available in a SFF.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>
July 8, 2005 4:25:06 PM

Also look at mini-towers and a microATX mobo. SFFs are small, but they don't really take up less desk space - they're shorter, but wider than a std or mid-tower. A mini-tower is narrower than SFF so it atcually does use less desk space.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2005 5:33:54 PM

And if you dont specifically need a laptop, dont get a laptop =).
No doubt it will eb faster than your PIII but it will neeever reach the A64 speed(or the Pentium-D for that matter0

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2005 6:01:58 AM

SFF sucks and takes up MORE desktop space. Desktop space is horizontal, towers are verticle, SFF cubes are wider than towers.

If you want something small, I suggest finding a fairly narrow Micro ATX case and putting a good Micro ATX board in it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a c 159 à CPUs
July 9, 2005 1:10:37 PM

I suggest a micro atx desktop case, and place your monitor on top. You can go with socket 939 and an ecs or msi micro atx board with onboard video. I went with socket 754 and onboard video for about $100 less. There are no future proof upgrades. Most systems will remain upgradable for only 18-24 months. After this time, prices on amd cpus may actually rise as the supply dwindles.
July 10, 2005 5:21:44 PM

Good point. Or he can buy a laptop like he mentioned. The choice is his.
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2005 7:51:48 PM

Yes, basically you can have portability in a notebook, or expandability in a tower (even a small Micro ATX tower), but something in between is a poor sacrifice of both.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 11, 2005 4:45:22 AM

My opinion is that gaming laptops aren't too good becuase theyre not mobile. They are heavy and expensive. They also get extremely hot. my 538 processor gets to 70+ when I am playing games.
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2005 6:47:36 AM

So get a Micro ATX tower that's only about 15 inches tall and 5 inches wide. Width is a big factor when carrying things, don't let anyone lie to you otherwise.

!