Sign in with
Your question

New install, new computer, hard drive(s) not being recognized.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 24, 2012 7:56:27 PM

Hello. I have recently built a brand new computer. I installed windows seven once properly, with no problems, no issues what-so-ever. It ran fine until it froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Upon second start-up it gave me the error (to some effect) "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" I tried multiple things within the bios and eventually gave up. (I was running an SSD hard drive at the time) I went and bought a WD caviar black 1tb 6gb/s. Upon installing that to the computer, and starting in AHCI I put in the system disk and ran the installer. The installer didn't recognize the HDD and in fact, didn't recognize anything at all, as the HDD was the only memory space possible. I ran it in IDE and got the same problem.
TL;DR: intalling win7, installer can't see my HDD.
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 8:01:56 PM

You mentioned that you put the HDD into AHCI mode in the BIOS. Go back and re-verify that it took just to be safe because if Windows 7 isnt seeing it in the installer something else is up.

Make sure that there are no USB drives or external card readers plugged into the computer. Also be sure that you don't have a printer with a card reader on it plugged in because it can fool the system into thinking that it is the hard drive its trying to boot from.
m
l
December 24, 2012 8:38:45 PM

I just checked, it isn't being recognized in the bios either. There is nothing plugged into any USB aside from the required things (mouse, keyboard). I don't know what is up, but I have switched out the sata cables, and switched the spots they are in on the mobo. AHCI certainly took aswell. Should I move it from ide back to AHCI?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 25, 2012 12:36:57 PM

sktbrdr87 said:
I just checked, it isn't being recognized in the bios either. There is nothing plugged into any USB aside from the required things (mouse, keyboard). I don't know what is up, but I have switched out the sata cables, and switched the spots they are in on the mobo. AHCI certainly took aswell. Should I move it from ide back to AHCI?

Yes because if the BIOS is looking for a IDE drive it won't find it anywhere. Go back in and move it to AHCI and then try it again.

Newer SATA drives and BIOS do not behave well with each other for some reason unless its set to AHCI.
m
l
Related resources
!