Sign in with
Your question

Booting freezes after about 10 seconds

Last response: in Windows 7
December 24, 2012 8:22:11 PM

Since the windows 8 forum is offline atm. I thought I would come here. Anyway, I have recently installed a new heat sink, gpu, and ram and after I turn the computer on, it posts, goes to the windows 8 logo, loads for about 5-10 seconds, and then freezes. it even does this when I go to the bios. I checked the temps of my cpu to see if it was overheating for some reason but it was running at 23 Celsius, so I have reason to believe it could be heating problems with the gpu. But I don't fully believe that is the case either. Please help if you can. thanks.

specs:
cpu: amd phenom II x6 1050
gpu: sapphire radeon 6870
Heatsink: CM hyper 212 plus
PSU: corsair cs600 builder series
RAM: corsair vengeance 8gb (2x4)
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 11:27:02 PM

Sounds offhand as though it is a hardware problem. I will suggest you check that your ram is fully inserted and also all SATA cables and power connectors are firmly connected at both ends.
It may also be a driver conflict issue, what was the previous GPU and were all of it's drivers removed before installing the new GPU?
Hope it helps
December 25, 2012 2:27:00 AM

C12Friedman said:
Sounds offhand as though it is a hardware problem. I will suggest you check that your ram is fully inserted and also all SATA cables and power connectors are firmly connected at both ends.
It may also be a driver conflict issue, what was the previous GPU and were all of it's drivers removed before installing the new GPU?
Hope it helps

I have fully made sure that the ram was completely in. I even swapped out ram to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. The computer freezes at the windows splash screen, and if reset right away, it happens even sooner. if I wait for awhile it will freeze at the window splash screen again. i even tried booting it without a hard drive but it still freezes. I have even reset the CMOS. So it could be a driver conflict. i had an amd radeon 4290 integrated graphics before this. And i never bothered to uninstall the drivers before I installed the new gpu. The problem is, is that when i boot from integrated graphics it displays the POSTS splash screen and then the monitor goes blank and has no signal. :fou:  I have horrible luck with computers.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 25, 2012 2:43:30 AM

What motherboard are you on, do you have another PSU you can try?
a b $ Windows 7
December 25, 2012 2:54:42 AM

My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz). think.
a b $ Windows 7
December 25, 2012 2:57:52 AM

If the clock rate is different in one ram to other the problem arived.then changing gpu can also cause the problem.
load default settings in bios.goto safemode.wait for some time to detect hardware changes.
!