2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Not sure what this means, standard i guess. I dont plan to travel much with it but i want it to be mobile. a 17 inch screen would be nice but size really doesnt matter if its at least 15 inches.
3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesnt matter
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? This will be my only PC. But I want a laptop not a desktop. I wont be moving it much but would like the option.
5. How much battery life do you need? Not much, will be plugged in most the time.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? High on new games. I plan to keep this for about 5 years so maybe in 4 years i can play new games on low
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) School work, socializing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? The more the better right.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. The sky is the limit. I am thinking about just going to buy one at the local best buy and gettting the insurance plan. I never get the unsurance plan but i have had so many friends have problems with laptops especially where the power plugs in, that i think its a wise choice. I plan to spend 100 more on that or so i have no clue really how much that will cost.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD atleast, blue ray would be nice.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have no clue which is why i am asking here. I really like the quality of sony electronics. They are durable and never let me down but i have never owned one of their laptops.
13. What country do you live in? US
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I will be connecting to my parents cable router via wifi, i want win7 64, i prefer atleast 4 gigs ram, i want duo core.
Id really love to hear from people who have tested some of these out or even links to info about comparisons and prices/deals.
from experience laptops are not good gaming machines, and with your budget you probably wont be able to purchase one that will be able to play games on a high setting , medium to low on games a couple of years old maybe.
Yeah, at 500, you can only really afford mainstream laptops, and none of which are going to play current video games on anything above medium settings (if even that). If you really want the most for your money, and you want it to last longer than two years, bump your budget to $700, and build your own desktop. You could even closely follow the latest SBM at $500, but keep in mind you still have to buy your OS and a monitor.
As for buying any computer from bestbuy, (I bought my first 5 computers from them) don't buy their stupid warranty. They seriously do everything they can to avoid paying for a problem/repair, especially with laptops. Don't take my word for it, just go stand near the "returns/geek squad repair" area, and listen to how many people complain about their warranty process.