would i notice a difference?

IasubtledaggerI

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
i know you guys probably get a lot of these kinds of questions, but i cannot find a reasonable answer to go by. first off, i should tell you i dont know a lot about computers (mostly just the basics like what ram does, what a processor does etc). i will be using this for gaming mostly. i should proabably tell you my system specs first though (or however much i can)
Intel Celeron 2.0 ghz socket 478
768 mb of kingston ram
(dont know the motherboard)
Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 ultra 128 mb

My question is if i were to upgrade from that processor to <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171" target="_new"> this one </A> would i notice a huge improvement or a not so noticeable one?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IasubtledaggerI on 07/13/05 12:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Probably you would notice some improvement, but that improvement would be more if you upgraded the video card.

Make sure you know if your motherboard can handle that CPU.

Also if you will use your computer for gaming, consider going to AMD when you upgrade the whole system.

<b><font color=green>Celibacy is not hereditary<font color=green></b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
(dont know the motherboard)
Then we can't even tell you if that proc will work in your system or not. It won't be much of an upgrade if it doesn't even work. :O

<font color=red> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The devil is in the details.</i></font color=red>
@ 192K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
At least he'll have a $180 + shipping paperweight!
I have an Intel paperweight. I got mine for free from my IT department's scrap box. I have no idea what CPU it is exactly though. I'm guessing that it's an early Pentium chip, but what speed and such beats me. It's nice and heavy at least. :)

I'm not bothering to straighten the plethora of bent pins. None are missing, but even if the CPU works, I'd have no use for it as a CPU. I should probably clean off the dried up paste though. I don't need dirty papers 'cuz of a messy paperweight. :O

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i do know that it will fit my motherboard but i dont know anything else about it.
Well, see, here's the thing. For all we know your motherboard can only run a 400MHz FSB. The shiny new upgrade has an 800MHz FSB. So assuming that things like power problems didn't prevent it from working, it still might run as slow as half of its speed because of FSB difference.

Just because the socket fits doesn't mean that it'll actually work.

IasubtledaggerI

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
lets say i got an AMD such as <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103486" target="_new">this one</A> and got <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131513" target="_new">this motherboard</A>. would it be an even bigger improvement over the P4 i suggested earlier? also would those 2 work toghether? both of those would cost just a little more than buying the P4 alone.
sorry for the hassle, im new to upgrading my pc. and thanks for putting up with me :tongue:

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
It would be a... wel... sweet improvement! That celery you have is soooo slow. An A64 just dominates over it, even with your 5700!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
As I said before you'll notice improvement but probably the video card will be your bottleneck.
If you go the AMD way don't get a VIA motherboard.

I'll try to find something good for you, check later.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
That combo would work together yes. My question is, What kind of ram are you using with your celery? If it is SDRAM or anything slower than DDR400 then you will need new ram for the new board and cpu. Thats about another $150 depending.

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123230" target="_new">mobo $87.99</A>
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537" target="_new">CPU $146</A>

It's more than the CPU you said earlier, but with socket 939 you'll have an option to upgrade to double core later.

What's your budget and maybe we can get you something better or a little cheaper depending on your money.

clob: What do you think of these?

IasubtledaggerI

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
my budget is around 250 depending on my next paycheck (WOOHOO KFC!! lol) so i guess those would be good choices. im not sure about the ram, i got the case for it right here. it says
KVR400/512R
512MB PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM
not sure what that means lol.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The CL3 means the latency. the 3200 means the speed which is 400MHz (200MHz doubled).
I guess that RAM is OK a little slow maybe but it's OK.
Your best choice for the mobo would be a nforce 4 ultra mobo but then you'll have to upgrade your mobo to a PCIe one.

Don't talk about KFC I'm on a diet :mad:

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Sure, and if you run into problems post here maybe we can help.

Be sure to read the FAQs from the motherboards forum, it could save you some trouble.

IasubtledaggerI

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
sorry to bother you guys again, but i heard that i would need a different version of windows xp if i got both of those. is this true? its not keeping me from getting them but i would just like to know before i get pissed after installing them and finding out that i cant use them yet.

endyen

Splendid
Do you have the XP CD? If so, you will need a note from Bill,(for xp home only). Then, when you finish your re-build you can do a clean install (recommended, because it gets rid of a lot of crap)or do a repair install.
Neat tip, if you dont know what your cd code is, download a prog called magic jellybean. It will tell you.

IasubtledaggerI

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
yes i have the XP cd and its XP pro, not home. sorry i dont get what you are trying to say, do i just reinstall with the XP cd ive been using? i dont need a different kind of XP to run it on an AMD?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
amd supports 64 bit windows xp and if you got this version it is backwards with 32 bit software (most of the stuff out there are 32 bit, games like farcry have 64 bit editions that suppose to be better looking or performa faster...) but if you canlt afford/don;t want a 64bit windows then amd cpus are backward compatable with 32bit windows (you got now) if need to back up all files or make a seperate volume (partictiation? i can't spell sorry......... its like spliting your hard drive up virtually...) and instal windows on it and run it from there, if you do make a seperate volume for windows make sure it had 5 G - 10 G for future windowss (BTW then if you do this you can't just install all programs in the windows volume (because then i would run out of space), install them on your seperate volume)

endyen

Splendid
No, xp pro is xp pro. You can exchange it for xp 64bit, but it's not a good idea yet. I'm running the same install of xp that we use at work. I have an A64 @ home, a P4 at work. Just use the xp cd, and choose between a new install, or a repair install.