Tech: TZ won't boot when top ribbon cable plugged into DMD..

Hi,

I have a TZ with an unusual problem. Everything worked fine until a
couple of days ago and now the game won't boot up unless I unplug the
top ribbon cable from the DMD board. What occurs is that it tries to
boot and you hear the clicking sound of the boot-up but just before the
middle flashing LED comes on on the CPU - it starts clicking over and
over again. This is the cable the goes from the CPU to the Fliptronics,
Sound, and then DMD. I have tried several things to remedy the problem
without any luck. As soon as the cable is disconnected from the DMD
board it boots fine and all functions work (except the display).

1. replaced all ribbon cables on the game with known working ones. And
the ribbon cables are plugged in correctly and oriented correctly. No
pins are bent or broken.
2. replaced the DMD board with a good working one out of another TZ and
even with a new DMD repalcement board
3. replaced the CPU with a good one from another TZ
4. replaced the sound board with one from another TZ
5. Isolated the CPU from all the other boards by removing all other
ribbon cables - then even when the cable plugs into the DMD and is
disconnected from the fliptronics and sound boards it does not work.
6. checked the DC voltages going to the CPU and they are right on 5 and
12 volts. I even tried powering it up from another working power driver
board.
7. tried a new dmd display and even tried it with the DMD display
disconnected.
8. resetaed all the cables in the cabinet by the transformer. the
voltages are all within specs. The voltages on the DMD board (in and
out) are also in spec
9. checked all fuses on the all of the boards.

I'm running out of ideas here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please - e-mail me diretcly if you have any hot leads! bobgto65@aol.com

Thanks,
Bob Antelman
9 answers Last reply
More about tech boot ribbon cable plugged

    Looks pretty thorough, Bob. Not sure that TZ boots without the other
    boards in circuit (my Creature didn't), but that is about it.

    So I would go the other way, move your boards into the good TZ, see if
    they still fail. Just one caveat, switching out the transformer is
    quick and will eliminate all but the power loom from the equation. Do
    all that, only the power loom is left.

    Try a new solenoid driver board Bob, TZ uses everything, and everything may
    have stressed that board. Be sure your transformer connectors are good too.
    LTG :)

    "bob" <bobgto65@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a TZ with an unusual problem. Everything worked fine until a
    > couple of days ago and now the game won't boot up unless I unplug the
    > top ribbon cable from the DMD board. What occurs is that it tries to
    > boot and you hear the clicking sound of the boot-up but just before the
    > middle flashing LED comes on on the CPU - it starts clicking over and
    > over again. This is the cable the goes from the CPU to the Fliptronics,
    > Sound, and then DMD. I have tried several things to remedy the problem
    > without any luck. As soon as the cable is disconnected from the DMD
    > board it boots fine and all functions work (except the display).
    >
    > 1. replaced all ribbon cables on the game with known working ones. And
    > the ribbon cables are plugged in correctly and oriented correctly. No
    > pins are bent or broken.
    > 2. replaced the DMD board with a good working one out of another TZ and
    > even with a new DMD repalcement board
    > 3. replaced the CPU with a good one from another TZ
    > 4. replaced the sound board with one from another TZ
    > 5. Isolated the CPU from all the other boards by removing all other
    > ribbon cables - then even when the cable plugs into the DMD and is
    > disconnected from the fliptronics and sound boards it does not work.
    > 6. checked the DC voltages going to the CPU and they are right on 5 and
    > 12 volts. I even tried powering it up from another working power driver
    > board.
    > 7. tried a new dmd display and even tried it with the DMD display
    > disconnected.
    > 8. resetaed all the cables in the cabinet by the transformer. the
    > voltages are all within specs. The voltages on the DMD board (in and
    > out) are also in spec
    > 9. checked all fuses on the all of the boards.
    >
    > I'm running out of ideas here. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Please - e-mail me diretcly if you have any hot leads! bobgto65@aol.com
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob Antelman

    I had a similar problem on STTNG and it was the fliptronics board. It
    would start with any single board plugged in even the fliptronics but
    with any board plugged in at the same time as the fliptronics board it
    would not come out of blanking. Socketed and replaced all the IC's on
    the fliptonrics board for about $4 in parts and it works like a champ.

    HTH,
    GregO.

    Greg,

    I swapped a fliptronics board that worked fine in another TZ into this
    game and it did not solve the problem.I also tsated the fliptronics
    board and DMD board from the problem game in another TZ and they both
    worked fine.

    Bob

    just to be clear, since you seem to have two TZs, have you swapped the
    FULL set of boards and ribbon cables in the 'broken' TZ with the boards
    from the working TZ and vice versa, and the boot problem stays with the
    original machine and the working machine still works with all of the
    boards and cables from the broken one? and the broken one, even with a
    full set of boards/cables from the working TZ still does not boot? I"m
    not sure ify ou done a full set swap or just boards. It could well be
    that more then one board/cable has a problem.

    It really sounds like an address bus issue on either the DMD,
    fliptronics or the cable, but, based on what you have done not sure why
    you have not been able to isolate it. I assume when you say DMD board
    you are referring to the controller and not the display.

    Bob, Steve ran through a similar problem on Jackbot when we did LAD2.
    The problem was a solidly locked up DMD driver board. A logic problem
    we believe. Once he swapped it out (the DMD driver) with a repro, he
    was up and running again!

    Best of Luck

    The problem is fixed. It turns out the DMD board was not getting the 5V
    from the power driver board. On closer inspection of the connector on
    J117, the gray (5V wire) worked its way slightly out of the connector,
    not enough to notice unless you looked at it closely but enough to
    break the circuit. Once it was punched in the problem was solved. Kudos
    to Mike Frasca for helping me with this!

    Thanks for posting the solution. Surprising that that would keep the
    cpu from booting.

    Greg

    Not surprising at all.
    The ribbon cable brings the 6809's address and data lines
    to all the backbox boards. if one of these boards drags
    down an address and/or data line, it will lock up the
    whole system!

    This is why the "minimize and test" procedure is a good one.
    Make the system as small as possible, and then add one
    board at a time back to the system. This identifies which
    board is the problem.

    GregO. wrote:
    > Thanks for posting the solution. Surprising that that would keep the
    > cpu from booting.
    >
    > Greg

Boot Cable Video Games