The AMD and Intel Energy Crisis (WTF?!)

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
So THG decides to put up an article about energy savings, great....

but when they choose their components a vein popped in my head...

regarding an energy based article:

The cpu components tom's chose:
"AMD's Athlon 64 is a well-known and powerful specimen. We picked the 4000+ model at 2.4 GHz and 1 MB L2 cache memory"

but for the other side:
"Intel ships the 500 and the 600 Pentium 4 series, while the latter is by far more interesting." (far more interesting to choose the new improved Intel cpu with obviously addressed power savings while FU**ING USING THE OLD 130NM HAMMER for the A64?! ever heard of the "far more interesting" Winchester/San Diego/Venice cores which are abundantly available for the desktop since end 2004 even before the Pentium 6xx series?! no because THG seems to have their heads too far up intel's asses to get any logic in an article right...

OMG I never expected such incompetence and ignorace... Someone plz do this test the right way, because almost nobody is recommending or selling an Newcastle/Hammer A64 Cpu anymore.
Every enthusiast or hardware supportforum (Guru3d, Anands, HA, Techspot, ExpertExhange, NXS, Extremesystems including popular magazines like pcworld, maxpc, pcmag. etc etc etc) recommends using AMD's NEWER (and readily AVAILABLE) 90nm cores. why does only THG act if the A64 only is on 130NM, while the Prescott (intel's 90nm) got whole articles and reviews compared to the northwood (130nm).

anyone seen a Venice vs Winchester, Winchester vs (claw/sledge)Hhammer/Newcastle comparison on THG?

Stop this obvious Bias and Incompetence. It hurts our intelligence and the once great respect for THG even more!!

/end rant

G

Ditto...

And anyway, the conclusion favors AMD in that respect...So it would have been a bigger bashing...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Keman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005
Considering you people are just watching and not doing the benchmarks, then stop wining, they don't just pull these procs out of thier ass, if they dont have a venice/san deigo core on them, they dont have it.

DeJohn

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
I love how they included Speed Step results for Intel CPUs yet failed to include any Cool N Quiet results for AMDs. Another obvious bias.

Can I have some of your payoff money Tom?

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
if they dont have a venice/san deigo core on them, they dont have it.
<b> W H A T ? ? ??!!! R U INSANE ??? </b>

They don't run these tests with just what's lying around in the spare parts bin. Come on, you're being completely naive now. If they don't have one on them???? They go out and get one just like they went out and got the 90nm P4's. It's not that hard. (and prolly cheaper)

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Who cares, its not like anyone reads THG anymore.

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

BePe86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Update from Toms Hardware Bribe:

"After our generous sponsor (intel) didn't like the results from our tests, we found out that we had done a terrible error. We therefore redid the tests, this time using a Intel 286 vs X2 4800+

Anal(ysis): intel is superior when it comes to both heat and power consumption.

Conclusion: if you want a new cpu, go for intel."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BePe86 on 07/13/05 08:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Lets just say the farmer got crossed with my behaviour
Are you saying that <i>you're</i> the one responsible for those freakish sheep-boy hybrids in the Skittles commercial? Or are you saying that the farmer was a vampire, so you staked a silver crucifix through his heart?

<font color=red> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The devil is in the details.</i></font color=red>
@ 192K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Hey,

Tom, "AMD, we are doing a energy evaluation of Intel and AMD plateform machines, please send us any cpu chips and motherboards that would help us give our readers an accurate review, we are hoping for samples of your high end and newer chips."

AMD reply, "Screw you, Intel Lover."

Tom, "Tom's Hardware has always and always do fair and square reviews with what is provided to us and quite frankly will continue to do so."

AMD reply, "Up yours".

Tom, "Intel, we are doing a energy evaluation of Intel and AMD plateform machines, please send us any cpu chips and motherboards that would help us give our readers an accurate review, we are hoping for samples of your high end and newer chips".

Intel, "Sure thing Tom, we have them at your door tomorrow."

Review is done and publish to what was available, AMD looks favorable.

AMD and Fanboys, "Not fair, you didn't use the new . . . . and most recent . . . . Intel lover faggots, losers, can't do anything right!!"

Intel, "Nice review Tom, looks like we need to look in a new area."

AMD, "We are going to sue you in the Monopoly lawsuit against INTEL since you are so freaking bias."

Tom, thinking to himself "Good grief, we even wrote a favorable outcome, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY an accurate evaluation!!"

BePe86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
ROFLMAO. If you think that's how it works, then screw you. AMD holds no grudge against THG, they even gave them an opportunity to watch a forumula 1-car close-up, since AMD sponcors Ferrari, do you think they gave that, so that the THG-crew would be killed in an "accident" at the racetrack?

And if you think that THG always have done dait and unbiased reviews, then you should really check out their reviews. They always somwhow get results that no other reviews site on the internet gets, so you're claiming that THG is fair, is just everybody else that's biased?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
LOL, so you work for AMD and know this or making it up??? hehe

Now I don't know what the intentions where for the watch, do you? I would think AMD was being friendly.

Actually I've found Tom's reviews rather good and unbias to the best of their ability. That doesn't mean errors where not made, oversights and what not. It happens to the best and these guy I believe are one of the best for reviews.

No, Tom just reports what he sees, everybody has a bad day or two. Now get over it. The rant of first post I've found humurous, so I came up with my own version is all. Now if you thought I thought that is what happened, well that deserves a ROFLMAO!

BePe86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
~LOL, so you work for AMD and know this or making it up??? hehe

No, I don't work for AMD. <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050627/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050627/index.html</A>

~Now I don't know what the intentions where for the watch, do you? I would think AMD was being friendly.

Of course they were, and I really doubt that AMD would refuse to lend THG a cpu for an arcticle/review on power-consumption.

~Actually I've found Tom's reviews rather good and unbias to the best of their ability. That doesn't mean errors where not made, oversights and what not. It happens to the best and these guy I believe are one of the best for reviews.

I agree, in the old days, it was like that, before Tom sold the website, and quit. Late THG reviews however, are mostly a joke, just look at the stress test.

~No, Tom just reports what he sees, everybody has a bad day or two. Now get over it. The rant of first post I've found humurous, so I came up with my own version is all. Now if you thought I thought that is what happened, well that deserves a ROFLMAO!

As I said, Thomas Papst did that, at least much better than the crew they have today. Of course people can have a bad day, but when you're the most famous hardware site on the web, you are expected to be unbiased, but when they time after time behave like they do, conspiracies like the intel - thg guide pops up.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If I remember correctly Tom had some pretty strong convictions which many would consider bias but in the end it was his viewpoint which usually turned out to be rather true and at times amusing for us that was watching computers advance faster then anything else. Now it seems politics, marketing and what not has taken over the virgin internet to what it is today. Sad that Tom gave up the site he created but then again I don't blame him at all and hope the best for him. Having his personality which grated on a number of people nerves was just perfect for the time and actually changed the course of the internet in general for pc users in the world. Long live the king. Now kick some as...

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Tom had some pretty strong convictions which many would consider bias but in the end it was his viewpoint which usually turned out to be rather true and at times amusing for us that was watching computers advance faster then anything else.
Tom himself could not stand intel and exposed them pretty much at every opportunity. I think that was a main reason for the intial popularity of thg that and overclocking. I agree his view points were true,,,,, but they usually talked down the intel hype or exposed the misleading marketing of intel. Tom was bought out a few years ago since that very sad day thg transformed itsself into a advertising machine which is considerd by most of the knowlegable computer people on the internet as a joke and that is no understatment.

I forgot what was your point again??

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> He was a performance fanboy, and sometimes a
>price/performance fanboy, but always he tried to be an
>honesty fanboy

Hmm.. Tom was (and presumably still is) a *huge*, devoted, religiously inspired fan.. of himself. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I guess this <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/blurb/20020825/blurb-04.html" target="_new"> HUUUGE picture in a picture</A> is more telling than the incredible arrogant "blurb" itselve.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Now why does he have blond hair while the picture he has brown? Is there two of them? Who colors their hair, except for ladies I mean? Probably a Tom joke on us, do you get it? Still I miss his editorials and what not.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Now that is total BS. Tom could not stsnd fanbois,
I think what you meant was,, it's not BS but the fact tom did not like BS to the extreame which explained why he did not like intel.... No!

He could see as we do all or most here do ,,,,, the BS marketing and called it like it was. long before big money got involved and Omid stuck his idiot head in the door.

Tom hated intel because he hated the BS more or less.

Do you remember endyen it was omid who coined the phrase fanboi as far as i can remember anyway. and omid used it to refer to anyone prefering amd. Tom would never have stooped that low. so don't talk about tom and fanboi thats an omid thing.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm.. Tom was (and presumably still is) a *huge*, devoted, religiously inspired fan.. of himself. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I guess this HUUUGE picture in a picture is more telling than the incredible arrogant "blurb" itselve.
**ROFL** Damn. Ain't that the truth!

<font color=purple> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The devil is in the details.</i></font color=purple>
@ 193K -> 200,000 miles or bust!