Beware - Dell Tech Support is Horrible!

I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.

During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
myself.

The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
reinstall the right drivers.

In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
did.

The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
way to treat a client.

I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.

In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
just as important as reliable hardware.

So think hard before buying a Dell!!
20 answers Last reply
More about beware dell tech support horrible

    <yawn>...another troll...BOHICA

    Rocky

    "Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
    > recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
    > bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
    >
    > During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
    > and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
    > Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
    > myself.
    >
    > The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
    > drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
    > This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
    > boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
    > incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
    > reinstall the right drivers.
    >
    > In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
    > did.
    >
    > The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
    > 'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
    > way to treat a client.
    >
    > I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
    > they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
    >
    > In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
    > just as important as reliable hardware.
    >
    > So think hard before buying a Dell!!

    Trust me. It's not much better with a Gateway or an HP, two other leading name
    brands catering to consumers. They're all selling computers at rock bottom
    prices with slim margins because they say that the consumer shops only on price
    and price alone. With slim margins, tech support and warranty service are the
    first areas to go down the tubes.

    IBM withdrew from the consumer market a while ago, still maintains prices higher
    than any of the others, offers first-rate tech support. You can't buy an IBM in
    a store. You CAN buy one direct, but their emphasis is on business-oriented
    clients and large volume sales... Ben Myers

    On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:

    >I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
    >recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
    >bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
    >
    >During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
    >and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
    >Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
    >myself.
    >
    >The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
    >drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
    > This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
    >boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
    >incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
    >reinstall the right drivers.
    >
    >In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
    >did.
    >
    >The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
    >'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
    >way to treat a client.
    >
    >I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
    >they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
    >
    >In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
    >just as important as reliable hardware.
    >
    >So think hard before buying a Dell!!

    Someday, some company, and it could be Dell, if they have the
    smarts, will figure out what support can be automated and they
    will automate it effectively. The rest of their support will have
    to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
    in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
    non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
    non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.

    Right now, service is terrible everywhere. The one thing American
    captialism and the "service economy" cannot seem to provide is
    service. We've lost manufacturing. Now service? Paycheck, anyone?

    "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."

    I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
    would say the same about you, bigot.

    Rocky

    "sogs" <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:
    >
    > >I've owned a Dell PC for years...<snip>

    I wish someone would tell this idiot what a troll is....he doesn't
    have a clue. God forbid someone should warn others of problems with
    Dell or be unhappy about problems they're experiencing. I have to
    wonder who the squirrels of this world are kissing up to....

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:49 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    ><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
    >
    >Rocky
    >
    >"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
    >> recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
    >> bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
    >>
    >> During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
    >> and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
    >> Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
    >> myself.
    >>
    >> The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
    >> drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
    >> This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
    >> boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
    >> incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
    >> reinstall the right drivers.
    >>
    >> In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
    >> did.
    >>
    >> The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
    >> 'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
    >> way to treat a client.
    >>
    >> I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
    >> they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
    >>
    >> In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
    >> just as important as reliable hardware.
    >>
    >> So think hard before buying a Dell!!

    Middle East Terrorists: If we don't stop them there, we will
    no doubt have to fight them here...Stu Zucker

    Travis wrote:

    > <snip>
    > The rest of their support will have
    > to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
    > in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
    > non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
    > non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.

    It's available, right now, to Small Business customers and up.

    It's called "Gold Tech Support."

    Notan

    "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote:

    >Someday, some company, and it could be Dell, if they have the
    >smarts, will figure out what support can be automated and they
    >will automate it effectively. The rest of their support will have
    >to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
    >in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
    >non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
    >non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.
    >
    >Right now, service is terrible everywhere. The one thing American
    >captialism and the "service economy" cannot seem to provide is
    >service. We've lost manufacturing. Now service? Paycheck, anyone?

    TAANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such As A Free Lunch. Too many
    computer buyers have told Dell, Gateway, HP, and others, that
    they will buy their computer from the company selling at the
    lowest price. If Dell tried today to sell its computers at a
    price that will support the real tech support they used to offer,
    they'd be on a course to put themselves out of business.

    They do still offer that old-time support, but the user has to
    pay for it over and above the base computer price. The overhead
    built into the computer price isn't enough to cover the expense
    of providing that support.

    Besides, from all indications, your problem was a software one,
    probably a conflicting installation/configuration change you made
    to something. So in this case, you rant should be against
    Microsoft and/or the publisher of the conflicting software.
    --
    OJ III

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
    >
    > I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
    > would say the same about you, bigot.
    >
    > Rocky

    <snip>

    Rocky,

    To slap the "bigot" label on someone for expressing an opinion that seems to
    be getting more and more common (at least in my small circles) isn't really
    reasonable. In fact, it's almost like being in denial.

    Are there good Indian techs who can bridge the language gap and get the job
    done? Sure there are, and I have spoken with some. On the other hand, when
    one ties together the newer PC user who's technically limited, then couples
    it with a non-domestic tech whose culture and language are different and
    whose tech skills may be marginal to average - then you've got a recipe for
    a seriously pissed off customer. I believe that is what we're seeing in this
    ng and others.

    Granted, there is plenty of ridiculously bad customer support here
    stateside. But at least in those situations, the barriers of context,
    culture, and language are more often than not limited - and there's not the
    sense of disengaged/distance one gets when connected overseas (in my
    opinion).

    Bottom line is: there are a lot of people frustrated with overseas call
    centers though they liked the cheap price they paid for their system(s) or
    other product.

    To ignore the quantity of these complaints is unrealistic, in my view.

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:

    Thanks, Stew.

    Calling someone a bigot is like calling them a Nazi, a homophobe, a
    racist, et cetera, et cetera.

    *EVEN IF IT IS TRUE* (and the evidence in this case is, at best,
    extremely marginal), at that point, all worthwhile discussion stops and
    you might as well quit following that particular newsgroup thread.

    Bob Pownall

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schrieb:

    > Trust me. It's not much better with a Gateway or an HP, two other
    > leading name brands catering to consumers.
    [..]

    I can't agree here. Bought an HP PSC 2175 and had it replaced without any
    problems because the glass was not clean at the bottom side (and I couldn't
    clean it myself). Took my 5 minutes to organize a new PSC.

    You raise good points, Stew, as usual.

    The fact is, people in India are no less intelligent than people in the
    U.S., so to assail someone's intelligence merely because they are in India
    is, in my opinion, nothing more than bigotry.

    Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
    or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
    so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
    is, in my opinion, bigotry.

    People who live in the United States had better get used to foreign accents
    and cultures because they are found in first-line public service positions
    all over the country (the cashier at McDonalds, the clerk at the pharmacy,
    etc.) Anyone who can't accept this had better head back to their cave.

    Technical support reps in foreign countries are no less sincere in their
    desire to help or committed to providing good service than are those found
    in the U.S. To berate someone merely because they come from a foreign
    country is simply xenophobic - a trait Americans are known for,
    unfortunately.

    Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
    very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
    deserve.

    Rocky

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 04:27:28 GMT, sogs <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >If I talk to one more Indian for support
    >I think I'll scream. They better clean up there support before they
    >start going down hill.

    Don't talk to them, email them.

    Hello.

    My name is Buffy Savindipshayanshiva and I understand your problem.

    First I would like you to send me the zip code associated with the
    invoice for the product with which you are having problems. Then, if
    the zip code is a prime number, I will get back to with instructions
    about how to obtain the new plastic feet for your laptop.

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:56:21 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    >Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
    >very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
    >deserve.

    Pot......kettle.......black??????

    <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    ><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
    >
    >Rocky

    Maybe. But support has gone down the tubes lately.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Paul Knudsen wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:49 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    >
    > ><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
    > >
    > >Rocky
    >
    > Maybe. But support has gone down the tubes lately.

    First-hand experience or anecdotal?

    Notan

    if i read one more stupid squirrel posting i think i'll scream.
    another stupid troll posting from the brainless squirrel troll.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
    >
    > I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
    > would say the same about you, bigot.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "sogs" <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I've owned a Dell PC for years...<snip>

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
    >
    > I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
    > would say the same about you, bigot.
    >
    > Rocky

    Only a squirrel would be so PC about poor Tech Support.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<k%cLc.50832$5Y.47974@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
    > You raise good points, Stew, as usual.
    >
    > The fact is, people in India are no less intelligent than people in the
    > U.S., so to assail someone's intelligence merely because they are in India
    > is, in my opinion, nothing more than bigotry.
    >
    > Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
    > or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
    > so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
    > is, in my opinion, bigotry.
    >
    > People who live in the United States had better get used to foreign accents
    > and cultures because they are found in first-line public service positions
    > all over the country (the cashier at McDonalds, the clerk at the pharmacy,
    > etc.) Anyone who can't accept this had better head back to their cave.
    >
    > Technical support reps in foreign countries are no less sincere in their
    > desire to help or committed to providing good service than are those found
    > in the U.S. To berate someone merely because they come from a foreign
    > country is simply xenophobic - a trait Americans are known for,
    > unfortunately.
    >
    > Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
    > very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
    > deserve.
    >
    > Rocky

    I post this as an ex contract employee for Dell tech support.
    I HATED the contractor(in the US..about 3 years ago) that I worked for
    but DID learn a lot from the experience. I have a newer cheap Dell
    computer and would
    buy again from Dell for their low end computers (2400 or 4600). For
    higher end I would probably buy from a smaller company or build
    myself. As has been said many times....the easiest way to deal with
    Dell support is through email. Dell warrants hardware only in the
    basic warranty and if you know what is wrong...or think you do..this
    is the easiest way to go. I still do technical support
    for high speed internet for a major cable company. It still amazes me
    that
    people expect the cable company and the computer manufacture to help
    them
    understand the most basic of computer use and security of a computer.
    I do understand that viruses..spyware..etc are a BAD problem (on
    Windows OS computers) but this is STILL the users responsibility. I
    recommend new computer users visit their local library and check out
    some basic computer books (windows xp for dummys..etc) and if they
    would like a more thorough knowledge maybe subscribe to pcworld
    magazine etc. Ignorance is no excuse. Just my opinion.
    Dave

    To add to what you said, Micro$oft and all the name-brand computer manufacturers
    peddle computers as tho they were as simple as household toasters. This helps
    them increase market penetration, but many computer buyers are ill-prepared to
    deal with admittedly THE MOST COMPLICATED operating system in the history of the
    world. Lotsa tech support people are ill-prepared, too. Despite Microsoft's
    braying on and on about reliable computing, we won't get there soon. The
    complexities of the operating system will see to that.

    So, yes, a lot of people are ignorant about computers. Probably they never
    should have bought computers to begin with. I won't complain too loudly though.
    What Dell lacks in tech support I can make up for locally and charge my clients,
    who by and large are grateful for hands-on and personal tech support.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 22 Jul 2004 21:07:36 -0700, davids165@juno.com (David) wrote:

> [...]
    >understand the most basic of computer use and security of a computer.
    >I do understand that viruses..spyware..etc are a BAD problem (on
    >Windows OS computers) but this is STILL the users responsibility. I
    >recommend new computer users visit their local library and check out
    >some basic computer books (windows xp for dummys..etc) and if they
    >would like a more thorough knowledge maybe subscribe to pcworld
    >magazine etc. Ignorance is no excuse. Just my opinion.
    >Dave

    On 22 Jul 2004 21:07:36 -0700, davids165@juno.com (David) wrote:

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:....
    >> Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
    >> or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
    >> so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada

    ........good stuff snipped...........

    I just would like to reiterate what Rocket said. I had occasion to call
    Dell Support late last night when my trusty old Dimension 4100 would not
    boot and would not even recognize the C: drive.

    The hold-time was unacceptable (about 40 minutes) but the technician was
    quite helpful and eventually solved a rather complex and intractable
    problem after being on the phone with me for over an hour.

    Some random observations. At one point he said he would call me back
    within five minutes. I figured that was the end and he was going to drop
    me and take another call. But he called back just as he promised. Also
    several times he said he needed to talk to his supervisor. But each time
    he was back with me in short order.

    This computer is four years old and has been out of warranty for at least
    one year. I expected they wouldn't even talk to me, much less actually
    solve my problem.

    He was willing to listen to my suggestions. When he asked me to pull all
    the connectors and open the case, I suggested we run the internal HD
    diagnostics first. I didn't remember the exact sequence, but he did.
    Ctrl-Alt-D at the Dell logo.

    Once I was able to access the C: drive and was reinstalling windows he gave
    me his direct line and extension in case there were further problems. There
    weren't. He also promised to call me back this evening to see how
    everything went.

    I'm pretty sure that he was from India, but his English was good and his
    accent very slight. In the past, I've dealt with worse accents and far
    more clueless techs from Dell support in the United States.

    I recently decided to upgrade to a new desktop. Because of all the bad
    talk about outsourced tech support, I decided to buy locally. I think
    outsourcing must be costing Dell some sales in the US, but they probably
    make up for it in international sales.

    My two cents.

Dell Support Computers