Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Beware - Dell Tech Support is Horrible!

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 19, 2004 9:08:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.

During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
myself.

The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
reinstall the right drivers.

In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
did.

The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
way to treat a client.

I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
responses - both identical. Clearly a form letter about "how much
they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.

In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
just as important as reliable hardware.

So think hard before buying a Dell!!
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:23:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<yawn>...another troll...BOHICA

Rocky

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:36f36d84.0407191608.2c72bd54@posting.google.com...
> I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
> recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
> bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
>
> During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
> and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
> Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
> myself.
>
> The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
> drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
> This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
> boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
> incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
> reinstall the right drivers.
>
> In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
> did.
>
> The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
> 'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
> way to treat a client.
>
> I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
> responses - both identical. Clearly a form letter about "how much
> they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
>
> In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
> just as important as reliable hardware.
>
> So think hard before buying a Dell!!
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:25:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Trust me. It's not much better with a Gateway or an HP, two other leading name
brands catering to consumers. They're all selling computers at rock bottom
prices with slim margins because they say that the consumer shops only on price
and price alone. With slim margins, tech support and warranty service are the
first areas to go down the tubes.

IBM withdrew from the consumer market a while ago, still maintains prices higher
than any of the others, offers first-rate tech support. You can't buy an IBM in
a store. You CAN buy one direct, but their emphasis is on business-oriented
clients and large volume sales... Ben Myers

On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:

>I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
>recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
>bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
>
>During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
>and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
>Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
>myself.
>
>The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
>drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
> This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
>boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
>incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
>reinstall the right drivers.
>
>In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
>did.
>
>The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
>'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
>way to treat a client.
>
>I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
>responses - both identical. Clearly a form letter about "how much
>they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
>
>In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
>just as important as reliable hardware.
>
>So think hard before buying a Dell!!
Related resources
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Someday, some company, and it could be Dell, if they have the
smarts, will figure out what support can be automated and they
will automate it effectively. The rest of their support will have
to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.

Right now, service is terrible everywhere. The one thing American
captialism and the "service economy" cannot seem to provide is
service. We've lost manufacturing. Now service? Paycheck, anyone?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:42:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."

I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
would say the same about you, bigot.

Rocky

"sogs" <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:628pf0dgqfkqo8iipb60fbl2rutluucvku@4ax.com...
> On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:
>
> >I've owned a Dell PC for years...<snip>
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 7:01:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I wish someone would tell this idiot what a troll is....he doesn't
have a clue. God forbid someone should warn others of problems with
Dell or be unhappy about problems they're experiencing. I have to
wonder who the squirrels of this world are kissing up to....



On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:49 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
>
>Rocky
>
>"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:36f36d84.0407191608.2c72bd54@posting.google.com...
>> I've owned a Dell PC for years. I think the hardware is great but I
>> recently had some frightening experiences with their tech support. So
>> bad that I would not even consider buying another Dell.
>>
>> During one call the tech couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows
>> and told me I had to format my hard drive and start from scratch.
>> Luckily I decided to wait and eventually figured out how to fix things
>> myself.
>>
>> The second problem was with my video card. The tech had me install
>> drivers for the wrong video adapter (which I didn't know at the time).
>> This not only didn't solve the problem but the next time I tried to
>> boot the system it wouldn't come up because the drivers were
>> incompatible with my video adapter. Fortunately I was able to
>> reinstall the right drivers.
>>
>> In both cases the techs told me they would call me back. Neither ever
>> did.
>>
>> The third was the last straw. I ended up talking to someone on their
>> 'escalation' team. He was rude and argumentative. Definitely not the
>> way to treat a client.
>>
>> I wrote two letters to Dell about the problems I had. I received two
>> responses - both identical. Clearly a form letter about "how much
>> they care" and how "seriously" they take letters like mine.
>>
>> In my opinion when it comes to a computer reliable tech support is
>> just as important as reliable hardware.
>>
>> So think hard before buying a Dell!!


Middle East Terrorists: If we don't stop them there, we will
no doubt have to fight them here...Stu Zucker
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:51:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Travis wrote:
>
> <snip>
> The rest of their support will have
> to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
> in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
> non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
> non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.

It's available, right now, to Small Business customers and up.

It's called "Gold Tech Support."

Notan
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote:

>Someday, some company, and it could be Dell, if they have the
>smarts, will figure out what support can be automated and they
>will automate it effectively. The rest of their support will have
>to come from fairly well-paid human beings who speak the language
>in which they're working -- and provide *real* service from
>non-script-reading computer literates and for which the
>non-Walmart-level customer will be overjoyed to pay.
>
>Right now, service is terrible everywhere. The one thing American
>captialism and the "service economy" cannot seem to provide is
>service. We've lost manufacturing. Now service? Paycheck, anyone?

TAANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such As A Free Lunch. Too many
computer buyers have told Dell, Gateway, HP, and others, that
they will buy their computer from the company selling at the
lowest price. If Dell tried today to sell its computers at a
price that will support the real tech support they used to offer,
they'd be on a course to put themselves out of business.

They do still offer that old-time support, but the user has to
pay for it over and above the base computer price. The overhead
built into the computer price isn't enough to cover the expense
of providing that support.

Besides, from all indications, your problem was a software one,
probably a conflicting installation/configuration change you made
to something. So in this case, you rant should be against
Microsoft and/or the publisher of the conflicting software.
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:03:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
news:Lo1Lc.41766$5Y.9995@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
>
> I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
> would say the same about you, bigot.
>
> Rocky
>

<snip>

Rocky,

To slap the "bigot" label on someone for expressing an opinion that seems to
be getting more and more common (at least in my small circles) isn't really
reasonable. In fact, it's almost like being in denial.

Are there good Indian techs who can bridge the language gap and get the job
done? Sure there are, and I have spoken with some. On the other hand, when
one ties together the newer PC user who's technically limited, then couples
it with a non-domestic tech whose culture and language are different and
whose tech skills may be marginal to average - then you've got a recipe for
a seriously pissed off customer. I believe that is what we're seeing in this
ng and others.

Granted, there is plenty of ridiculously bad customer support here
stateside. But at least in those situations, the barriers of context,
culture, and language are more often than not limited - and there's not the
sense of disengaged/distance one gets when connected overseas (in my
opinion).

Bottom line is: there are a lot of people frustrated with overseas call
centers though they liked the cheap price they paid for their system(s) or
other product.

To ignore the quantity of these complaints is unrealistic, in my view.


Stew
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:03:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

S.Lewis wrote:
<Summary: What I wanted to say, but said much better than I would have>

Thanks, Stew.

Calling someone a bigot is like calling them a Nazi, a homophobe, a
racist, et cetera, et cetera.

*EVEN IF IT IS TRUE* (and the evidence in this case is, at best,
extremely marginal), at that point, all worthwhile discussion stops and
you might as well quit following that particular newsgroup thread.

Bob Pownall
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:54:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schrieb:

> Trust me. It's not much better with a Gateway or an HP, two other
> leading name brands catering to consumers.
[..]

I can't agree here. Bought an HP PSC 2175 and had it replaced without any
problems because the glass was not clean at the bottom side (and I couldn't
clean it myself). Took my 5 minutes to organize a new PSC.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

You raise good points, Stew, as usual.

The fact is, people in India are no less intelligent than people in the
U.S., so to assail someone's intelligence merely because they are in India
is, in my opinion, nothing more than bigotry.

Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
is, in my opinion, bigotry.

People who live in the United States had better get used to foreign accents
and cultures because they are found in first-line public service positions
all over the country (the cashier at McDonalds, the clerk at the pharmacy,
etc.) Anyone who can't accept this had better head back to their cave.

Technical support reps in foreign countries are no less sincere in their
desire to help or committed to providing good service than are those found
in the U.S. To berate someone merely because they come from a foreign
country is simply xenophobic - a trait Americans are known for,
unfortunately.

Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
deserve.

Rocky


"S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message
news:yfcLc.9960$Yw3.9384@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> news:Lo1Lc.41766$5Y.9995@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> > "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
> >
> > I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
> > would say the same about you, bigot.
> >
> > Rocky
> >
>
> <snip>
>
> Rocky,
>
> To slap the "bigot" label on someone for expressing an opinion that seems
to
> be getting more and more common (at least in my small circles) isn't
really
> reasonable. In fact, it's almost like being in denial.
>
> Are there good Indian techs who can bridge the language gap and get the
job
> done? Sure there are, and I have spoken with some. On the other hand, when
> one ties together the newer PC user who's technically limited, then
couples
> it with a non-domestic tech whose culture and language are different and
> whose tech skills may be marginal to average - then you've got a recipe
for
> a seriously pissed off customer. I believe that is what we're seeing in
this
> ng and others.
>
> Granted, there is plenty of ridiculously bad customer support here
> stateside. But at least in those situations, the barriers of context,
> culture, and language are more often than not limited - and there's not
the
> sense of disengaged/distance one gets when connected overseas (in my
> opinion).
>
> Bottom line is: there are a lot of people frustrated with overseas call
> centers though they liked the cheap price they paid for their system(s) or
> other product.
>
> To ignore the quantity of these complaints is unrealistic, in my view.
>
>
> Stew
>
>
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:28:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 04:27:28 GMT, sogs <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net>
wrote:

>If I talk to one more Indian for support
>I think I'll scream. They better clean up there support before they
>start going down hill.

Don't talk to them, email them.

Hello.

My name is Buffy Savindipshayanshiva and I understand your problem.

First I would like you to send me the zip code associated with the
invoice for the product with which you are having problems. Then, if
the zip code is a prime number, I will get back to with instructions
about how to obtain the new plastic feet for your laptop.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:38:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:56:21 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
>very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
>deserve.

Pot......kettle.......black??????

Middle East Terrorists: If we don't stop them there, we will
no doubt have to fight them here...Stu Zucker
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:49 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
>
>Rocky

Maybe. But support has gone down the tubes lately.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:57:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Paul Knudsen wrote:
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:23:49 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
> <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
>
> ><yawn>...another troll...BOHICA
> >
> >Rocky
>
> Maybe. But support has gone down the tubes lately.

First-hand experience or anecdotal?

Notan
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:33:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

if i read one more stupid squirrel posting i think i'll scream.
another stupid troll posting from the brainless squirrel troll.


"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
news:Lo1Lc.41766$5Y.9995@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
>
> I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
> would say the same about you, bigot.
>
> Rocky
>
> "sogs" <nospamrobertv1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:628pf0dgqfkqo8iipb60fbl2rutluucvku@4ax.com...
> > On 19 Jul 2004 17:08:21 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:
> >
> > >I've owned a Dell PC for years...<snip>
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
news:Lo1Lc.41766$5Y.9995@cyclops.nntpserver.com...
> "If I talk to one more Indian for support I think I'll scream."
>
> I'll bet anyone anywhere in the world working for Dell technical support
> would say the same about you, bigot.
>
> Rocky
>

Only a squirrel would be so PC about poor Tech Support.
July 23, 2004 1:07:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<k%cLc.50832$5Y.47974@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
> You raise good points, Stew, as usual.
>
> The fact is, people in India are no less intelligent than people in the
> U.S., so to assail someone's intelligence merely because they are in India
> is, in my opinion, nothing more than bigotry.
>
> Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
> or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
> so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
> is, in my opinion, bigotry.
>
> People who live in the United States had better get used to foreign accents
> and cultures because they are found in first-line public service positions
> all over the country (the cashier at McDonalds, the clerk at the pharmacy,
> etc.) Anyone who can't accept this had better head back to their cave.
>
> Technical support reps in foreign countries are no less sincere in their
> desire to help or committed to providing good service than are those found
> in the U.S. To berate someone merely because they come from a foreign
> country is simply xenophobic - a trait Americans are known for,
> unfortunately.
>
> Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
> very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
> deserve.
>
> Rocky
>
I post this as an ex contract employee for Dell tech support.
I HATED the contractor(in the US..about 3 years ago) that I worked for
but DID learn a lot from the experience. I have a newer cheap Dell
computer and would
buy again from Dell for their low end computers (2400 or 4600). For
higher end I would probably buy from a smaller company or build
myself. As has been said many times....the easiest way to deal with
Dell support is through email. Dell warrants hardware only in the
basic warranty and if you know what is wrong...or think you do..this
is the easiest way to go. I still do technical support
for high speed internet for a major cable company. It still amazes me
that
people expect the cable company and the computer manufacture to help
them
understand the most basic of computer use and security of a computer.
I do understand that viruses..spyware..etc are a BAD problem (on
Windows OS computers) but this is STILL the users responsibility. I
recommend new computer users visit their local library and check out
some basic computer books (windows xp for dummys..etc) and if they
would like a more thorough knowledge maybe subscribe to pcworld
magazine etc. Ignorance is no excuse. Just my opinion.
Dave
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 9:01:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

To add to what you said, Micro$oft and all the name-brand computer manufacturers
peddle computers as tho they were as simple as household toasters. This helps
them increase market penetration, but many computer buyers are ill-prepared to
deal with admittedly THE MOST COMPLICATED operating system in the history of the
world. Lotsa tech support people are ill-prepared, too. Despite Microsoft's
braying on and on about reliable computing, we won't get there soon. The
complexities of the operating system will see to that.

So, yes, a lot of people are ignorant about computers. Probably they never
should have bought computers to begin with. I won't complain too loudly though.
What Dell lacks in tech support I can make up for locally and charge my clients,
who by and large are grateful for hands-on and personal tech support.

.... Ben Myers

On 22 Jul 2004 21:07:36 -0700, davids165@juno.com (David) wrote:

>"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<k%cLc.50832$5Y.47974@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
>> You raise good points, Stew, as usual.
>>
>> The fact is, people in India are no less intelligent than people in the
>> U.S., so to assail someone's intelligence merely because they are in India
>> is, in my opinion, nothing more than bigotry.
>>
>> Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
>> or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
>> so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
>> is, in my opinion, bigotry.
>>
>> People who live in the United States had better get used to foreign accents
>> and cultures because they are found in first-line public service positions
>> all over the country (the cashier at McDonalds, the clerk at the pharmacy,
>> etc.) Anyone who can't accept this had better head back to their cave.
>>
>> Technical support reps in foreign countries are no less sincere in their
>> desire to help or committed to providing good service than are those found
>> in the U.S. To berate someone merely because they come from a foreign
>> country is simply xenophobic - a trait Americans are known for,
>> unfortunately.
>>
>> Moreover, the rude and arrogant language used by the whiners in this group
>> very clearly shows off their attitudes and biases. They get what they
>> deserve.
>>
>> Rocky
>>
>I post this as an ex contract employee for Dell tech support.
>I HATED the contractor(in the US..about 3 years ago) that I worked for
>but DID learn a lot from the experience. I have a newer cheap Dell
>computer and would
>buy again from Dell for their low end computers (2400 or 4600). For
>higher end I would probably buy from a smaller company or build
>myself. As has been said many times....the easiest way to deal with
>Dell support is through email. Dell warrants hardware only in the
>basic warranty and if you know what is wrong...or think you do..this
>is the easiest way to go. I still do technical support
>for high speed internet for a major cable company. It still amazes me
>that
>people expect the cable company and the computer manufacture to help
>them
>understand the most basic of computer use and security of a computer.
>I do understand that viruses..spyware..etc are a BAD problem (on
>Windows OS computers) but this is STILL the users responsibility. I
>recommend new computer users visit their local library and check out
>some basic computer books (windows xp for dummys..etc) and if they
>would like a more thorough knowledge maybe subscribe to pcworld
>magazine etc. Ignorance is no excuse. Just my opinion.
>Dave
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On 22 Jul 2004 21:07:36 -0700, davids165@juno.com (David) wrote:

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:....
>> Technical support from India, or the Philipines or wherever else, is no more
>> or less qualified or better trained than support originating from the U.S.,
>> so to insult a tech because he or she is based outside the U.S. or Canada
>> is, in my opinion, bigotry. ....

........good stuff snipped...........


I just would like to reiterate what Rocket said. I had occasion to call
Dell Support late last night when my trusty old Dimension 4100 would not
boot and would not even recognize the C: drive.

The hold-time was unacceptable (about 40 minutes) but the technician was
quite helpful and eventually solved a rather complex and intractable
problem after being on the phone with me for over an hour.

Some random observations. At one point he said he would call me back
within five minutes. I figured that was the end and he was going to drop
me and take another call. But he called back just as he promised. Also
several times he said he needed to talk to his supervisor. But each time
he was back with me in short order.

This computer is four years old and has been out of warranty for at least
one year. I expected they wouldn't even talk to me, much less actually
solve my problem.

He was willing to listen to my suggestions. When he asked me to pull all
the connectors and open the case, I suggested we run the internal HD
diagnostics first. I didn't remember the exact sequence, but he did.
Ctrl-Alt-D at the Dell logo.

Once I was able to access the C: drive and was reinstalling windows he gave
me his direct line and extension in case there were further problems. There
weren't. He also promised to call me back this evening to see how
everything went.

I'm pretty sure that he was from India, but his English was good and his
accent very slight. In the past, I've dealt with worse accents and far
more clueless techs from Dell support in the United States.

I recently decided to upgrade to a new desktop. Because of all the bad
talk about outsourced tech support, I decided to buy locally. I think
outsourcing must be costing Dell some sales in the US, but they probably
make up for it in international sales.

My two cents.

--
NewsPlex Discussion Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewsPlex/
!