New Computer For College?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Hello, I am going into college for computer engineering and decided on building a new computer for this summer. I would consider myself a gamer because I can spend a considerable amount of time playing games on the PC. Anyways, I am wondering whether the list I will be providing of what I am going to build will be suitable for my roomate. Basically, I am looking for a case to house the following:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
Crucial Ballistix 2x512mb PC 3200 2-2-2-6
BFG Nvidia 7800 GTX OC 256MB
Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10k RPM
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner
ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply

I am curious as to which case would keep this not too loud as I do plan on overclocking. Also, I am looking for a case that will keep this cool too. As a first time builder, I am open to many changes excluding the RAM and the video card. Also, I am curious as to which fan configuration will work best whether the stock fans with the case or buying custom ones. Water cooling is currently out of the question. I do plan to overclock this some time in the future as well.

Thanks for even reading all this and do look forward to your comments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The best mobo for OCing is the DFI Lanparty (nforce 4 ultra)and a close second is the Epox (also nforce 4 ultra)

<b><font color=green>Celibacy is not hereditary<font color=green></b>

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Is there any kind of budget limitations for case? If you wanted to go crazy with it, you could spring for one of those superquiet Lian-Li ones. I personally would rather get a 7200 big hard drive but that's all in preference.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to school?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I think that the CPU is too expensive for the added performance. It's $150 more expensive than the 3700+ San Diego and it will only add 200MHz to your clock speed.

I don't think that you need SLI with that video card but it's your call.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I'm going to University of Massachusetts at Amherst. I have already spent 480 on the GTX card which is a lot. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $60-$150 on a case. I need nice air circulation inside because I can bet the stuff listed above will get rather hot. Would a mid case get too hot?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you're going to overclock mildly the stock fan is OK, and yeah the parts you chose are great but probably will get hot, and then hotter with the OC.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Well basically im hoping this computer will last me throughout all 4 years of college. I know I will be upgrading it but the motherboard, chip, powersupply, case, and ram are the only things that I hope to keep around. Your suggesting the 3.7 san diego over the 4ghz one? I initially considered this but figured the extra 200mhz would make a difference overclocked in the long run. Is this not the case?

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
$480 for that card is amazing lol! As long as it's a decent sized mid tower case I would not expect it to get too hot with adequate fan support of course. What types of cases do you prefer? Do you just want something to stick under the desk, or are you going to light it up and show it off?

The 3700+ rocks, you probably won't need any more than that, so yeah you might as well stuff that $150 in your pocket.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah I was able to get the GTX for 460 because I was able to buy a coupon on ebay for $1.99 for 25% off dell small business purchases. I just signed up for an account and bought it. As far as the case goes, I kind of want a nice one too look at but one that is not too bright or loud so i can keep it on at night in dorm room. I looked at some of the tinted acrylic ones that look real cool but how are they on the cooling factor?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
For overclocking, what should I get for a cooling fan? Is the stock one that comes with the 3700+ good enough for OC-ing?

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I've seen a couple cool acrylics lately but I've never owned one so I couldn't tell you about cooling. Some acrylics seem like they have fewer fan slots than standard cases. Ya I was going for that dell deal but I got to it too late and they raised the price.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
The deal ends at 12:00 tonite EST. If you buy on ebay the coupon you might be able to get away with it provided you are indeed looking for another card at this moment. I don't know about acrylic, after hearing everyone talk about overclocking the 3700+ im more interested into a good cooling case rather than the flashy bells and whistles type. Both would be great but then again you can't have your cake and eat it too.

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
If you get yourself a good HSF like a Zalman or something if it will fit your board, then you don't really need to worry much about a super-efficient cooling case.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I hear that the Zalman's are quite large. Are they going to interfere with perhaps the RAM slots on the DFI Lanboy SF4 MOBO that I will get? If the HSF does do a good job cooling, perhaps I will go with the clear tinted acrylic case.

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I'm not sure but check the Zalman website, they have a chart that lists compatibility with different motherboards. So check that and you'll be sure if it will work or not.

Zalman compatibility<A HREF="http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7700-754-939-940MBlist_eng.htm" target="_new">list</A>.
Thermalright XP-120 compatibility <A HREF="http://www.thermalright.com/product_default.htm" target="_new">list</A>

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
My mobo falls in the "Compatible if Zalman's ZM80#-HP VGA cooler is not installed." catagory. What does that exactly mean?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Well here is my wishlist at New Egg. (excluding the 7800gtx and 512mbx2 crucial ballistix pc3200ram)
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishDetail.asp?position=HISTORY&ID=1584849&WishListTitle=purchase?

What do you think?