TZ mod questions/Chris Hutchins

Chris Hutchins is doing another TZ restoration/reconstruction for me

What mods are winners ????

What about the original clock face?

The neon ramps?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Take Care

Gary/Arizona

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I just sold my TZ with the following mods: TZ sign on powerfield,
spinning slot machine on habitrail, gumballs in machine, and a
backboard decal. I felt these added some flair to the machine without
compromising the original layout. Too many mods can start to detract
from the game IMO. I like the colored clock face better.

martin

Reinforced targets; rebuilt slot scoop; enhanced speakers; flashers
(bayonet style) in the backbox.
Third magnet and 9.4H ROM

I would also vote for gumball lights (my version) and gumball half
filled with glossy gumballs, buit I am biased. It really does light up
the left rear of the machine. It also balances the LED glow if you
rebuild the clock with LEDs. Also, the Pinbotz backboard decal.

After that, we're off into cosmetics (my opinion).

Guys ... post links to the good stuff so we can order it up

Gary

martin

My gumball lamp site isn't quite ready yet, but I have some units, $45
shipped. This is way more light that the other kits, and provides both
GI white for brightening up the gumball and a visible red to indicate
that the gumball is ready to be loaded. Designed to integrate into the
factory wiring, it has connectors at the board and under the playfield
to maintain serviceability.

In the machine:
http://www.iobium.com/Twilight%20Zone/Gumball%20play.JPG

The kit:
http://www.iobium.com/DSCN1071.JPG

Nomad

OK I forgot 1 upgrade I did that I think is awesome: get the blue clock
housing from Mantis, along with the PinLiz LED boards it is way cool to
look at and really compliments the game I think.

nomad

the gumball light from www.pingizmos.com is very cool

I like the blue clock housing but just can't find the $ to get one

I also like the Powerfield lights - that powerfield is pretty dark

It's so nice to see an un molested TZ. I'm even sick of seeing gumball
mods.

The clear ramp looks better in TAF than TZ.

functional mods are great, junk all over a playfield is not so great.

-c

pt

>I personally don't care for dolls,cameras,pyramids,robots,pianos etc.
>The game is already pretty full and none of those things really look
>like they were meant to be there.

I agree that there are a lot of cheesy looking toys for TZ - mainly
from a certain someone... Aside from the mods Chris mentioned I have
some toys on my TZ that really look like they belong. The first three
below give a visual presence for three very important shots in the
game.

Tracy's Piano - its cut perfectly and incorporates the existing lights.

Tracy's Slot machine - It lights with the slot lamp and it just looks
damn cool when the wheels spin as the ball passes through. It looks
exactly like the slot machine in the artwork too.

Tracy's Robot - The three LEDs on this are usefull too. The two red
LEDs light with the 'Gum' and 'Ball' panels and the bright white LED in
the facemask lights when 'Multiball' is lit. I have grown used to
watching these LEDs instead of the playfield lights.

Martin's gumball lights - Looks cool and flashes red when gumball is
lit.

Backboard decal - nuff said

These are all a matter of personal preference, but when I see a TZ
without these items it just looks naked or incomplete. This machine
really lends itself to mods. With such high quality stuff available, I
see no reason not to go for a few of the better ones. Even if they are
considered eye candy only...

John

I would hardly consider the 3rd mag to be cosmetic. It is the single
best mod, or restored original feature if you will. imho, of course :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

thanks for all of the help guys ...

any final comments on the neon ramps?

or is that just too much

gary

Steve is frantically trying to make up more kits now. When I put Ron's
in we had to wait 3 weeks for the opto board and we had gotten his last
mag and pole with bracket. This is the first time I've used Steves kit
as I built them before myself. This kit makes it a cakewalk though and
you can't beat it for the price.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

bleh. serves no purpose. looks pimpy to me, like stupid spinning
hubcaps. they don't look cool, they look childish :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

Ron

my list of mods below ... but i am in violent agreement with martin,
nomad and others in focusing on functional / operational mod's ... and
then "pimp" it out from there as the spirt moves you.

you have tons of options as tz is one of the most modifiable pins on
the planet, and no matter what anyone says about future resale value
you hear from purests who want it "factory", but a wise man told this
newbie, "are you holding this pin for the next owner, or do you want to
enjoy now yourself now?

i like my tz, and in the end that's all that counts! do what you like,
but keep in mind the more you add, the more cluttered your pf will get,
and you do not want to lose sight of the ball.

you need to SERIOUSLYconsider martin's light kit ... i have one and it
is IMHO light years ahead of others i have seen ... it is BRIGHTER, a
TOTALLY complete kit requring no cutting of the diverter as he provides
a new one, and it has a cool red glow in addition to the VERY bright
white LED's. it is a well engineered product as well - just look at
the photos - you can't go wrong!

with cliffy's help ... here is a short list of what i did on my pin ...

FUNCTIONAL
- slot machine AND green clock target reinforcement to stop those
destructive airballs
- door flasher kit - an original feature cut out - but i'm from the
school more lights are better
- diverter magnet to stop balls from bouncing out
- third mag ... once you see the balls lock and quiver on all three
mag's and then drop, you will fall in love / lust with tz all over
again
- new backboard and sub speaker upgrades ... tony d. has a great site
on how to do it yourself with parts from parts express at half the
price than the more expensive, but plug and play pinball pro. this way
is a little more work as my cab SHAKES with bass at a lower cost (so
you can buy more mods \-)
- 9.4h rom to take advantage of the lost in the zone cheat and third
mag
- pin liz led clock kit - my clock cooked, and the liz made it come
back to life
- leg protectors. this is a must have
- mylar flipper area to eliminate further wear
- check your slot scoop, it is probably cracked - reweld or replace it
- orignal owner put the wrong spring (very strong) on the shooter, so
the skill shot scoop was cracked on mine ... make sure you get the weak
spring and check your scoop
- new balls. cheapest and best thing you can do to save your pf from
further wear.

COSMETIC - this is purely personal choice, but here is what i put in on
mine ....
- slot machine, lights up, and reel spins when ball goes through, it is
cool, but because of line of sight orientation - you really do not see
it well so consider this secondary in 20/20 hindsight.
- piano, this is good because it more clearly highlights the piano
target - especially for new players who don't even realize there is a
top flipper or piano shot.
- tz light shade above powerfield ... this is a GREAT mod, although it
is 3x time cost of the funhouse version \-(
- robot ... this is pretty expensive, but it does make the robot shot
easier to see, and although optional it is cool and my machine so i
bought it!
- cab decal on front (coin) door ... my cab is in great shape, but my
head was shot, and the front had a HUGE lock bar. if you have your
pins next to each other, the only thing you really see is the front of
the head, and coin door. side decals were a very nice addtion, but the
sanding of the face so it is smooth and edges sharp made all the
diffeance in the world. new front decal a must if it is not clean
since this is what you see every day.
- buff out your lock bar as you look at this all the time as well. i
had lots of scratches, and after you regrain and shine it, it will feel
like a new machine.
- spray paint the inside cab black at the end to get rid of all the
scrape marks. i also put a thin strip of felt on the side of the pf to
help prevent / minimize future scrapes.
- background decal, a nice addtion as tz ... add if you like to add
some color to the background ... leave off if you like a nice clean
look ... being black on a tz is not a bad thing since it has a "dark"
mood to it due to theme.

the only thing that is not reversable back to factory spec is the third
mag since the pf had to be drilled.

the only other items i would consider is the blue clock housing - i
replaced mine before it came out. a clear ramp would be a good upgrade
if yours is cracked anyway to lighten up the pf. maybe the rocket too,
as this is used on every skill shot. i DO draw the line at a neon
ramp, that is waaaaaaaaaaay over the top for me \-).

did some other odd's and ends ... working on a site to show the cliffy
restoration process and the rest of the mods / fixes.

good luck.

ron

You forgot the street lamp we added under the left side plastic. This I
learned from Kerry Richard and it really looks like it should have been
there all along.
I also made a protector for the right side sign on the mini pf since
airballs destroy that plastic there.
I made a protector for the plywood edge of the mini pf as well as
airballs had damaged the wood pretty bad.
I made a slot target stiffener, better in appearance than any I've seen
to date, of course :)
Lastly, we swapped out all the black wedge sockets in the backboard and
changed to bayonet sockets to run 455 blinkers :)

--

On 20 Sep 2005 22:19:53 -0700, "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Reinforced targets; rebuilt slot scoop; enhanced speakers; flashers
>(bayonet style) in the backbox.
>Third magnet and 9.4H ROM
>
>I would also vote for gumball lights (my version) and gumball half
>filled with glossy gumballs, buit I am biased. It really does light up
>the left rear of the machine. It also balances the LED glow if you
>rebuild the clock with LEDs. Also, the Pinbotz backboard decal.
>
>After that, we're off into cosmetics (my opinion).

Don't forget the Orbit plastic protectors!

Here are the mods I like to put on or would recommend.Most are just
upgrades or functional.
Third magnet
PinLiz clock boards
Clear ramp(brightens up the game)
Gumballs
Kerrys scoops
Reinforced targets(slot and clock)
Door flashers
Clear clock housing
I have a couple blue ones but haven't used them yet so I can't express an
honest opinion.I think they are going to look great though.

I personally don't care for dolls,cameras,pyramids,robots,pianos etc.The
game is already pretty full and none of those things really look like they
were meant to be there.

--
Christopher Hutchins
www.highendpins.com

<gpctv02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Chris Hutchins is doing another TZ restoration/reconstruction for me
>
> What mods are winners ????
>
> What about the original clock face?
>
> The neon ramps?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated
>
> Take Care
>
> Gary/Arizona

Here are the mods i have if you would like to see a pic let me know

Tracy
slot machine - very nicely built
robot - undecided

pinball pro
pyrmid topper - fits theme well but did not look right untill i bought
the invader doll to put next to it
piano rocket- great mod alittle friagle
piano - nice mod
camera with LEDS - great mod worth it

maddamusements
clear ramp - super highly recommend
red clock - super highly recommend

pin lizzard
clock boards i did not need them but i really like the lighting - super

highly recommend

orbit pinball
plastic protectors - got to have them

pinball magic
neon light kit - i like it alot!

pin gizmo
gumball sparkle kit uses LEDS - super highly recommend
door flasher kit - not bad

pinball life
glass gumballs - the best ones i found

treasure cove
polishing kit
backboard decal nicely done worth it

Ray

Ron

regarding cliffy's post on all the new tz protectors he made for me ...
these were all custom made one of a kind protectors for my pin, which
is why i did not bring them up ...

HOWEVER, if enough of you guys raise your hand, maybe cliffy will see
enough demand for cliffy's to take this custom TZ protectors into for
general production for the slot machine target, magnaflip, and
powerfield.

most of the damage that cliffy had to repair and eliminate on my pin
came from flying balls off the slot machine target, and to a lessor
extent, general game play.

the coolest cliffy protector was for the slot target. even though i
bought the special re-enforced target from steve at pinball resource,
as much as that gets hit, i felt a whole lot better when cliffy added
his target stiffener that not only supports this much abused target,
but adds support to the yellow 5M greed targets on the side as well for
extra credit and is invisable from the players perspective. result -
ZERO air balls today - and i am sure for the far distant future as
well.

you often times see the magna flip sign for sale, the reason is it
often gets cracked - check yours. my sign is now totally re-enforced
with a backing to prevent further damage.

to elaborate on the mini playfield protector, an airball destroyed a
two inch section of my powerfield. this is because the hole cut
underneith the powerfield for the magnetic flippers was so close to the
edge it left only a very thin layer of wood on the side. one good hit
and it is gone.

your milage may very ... maybe i have just been unlucky with my tz in
the past, but it sure plays smoothly now \-)

hope this helps,

\ron

Andy

I don't like them personally - wasn't going to toss that in there but since
you asked specifically....

But I will say (on another mod topic) that the swamp and graveyard lighting
Chris did to light up your Addams is so cool I am having him add it to mine.
That really lights up those otherwise dark areas on that game, very nice and
inexpensive to add since its just a couple of bulbs and bulb covers.

Andy

> thanks for all of the help guys ...
>
> any final comments on the neon ramps?
>
> or is that just too much
>
> gary

Cliffy:

Thanks for the kind words! Another batch of kits is a couple of weeks away.

Stay tuned!

Steve

"Cliffy" <crinear@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Steve is frantically trying to make up more kits now. When I put Ron's
> in we had to wait 3 weeks for the opto board and we had gotten his last
> mag and pole with bracket. This is the first time I've used Steves kit
> as I built them before myself. This kit makes it a cakewalk though and
> you can't beat it for the price.
>
> cpiel wrote:
> > Gary . . . You can find the 3rd magnet kit at:
> >
> > http://www.pingizmos.com
> >

> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2
> A passion for pinball!
> http://www.passionforpinball.com

Sandro

Cliffy wrote:
> You forgot the street lamp we added under the left side plastic. This I
> learned from Kerry Richard and it really looks like it should have been
> there all along.

Cliffy,

could you elaborate on this mod, or post a pic? I can't quite figure
out what you mean here.

-Sandro