Shock2oo6

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
hello,

Im looking to build my first gaming computer, I dont know what to get, im completely new, can you please help me build a system for £600 to £1000, i dont need a moniter,mouse,keyboard, etc just the computer.

thanks.

First go and read the FAQs in the HDD, CPU, Motherboards and Graphics card forums on these boards. Then find some reviews on different hardware at review sites. Some good sites are <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/" target="_new">Xbitlabs]</A> and <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/default.aspx" target="_new">Anandtech</A>.

Make some basic decisions on what you want in your system and then post a basic system for us to critique. It will be more of a learning experience for you and you will better understand/appreciate how to build a computer.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Motherboard: Epox nForce 4 ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core
RAM: 1GB (2 X 512 Kit)

Check for prices on these items on the UK, then see how much you have left. You still need a video card, case, power supply, DVD burner (or the optical drive of your choice), and a hard drive.

The items I told you are the basic ones, the ones left have to be chosen according to what you want to be the strength of your system. For a gaming rig the most important part is the video card, you should get at least a 6600GT or the equivalent ATI card, another important item is the power supply, try to get a good brand, don't just buy it for its wattage.

Read the FAQs so you learn something from this,(as said before) and post your questions.

<b><font color=green>Celibacy is not hereditary<font color=green></b>

jinshifu

Distinguished
May 16, 2005
I would suggest you first start out with the core parts, either the cpu or the mobo, and then build everything else around it. And yea, for games, 1gb of ram is 'nuff for now, but if you plan to use this rig for a while go with 2 x 1GB sticks of dual channel ram, and make sure u get a mobo that supports it. But then again, that might be pushin your budget a bit