Which monitor to choose?

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hello everyone!

Can you help me when choosing a monitor. What is the advantage displays with HDMI. What is the difference between 2ms and 5ms, what is better? I can buy one of the following:

- SAMSUNG S23B300H

- AOC E2343F2

- SAMSUNG S23B300HS

- PHILIPS 248C3LHSW/00

- SAMSUNG S24B300HS

- SAMSUNG T23A350

- HP 2311X

- Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

- PHILIPS 247E3LSU/00

Which to choose?

Thanks in advance! :)

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I can't really say which to choose, but i do like Samsungs, I have a 22in 2ms 226BW which is still kicking from 2007 when i got it. Dell Ultrasharps are always a good choice if you can afford them, I have several at home, ranging from 2003-2009, and the color on them is excellent. Another thing about the Ultrasharps too, is that they are actually re-branded Samsungs. HP also makes good monitors, but i have limited experience with them compared to Dell and Samsung.

As for 2ms vs 5ms, the lower the value, the better it handle motion. Like if you are playing a game or watching a movie on a 2ms vs 5ms, there will be less blur since the monitor will be able to handle what it's playing.

For your first question with HDMI, i personally don't see any advantage with having it, unless you are using the monitor as a TV or game system monitor too. But if you have HDMI, it's definitely not a negative to have, so if you get an Ultrasharp and it has HDMI with the other inputs, you can always switch inputs with the onboard button. I would say to look for DVI, since that is the same digital signal that HDMI projects, it just doesn't carry audio like HDMI does, but if the HDMI is going into a monitor without built-in speakers, there's really no point in using it. But it all depends on what kind of graphics card you have the outputs it has on it, be it VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Thank you very much! :D

But Dell Ultrasharp have response time of 8ms!? :S It is very bad or what? It haven not HDMI... I will use monitor for gaming, int surfing... Can you tell me something about AOC E2343F2? AOC have two HDMI, 2ms response time..

Thanks!

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Oh i wasn't even aware of the response times for the Ultrasharps, i use them more for business and animation rendering, so that's not too demanding, like gaming would be. In this case, you might want to stay with Samsung. That Samsung you had posted a link too, i actually used that at work for some time, and it really is a nice monitor, though i wasn't able to play games at work :sol:. From what i'm looking up about AOC, they're not receiving the best of reviews for that monitor, but i still have never used one before, i am more a proponent of the Samsungs. As for the difference between the Dell and Samsung, obiosuly the reponse time is significant, but the Dell would offer vertical monitor support, which i don't know if you would ever use that or not. The contrast ratio on the Samsung is better as well, which would offer deeper blacks when playing a game or watching a movie. I honestly think you'll be happy with the Samsung though, it looks like it would fit your needs, but do try to look for a 2ms one. I'll try doing some research on it later today, i don't have time right now to do so.

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Ok, thanks! :)
Is better for gaming to use monitor with 2ms (AOC for example) or 8ms (Dell Ultrasharp), HDMI or some other port?

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012

In regards to the ports, no, but it really depends on how you recognize things. Say, for example, can you recognize the difference between the 720p and a 1080p movie? If you can't, then you probably won't notice a difference between response times in monitors. It really depends on your attention to detail and if you see the subtle differences.