So I've got a (relatively) old laptop that I'd still like to be able to use, however the power plug seems to have failed. I cleaned/reseated it once and got it to work for a few minutes but it doesn't like being moved and has reverted a couple times now. Should I be concerned about bypassing the connector entirely and wiring up the power brick directly to the laptop? The battery is good for only 20 minutes anyway so being permanantely attached to the wall isn't a big deal. Not sure if this really introduces any safety issues assuming I get the wires connected correctly Thanks for any suggestions.
I wouldn't recommend it, simply out of safety concerns. It's probably possible, but I've never done it before. Take a closer look at the power connector and ensure that everything looks ok. If you see some questionable areas, bust out the soldering gun and solder and touch it up a bit to see if that helps.