Hard wiring laptop power brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
So I've got a (relatively) old laptop that I'd still like to be able to use, however the power plug seems to have failed. I cleaned/reseated it once and got it to work for a few minutes but it doesn't like being moved and has reverted a couple times now. Should I be concerned about bypassing the connector entirely and wiring up the power brick directly to the laptop? The battery is good for only 20 minutes anyway so being permanantely attached to the wall isn't a big deal. Not sure if this really introduces any safety issues assuming I get the wires connected correctly :p Thanks for any suggestions.

I wouldn't recommend it, simply out of safety concerns. It's probably possible, but I've never done it before. Take a closer look at the power connector and ensure that everything looks ok. If you see some questionable areas, bust out the soldering gun and solder and touch it up a bit to see if that helps.

You have two problems: a bad power connector to the laptop and an old, failing battery. First thing you need to decide is if the expense of a new battery is worth it.

Other problem - I'd fix it right instead of doing a work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS