Sign in with
Your question

Problem installing windows 8

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
June 19, 2012 3:10:14 PM

Hello,
earlier i tried to install windows 8 release preview but i got a message saying "windows 8 cannot finish installation" so it began restoring back to windows 7. i used the installer provided by microsoft not a cd or usb. i also tried to install it on my cousins pc which worked fine but why is it not working for me? is their something i should be doing that im not?

pc specs:
processor: amd phenom II 555 black edition dualcore
graphics: ati hd6770
sound card: onboard
ram: 2x 4gb memory (8gb)
hard drive: 1tb
wireless keyboard and moue
June 19, 2012 3:14:37 PM

When I tested Windows 8 I used a spare drive to avoid any issues.
It installed without issues.
Then confirmed that there was no point to ever use Windows 8.
(I wanted to see for myself)
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 19, 2012 3:47:37 PM

^ +10
I also installed to a seperate SSD, with MY Win7 SSD DISCONNECTED.

Installation went great, boot time was great. Tried it out - Removed and threw my Windows 8 RC DVD in the trash.

Great if you want to emulate a tablet - O Waite I already have a tablet. Reading inbetween the lines, windows 8 may not go over big as it does NOT look like Corpoarations will be buying and putting on Laptops/desktops.
Only positives I've I seen come from thoes who LOVE everything NEW.
It does have some advantage, but in my view the disadvantages out weigh the advantages.

Sounds like another windows ME in the works!!
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 4:49:25 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ +10
I also installed to a seperate SSD, with MY Win7 SSD DISCONNECTED.

Installation went great, boot time was great. Tried it out - Removed and threw my Windows 8 RC DVD in the trash.

Great if you want to emulate a tablet - O Waite I already have a tablet. Reading inbetween the lines, windows 8 may not go over big as it does NOT look like Corpoarations will be buying and putting on Laptops/desktops.
Only positives I've I seen come from thoes who LOVE everything NEW.
It does have some advantage, but in my view the disadvantages out weigh the advantages.

Sounds like another windows ME in the works!!

actually is worse.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:12:29 PM

drwho1 said:
actually is worse.

how could you say that Win8 is worse than Windows ME? have you ever used it?! last time i checked windows 8 bluescreens about 1/100th of the time as WinME ever did, has less holes in the security and is just over all better, minus the metro UI.

Grow up people don't compare a good structured OS (again minus the metro UI) to a POS, like WinME.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:19:33 PM

Installed windows 8 over XP and love it hasn't crashed on me once. No idea what's wrong, are you installing it by downloading the ISO and making an installation disk?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 19, 2012 5:25:00 PM

While I agree with " last time i checked windows 8 bluescreens about 1/100th of the time as WinME ever did, has less holes in the security " But Here comparision should be between Win98SE and Win ME. For win8 should be Win7 vs Win 8, And I never get Blue screens in Windows 7, so for me that is a NON issue, Never had a virus, so again a NON issue for Me!!!
But yes BOOT TIME is great, Went from 15 Sec down to 8 Sec, Gee I can take a swallow of coffee first thing in the morning - LOL.

My comment is on "EXCEPTANCE".
Just as the Bussiness comunity stuck with windows 98SE, and did not go for ME, so it appears with Windows8 vs Windows 7.

And YES i've tried it for a day, in that period I was convinced that it will need some major revisions before I will use. And Yes I'll try it again - AFTER about 6 Monthes post Consummer release date!!! And I do NOT need to grow up.

Added:
Inividuals here are on the "Cutting edge" and tend to embrace the "NEW" that does NOT always translate to NEW is BETTER. Take a look at Financial reports on what bussinesses are likely to do.
MS cash cow are:
.. OEM copies sold with computers - They will do good here - strong arm approach, ie not much choice for Joe Public.
.. Corporate sales - Looking like NOT so good here.
.. PC Builders - Not near the percentage, and Will not really know untill 6 Months AFTER it is officially released.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:34:10 PM

i would consider dual boot or VM

or do a clean install

i downloaded the ISO and just made a USB boot...
didnt want to add extra fluff with the windows install program

windows 8 has pros and cons... the behind the scenes stuff is great, its the metro that is hard to love
m
l
June 20, 2012 6:23:43 PM

ROBI_G. no i used the setup application provided. the only solution i can think of is to uninstall my graphics card drivers and then try to install windows 8.
m
l
!